Needing some advice

minton5825

Mar 11, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Spike
We have the kindest, most beautiful Olde English Bulldogge named Lola. She is so perfect but has 1 major problem I need help with. When anyone comes around, she wants to jump on them. She is not aggressive, but overly friendly. We have been to 2 classes, but to no avail. She is 15 months old and about 52 lbs so she would knock someone over if they weren’t aware of her.

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
We have the kindest, most beautiful Olde English Bulldogge named Lola. She is so perfect but has 1 major problem I need help with. When anyone comes around, she wants to jump on them. She is not aggressive, but overly friendly. We have been to 2 classes, but to no avail. She is 15 months old and about 52 lbs so she would knock someone over if they weren’t aware of her.

You will have to teach her not to do that. My adopted adult did that until she learned it's not acceptable, but still will try to get away with it at times. I don't have many visitors at all, so it's taken longer to teach her not to do that than everything else.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Ignore her and turn away, ask visitors to do the same. Tell her to sit. She will do everything she can to get attention. When she finds something that is acceptable, such as sitting, praise and pet her. It won't take long at all. When I get home from work I don't greet my overexcited dogs until I put everything away. It gives them a minute to calm down and Bruno runs to find a bone because he thinks it will get him greeted faster.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Consistency is key... to reinforce good behavior, she will have to earn the right to get attention. It's easier said than done... but it WILL help her to make better choices!!!

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
My boy does this too! I will be taking all the good advice you are given as well! Maybe we can do this together [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great advice so far from the team... also put a leash on and stand on it to prevent the jumping and treat when she doesn’t jump... it take time but can be trained to sit for attention

OP
M

minton5825

Mar 11, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Spike
Good all around advice. I have tried most of this as most of the time I don’t know when someone will pop in. Will just keep trying all of the advice. Thanks everyone

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good all around advice. I have tried most of this as most of the time I don’t know when someone will pop in. Will just keep trying all of the advice. Thanks everyone

Yep... they are stubborn buggers! My girl LOVED children and it took us months to get her trained not to jump

OP
M

minton5825

Mar 11, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Spike
Has anyone bought a life vest for their bulldog and what brand is the best for oeb and eb?

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Has anyone bought a life vest for their bulldog and what brand is the best for oeb and eb?

you may want to post a new thread with this question. A lot of people will only read a thread once or twice. Our first bulldog, Mimi, could swim. None of our other bulldogs have ever been exposed to deep water so I am not able to answer the Vest question.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, search to forum... there are a few threads with recommendations

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Where are the pictures?????????????????

Mechadogzilla

Nov 15, 2020
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo(English Bulldog) and Hans(Rottweiler)
What has worked for me in the past is turning my back when that behavior is exhibited. When I turn around, I immediately give sit command and give attention - which is what the dog is looking for.

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
What has worked for me in the past is turning my back when that behavior is exhibited. When I turn around, I immediately give sit command and give attention - which is what the dog is looking for.

I did that in "bad dog moments", and now I think I've messed up by doing that. It no longer bothers my girl and the bad behaviors have intensified, it's like she got it in her head that her behaviors are acceptable and mom will only turn her back and ignore me. There's no reprocussion, I won't spank her, she's obviously been abused in her past, but now if she's in trouble and I reach for her collar to catch her or get her under control she has began snapping at me (only during that time of the month for me) I have no clue what to do.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.