New food please help!!

Bhaverstock1

Jun 24, 2016
Murray, KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella Artois and Dozer Jordan
I am changing Stella to a new food and I've narrowed it down to 2 foods. Either Orijen Grain Free or Acana Grain Free formulas. Anyone out there had luck with either of these 2? If so, which formula works the best.. there are so many to choose from! She is currently on Fromm and getting a lot of UTIs. I'm wanting to put her on a lower carb kibble. I read that sometimes helps. I also got D Mannose and Cranberry to mix with her food as soon as she finishes up her antibiotics. I need all the help I can get. Thanks guys!!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I've used both ( Canadian versions ) and had good luck with both. Some people here have reported problems with the US Acana bags, so maybe it would be safer to start with Orijen which is higher protein as well. Your dog could be having struvite crystals in urine, so it's a great idea to go low carbohydrate and high protein. It's very important for dogs with frequent uti's to drink a lot of water so I would mix the kibble with water if your dog does not tend to drink a lot. I'd also recommend a probiotic to help prevent future uti's, along with the d-mannose powder. Herbsmith Microflora Plus and Proviable DC are two examples of good brands of probiotics. You could also try instead of a doggie probiotic sauerkraut that you buy from the refrigerator section at the supermarket, since it is much higher in bacteria than yoghurt. Start slow with sauerkraut, about 1/2 tablespoon a day, and increase over a week to 1-2 tablespoons per day.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I am changing Stella to a new food and I've narrowed it down to 2 foods. Either Orijen Grain Free or Acana Grain Free formulas. Anyone out there had luck with either of these 2? If so, which formula works the best.. there are so many to choose from! She is currently on Fromm and getting a lot of UTIs. I'm wanting to put her on a lower carb kibble. I read that sometimes helps. I also got D Mannose and Cranberry to mix with her food as soon as she finishes up her antibiotics. I need all the help I can get. Thanks guys!!

Lower carb is the Acana. Stick to the ones with one protein. Like that if there's any allergies you can narrow it down easier. Just a thought. Orijen, Acana n Fromm are great kibbles if thats what you want to stick with.

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
I tried Orijen and the food was ok my only real issue with it was the dreadful tear stains it caused. It's a trial and error situation with kibble I've since switched to raw he is doing great.
Hope one of them work out for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Karen100

Apr 14, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie,Taylor,Gatsby
Just got Acana for Taylor who was having a lot of problems. It seems to be really helping her.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm starting a food trial as well, and I'm choosing from Acana or Orijen as well. Both have great ratings so honestly I think it's up to trial and error... we are using Fromm's (another great food) but Walter is still having issues.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I never tried the Acana Singles line, but that is the way to go with dogs that are having issues. Right now I'm trialing Easyraw dehydrated dog food on my bully with allergy issues, but if I ever go back to kibble I'm starting with the Acana Singles or Zignature limited ingredient

I'm starting a food trial as well, and I'm choosing from Acana or Orijen as well. Both have great ratings so honestly I think it's up to trial and error... we are using Fromm's (another great food) but Walter is still having issues.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I'm giving mine Acana single protein right now. At first they gobbled it down (pork protein). But now Lockjaw seems disinterested, but Penny still ate fine. I just got the the Duck and pear yesterday. They ate it ok yesterday, but this morning both seemed a bit disinterested in it. I'll try mixing in some of the Tilleys cooked food in it and see how they like it.
I thought Lockjaws appetite was just lowering a bit since it's been so hot, it with Penny not really "gobbling" it down, I think they may not like it. I'm going to give it a few more days- if still the same, then I'll call chewy to get a different brand. I was feeding Penny Canine Caviar (highly rated, yet not well know ) and she really liked it and did very well in it. I might go back to them.
That food is an "alkalined based" food. Single protein, but might be good to look into if your baby it gettin UTI's. I did a 10-wk pH challenge with them and Penny was very acidic- through the weeks, her acidity lowered and her pH was within a normal range.
The only reason I switched was I was giving Lockjaw Acana, and I think Acana was a little cheaper, so I figured I would see how Penny did on that. But now, I might be going back to Canine Caviar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I never tried the Acana Singles line, but that is the way to go with dogs that are having issues. Right now I'm trialing Easyraw dehydrated dog food on my bully with allergy issues, but if I ever go back to kibble I'm starting with the Acana Singles or Zignature limited ingredient

As soon as Wally gets better I'm going to start a food trial... and Thanks for your input. I think the limited ingredients is the way to go...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
As soon as Wally gets better I'm going to start a food trial... and Thanks for your input. I think the limited ingredients is the way to go...

Like mentioned when you do the single protein its so easy to narrow down a protein allergy. That's what i did with Nyala and today I'll know what she can have and not. So far im lucky as she can eat anything. HK n SF she's good too. Much harder on older dogs as thsur system is already built. Why I believe one single protein per month or finish the bag which takes about a month anyway. Even if they are doing great on that bag, I still went to another protein so I can eliminate my list.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
From what I have read,only 10% of dog's allergies are due to food, the other 90% are environmental. And the only sure way to diagnose a food allergy is by an elimination diet ( limited ingredient single protein dog food being the easiest way to do that ). The best way to diagnose environmental allergies is by skin testing, not by saliva or blood.

I'm not sure if I believe that the 10%/90% rule applies to bulldogs, since they seem to have a lot of food allergies compared to other dogs.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
From what I have read,only 10% of dog's allergies are due to food, the other 90% are environmental. And the only sure way to diagnose a food allergy is by an elimination diet ( limited ingredient single protein dog food being the easiest way to do that ). The best way to diagnose environmental allergies is by skin testing, not by saliva or blood.

I'm not sure if I believe that the 10%/90% rule applies to bulldogs, since they seem to have a lot of food allergies compared to other dogs.

I have read and heard the same thing. I have also heard that the majority of food "allergies" are not actually allergies but more of a food intolerance.

Jax was tested for environmental allergies and is allergic to everything green outside. No vets in my area will go a blood test or any kind of test for food as they say it is not reliable enough and that the only way to know for sure is to do an elimination diet. I know Jax gets itchy on beef and he broke out when he got turkey.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm giving mine Acana single protein right now. At first they gobbled it down (pork protein). But now Lockjaw seems disinterested, but Penny still ate fine. I just got the the Duck and pear yesterday. They ate it ok yesterday, but this morning both seemed a bit disinterested in it. I'll try mixing in some of the Tilleys cooked food in it and see how they like it.
I thought Lockjaws appetite was just lowering a bit since it's been so hot, it with Penny not really "gobbling" it down, I think they may not like it. I'm going to give it a few more days- if still the same, then I'll call chewy to get a different brand. I was feeding Penny Canine Caviar (highly rated, yet not well know ) and she really liked it and did very well in it. I might go back to them.
That food is an "alkalined based" food. Single protein, but might be good to look into if your baby it gettin UTI's. I did a 10-wk pH challenge with them and Penny was very acidic- through the weeks, her acidity lowered and her pH was within a normal range.
The only reason I switched was I was giving Lockjaw Acana, and I think Acana was a little cheaper, so I figured I would see how Penny did on that. But now, I might be going back to Canine Caviar.

You know I think that you are spot on about the weather... my pups don't seem to want to eat as much, and I'm fine w/that. I don't like to eat a lot when it's hot as well.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank

"

aww yes.... ,, the canine caviar is one that my very 'only feed raw' doggie healthy pet food lady recommends... I had forgotten about that one..

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
"

aww yes.... ,, the canine caviar is one that my very 'only feed raw' doggie healthy pet food lady recommends... I had forgotten about that one..

I really like it. Some of their formulas are pretty pricey- but the food is very good. It's also a "small" kibble which I think Penny enjoyed more too. Lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online