Needing some advice

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I did that in "bad dog moments", and now I think I've messed up by doing that. It no longer bothers my girl and the bad behaviors have intensified, it's like she got it in her head that her behaviors are acceptable and mom will only turn her back and ignore me. There's no reprocussion, I won't spank her, she's obviously been abused in her past, but now if she's in trouble and I reach for her collar to catch her or get her under control she has began snapping at me (only during that time of the month for me) I have no clue what to do.

She is becoming more comfortable and has learned your limitations.... she needs boundaries and to know you are alpha. Nothing in life is free is an easy to use training tool. If needed, could you hire an in home trainer to help you get started for a few hours?

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ioral/33985-life-free-training-technique.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
She is becoming more comfortable and has learned your limitations.... she needs boundaries and to know you are alpha. Nothing in life is free is an easy to use training tool. If needed, could you hire an in home trainer to help you get started for a few hours?

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ioral/33985-life-free-training-technique.html

Thank you for the link and advice. I have been doing everything in that article/link but it's made me feel less like I've messed up. My friend and I have both been researching Shirley's new and recent behaviors. What we've found is that overbred "queens" (I'd rather call them that than bitches) is that when spayed later in life especially by laser they are more prone to having ovarian remnant syndrome. Shirley turns 7 on April 27th and was just laser spayed on December 2nd so it's only been 3 months. If my menstrual cycle is her trigger to snap at me, I don't know what to do, if I could make it stop, trust me... I can't wait for it to! She gets very excited when I watch YouTube videos by other members or bulldog channels I subscribe to with puppies, she's unconcerned with adult bulldog barks etc in the videos. She's also recently been ferociously nesting in her blankets. Her favorite toys are rubber squeaky piggies that she licks on and acts motherly to. Here's some photos with her Mr oinks.

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
20210107_075942.jpg
20210107_075940.jpg
20210107_142327.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My guys nest like crazy.. Cheli will go for a straight five minutes and I have to stopHim..... it at times drives me insane.

I no longer get a cycle so not sure how that plays in .

I also have that piggy in their toy box— they hate it. My girl, Banks loved it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
My guys nest like crazy.. Cheli will go for a straight five minutes and I have to stopHim..... it at times drives me insane.

I no longer get a cycle so not sure how that plays in .

I also have that piggy in their toy box— they hate it. My girl, Banks loved it

Since Shirley realized this is her HOME and started settling in she had been nesting very slightly, just to bunch up her blankets to get comfy on, recently she's been obsessively nesting and getting up every 2-3 minutes and ferociously nesting doing a dozen circles and digging hard in her blankets trying to move them to absolute perfect position. Of course I get ignored when I ask her what she's doing or why she's doing that, but she just refuses to answer �� I have had no problem previously grabbing her collar even in bad dog moments, she would kind of cower if I was getting on to her, but when I'm on my cycle she's started snapping at me and honestly has me afraid she will bite me. I know she's had a horrible past but she should know by now I'm not going to hit, kick, or hurt her. If she has that ovarian remnant syndrome the hormones maybe could explain her aggressive behavior towards me during mine. I've had mine almost 41 years now I am so ready for it to shut down! She is other bulldog aggressive but not aggressive towards other breeds. That I chalk up to her past breeder life. My friend thinks the collar issue could be from her being held down against her will for breeding or the artificial insemination or having leash yanked on really hard. She did snap at me twice the other day and I thought maybe putting the leash on would show her I'm not after her collar and she forgot she was on leash, went and took off almost pulling me over but when the pressure from the leash tightening, she swung around and snapped and kinda growled at me. So once she calmed down I took leash off thinking that wasn't a bright idea. I am at a total loss here I have no clue what to do, if she continues my only option would be to return her to the rescue and that will break my heart. We are only just over 2 months in here....

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Since Shirley realized this is her HOME and started settling in she had been nesting very slightly, just to bunch up her blankets to get comfy on, recently she's been obsessively nesting and getting up every 2-3 minutes and ferociously nesting doing a dozen circles and digging hard in her blankets trying to move them to absolute perfect position. Of course I get ignored when I ask her what she's doing or why she's doing that, but she just refuses to answer �� I have had no problem previously grabbing her collar even in bad dog moments, she would kind of cower if I was getting on to her, but when I'm on my cycle she's started snapping at me and honestly has me afraid she will bite me. I know she's had a horrible past but she should know by now I'm not going to hit, kick, or hurt her. If she has that ovarian remnant syndrome the hormones maybe could explain her aggressive behavior towards me during mine. I've had mine almost 41 years now I am so ready for it to shut down! She is other bulldog aggressive but not aggressive towards other breeds. That I chalk up to her past breeder life. My friend thinks the collar issue could be from her being held down against her will for breeding or the artificial insemination or having leash yanked on really hard. She did snap at me twice the other day and I thought maybe putting the leash on would show her I'm not after her collar and she forgot she was on leash, went and took off almost pulling me over but when the pressure from the leash tightening, she swung around and snapped and kinda growled at me. So once she calmed down I took leash off thinking that wasn't a bright idea. I am at a total loss here I have no clue what to do, if she continues my only option would be to return her to the rescue and that will break my heart. We are only just over 2 months in here....

It takes a rescue dog up to 6 months to fully decompress. Might be good to have her thyroid checked.. if off, it can cause sudden aggression.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] . Any other suggestions?

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
It takes a rescue dog up to 6 months to fully decompress. Might be good to have her thyroid checked.. if off, it can cause sudden aggression.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] . Any other suggestions?

When a rescue takes a new dog in and vet does exam with all these vaccinations, heartworm test, and a fecal on November 6th and post surgery blood work after her laser spay on December 2nd, if there was a thyroid issue, wouldn't it have been found then by any of the things they did? Exam, fecal, heartworm, and blood test. I would think the rescue would have a complete work up done before making a dog available for adoption or not mentioning any special needs or medications that are needed.
6 months for a rescue to fully decompress and we just over 2 months in and she's aggressive towards me during my time of month, I can't keep her if she's going to be like this to me every time I cycle (which has been all sorts abnormal since the wreck) I get a week and half between, so basically twice a month I'll have to be scared of Shirley afraid she's going to bite or attack me? This isn't looking too promising.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Lynne,
If she is snapping at you or showing any aggression you probably need to show her you are the pack leader. two easy ways. #1 roll her on her side with her legs away from you. put one hand one her shoulder and one hand on her hip. start at 30 seconds. This should cause her to submit and lay quietly. if that doesn't work, #2 roll her on her back and put your hands in her armpits (like you are going to lift a child) and gently hold her there. When she rolls her head to the side and relaxes release her. When she rolls her head to the side she has submitted. It is not mean. It is normal pack behavior. She will be much happier if she knows her place in the pack. My vet taught us to do this with our first bulldog. When she rolled her head for him he said she was a good dog keep her.

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Lynne,
If she is snapping at you or showing any aggression you probably need to show her you are the pack leader. two easy ways. #1 roll her on her side with her legs away from you. put one hand one her shoulder and one hand on her hip. start at 30 seconds. This should cause her to submit and lay quietly. if that doesn't work, #2 roll her on her back and put your hands in her armpits (like you are going to lift a child) and gently hold her there. When she rolls her head to the side and relaxes release her. When she rolls her head to the side she has submitted. It is not mean. It is normal pack behavior. She will be much happier if she knows her place in the pack. My vet taught us to do this with our first bulldog. When she rolled her head for him he said she was a good dog keep her.

I'd love to be able to try either suggestion, however I was left disabled from being hit by a car with numerous physical limitations, TBI, and a flail right arm and hand. Basically a dead arm hanging off my shoulder. Non functioning with no feeling to touch. I have a 10lb weight limit on my left arm. She weighs 56.8lbs. She has when she first started this behavior put her mouth and teeth on me but didn't bite down thankfully. If she bites my only functioning arm or hand, I am completely screwed. I'm alone and out in the country isolated. I am physically incapable of putting her into a laying position or holding her down to show dominance. I've considered trying to bite her ear like I did with my Great Danes but my teeth were knocked out in the wreck as well. I'm not trying to come up with excuses, but if anyone knows any way for me to get around my limitations I'd be grateful and appreciate any and all suggestions to try! I really don't want to have to return Shirley to the rescue, but I can't have an animal that makes me scared of them at any time. I can't remove the trigger if my menstrual cycle is her trigger, I have zero control over that.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
I'd love to be able to try either suggestion, however I was left disabled from being hit by a car with numerous physical limitations, TBI, and a flail right arm and hand. Basically a dead arm hanging off my shoulder. Non functioning with no feeling to touch. I have a 10lb weight limit on my left arm. She weighs 56.8lbs. She has when she first started this behavior put her mouth and teeth on me but didn't bite down thankfully. If she bites my only functioning arm or hand, I am completely screwed. I'm alone and out in the country isolated. I am physically incapable of putting her into a laying position or holding her down to show dominance. I've considered trying to bite her ear like I did with my Great Danes but my teeth were knocked out in the wreck as well. I'm not trying to come up with excuses, but if anyone knows any way for me to get around my limitations I'd be grateful and appreciate any and all suggestions to try! I really don't want to have to return Shirley to the rescue, but I can't have an animal that makes me scared of them at any time. I can't remove the trigger if my menstrual cycle is her trigger, I have zero control over that.
ok, let's try something else. If she puts her mouth on your hand push your hand towards the back of her mouth. She will probably find it uncomfortable and stop doing it. Whackamole may also work. Then there is the soda can filled with a few dimes and taped closed. toss it on the ground off to side the when she does something she shouldn't. The Soda can may be your best bet. After a few times tossing it you will just have to pick it up and maybe give a slight shake to get her attention.

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
ok, let's try something else. If she puts her mouth on your hand push your hand towards the back of her mouth. She will probably find it uncomfortable and stop doing it. Whackamole may also work. Then there is the soda can filled with a few dimes and taped closed. toss it on the ground off to side the when she does something she shouldn't. The Soda can may be your best bet. After a few times tossing it you will just have to pick it up and maybe give a slight shake to get her attention.

When she did put her teeth on me, I did exactly what you suggested and she hasn't done that since. Love the soda can idea, will make that soon as I empty this Dr Pepper! What's whackamole?

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
When she did put her teeth on me, I did exactly what you suggested and she hasn't done that since. Love the soda can idea, will make that soon as I empty this Dr Pepper! What's whackamole?
A whackamole is a light magazine (maybe 15 or 20 pages) folded over into thirds. Think the arcade game whackamole. If you whack them with it, it will make noise and get their attention but not hurt them. Bulldogs do not like any noises that make a snap noise. You can even try just whacking it against the couch or your leg. Clapping also works but with your arm that would be hard. If you use the whackamole watch her carefully. We cannot use it with Bruno the rescue dog. Something in his past makes him way too sensitive. If we even lift a magazine he cowers. It works well with Crazy, the deaf dog, but we can't use it around Bruno. The goal is to get their attention not hurt them or make them cower. If they stop what they are doing and stare at you like WTF it did it's job.

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
A whackamole is a light magazine (maybe 15 or 20 pages) folded over into thirds. Think the arcade game whackamole. If you whack them with it, it will make noise and get their attention but not hurt them. Bulldogs do not like any noises that make a snap noise. You can even try just whacking it against the couch or your leg. Clapping also works but with your arm that would be hard. If you use the whackamole watch her carefully. We cannot use it with Bruno the rescue dog. Something in his past makes him way too sensitive. If we even lift a magazine he cowers. It works well with Crazy, the deaf dog, but we can't use it around Bruno. The goal is to get their attention not hurt them or make them cower. If they stop what they are doing and stare at you like WTF it did it's job.

Ahh... whackamole! Lol! Yeah, that's not an option with my girl. She has shown behaviors that tells me she's been beaten and abused. Took quite awhile for her not to cower if I turned my head too fast to look at her, now she looks at me like I'm retarded when I do... progress! I've put ALOT into her, I don't want to have to take her back to the rescue, but may have to if I can't stop this aggression towards me during my time of the month.

OP
M

minton5825

Mar 11, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Spike
Ignore her and turn away, ask visitors to do the same. Tell her to sit. She will do everything she can to get attention. When she finds something that is acceptable, such as sitting, praise and pet her. It won't take long at all. When I get home from work I don't greet my overexcited dogs until I put everything away. It gives them a minute to calm down and Bruno runs to find a bone because he thinks it will get him greeted faster.
We have tried all of those ideas to no avail. She just is so excited

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online