Need some advice on the raw food change...

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I still give little treats. I give dry sardines or dry liver. But a noon snack is a frozen wild caught herring.

Have you tried putting a bit of raw as a topper over the kibbles for Willow or mixing it all together? Like Citti said odd a dog donā€™t like raw. I know Nyala is now refusing frozen. I need to semi thaw it or she wonā€™t eat it.

I will try it as a topper... SO weird that she doesn't like it. Maybe it's a texture thing?!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I will try it as a topper... SO weird that she doesn't like it. Maybe it's a texture thing?!!

If she still refuses raw, get like a can of sardines from the western side of the planet n use one or two pieces, mix it in. Or try raw liver cut them in tiny pieces n mix. By doing this way eventually sheā€™ll get use it raw but slowly.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto

Could be the temperature thing too... room temp could go down better.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I've noticed over the last couple of weeks that both of my pups have been liking their paws... I haven't noticed any severe redness, we have been SUPER busy lately. Can they just start doing this out of boredom?!! Lol

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I've noticed over the last couple of weeks that both of my pups have been liking their paws... I haven't noticed any severe redness, we have been SUPER busy lately. Can they just start doing this out of boredom?!! Lol

It could be allergy related but it is possible it could be from boredom. Some dogs do it out of habit or because it is soothing.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Were both licking ā€œbeforeā€ you changed the food? As only one is eating raw n not the other so basically if the answer is no they werenā€™t licking their paws ā€œbeforeā€ I donā€™t see why it would be the food if Willow still hasnā€™t touched the raw.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
boy oh boy,,, my favorite subject.......... FOOD :) Our dogs are so lucky to have us :) And one thing that stands out here is how my Shih Tzus hated raw and all the trouble i went through to get them to eat it. I would take a piece of meat and hold the 'fat' over a flame to get some flavor to it, hand it to them and they would lick that part then move on to the raw... BUT if i didnt do that, they wouldnt touch! and oh they DO remember so be carful what you start. haha

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

Is Walter still getting beef or did you switch proteins already? It could be the protein but then Willow isn't eating the same as Walter so odd they would both start licking at the same time if it was food related.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is Walter still getting beef or did you switch proteins already? It could be the protein but then Willow isn't eating the same as Walter so odd they would both start licking at the same time if it was food related.

Could be from the change of seasons too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

I plan on switching him this next round... I have beef in the freezer.

I honestly think it's from boredom... it's been SO super hot here, but today it is finally cooling off and we can start taking daily walks again!!!

- - - Updated - - -

boy oh boy,,, my favorite subject.......... FOOD :) Our dogs are so lucky to have us :) And one thing that stands out here is how my Shih Tzus hated raw and all the trouble i went through to get them to eat it. I would take a piece of meat and hold the 'fat' over a flame to get some flavor to it, hand it to them and they would lick that part then move on to the raw... BUT if i didnt do that, they wouldnt touch! and oh they DO remember so be carful what you start. haha

Willow refuses to eat raw, but I got him some Stella & Chewys dehydrated raw to see if she will eat it.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Were both licking ā€œbeforeā€ you changed the food? As only one is eating raw n not the other so basically if the answer is no they werenā€™t licking their paws ā€œbeforeā€ I donā€™t see why it would be the food if Willow still hasnā€™t touched the raw.

They would occasionally lick their paws, but nothing noticeable... I honestly think it's boredom. We had to forgo the daily walks because of the heat... bring on FALL!!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I think the paw licking is very possibly from the heat as well. My boy is out of shape for the first time in his life because of this heat and he is board!!! and i watch him look around for something to do and then lay down and lick his feet like it's soothing to his board brain. It's been a long hot summer here, and hank and i have paid a price. Im out of shape too :( :O

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I think the paw licking is very possibly from the heat as well. My boy is out of shape for the first time in his life because of this heat and he is board!!! and i watch him look around for something to do and then lay down and lick his feet like it's soothing to his board brain. It's been a long hot summer here, and hank and i have paid a price. Im out of shape too :( :O

:buff::rundog: :snowballfight:

Yesterday, today n tomorrow been with winds -10 yup I said -10....for the rest of the week +10

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.