Need some advice on the raw food change...

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I hope you enjoyed your trip...

Willow refuses to touch the raw, it's hilarious!!! Guess she doesn't realize she's a dog, and her ancestors probably feasted on road-kill :ROFL:
Wally LOVES his raw, I'm just giving him the Primal beef nuggets at dinner time, what other proteins have you tried? I know he's allergic to chicken, so that's definitely out. I may look into having food delivered and getting another freezer... LORD Ray is gonna kills me... Lol

Oh Willow you silly girl!

With raw, itā€™s good to rotate between at least 3 different proteins as each protein has different nutritional value. But still do one protein a month while you figure out any issues. Thereā€™s no hard rule on how to rotate as it all balances out. So you can do one protein for two weeks, then do another or do a couple proteins at a time, etc. Jax is more limited in what he can eat so he gets salmon, bison, rabbit, guinea hen, quail, sometimes beef, pork. Louie will get the same but also duck, turkey, goat and alpaca. Neither gets lamb but that is also an option. And then I rotate giving them goats milk, bison broth and sometimes fermented fish stock.

I want a stand up freezer and those are $500+ and I havenā€™t been able to convince myself to actually spend that much on a freezer for my dogs lol. Although I could definitely use it as well and stock up on Costco stuff. One of these days Iā€™ll actually buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
There you go [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION], buy your freezer @ Costco.
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] doubt very much itā€™s from food....phlegm is coughing up or itā€™s from the lungs.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
There you go [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION], buy your freezer @ Costco.
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] doubt very much itā€™s from food....phlegm is coughing up or itā€™s from the lungs.

I just had to get a new water heater a couple weeks ago so the freezer will have to wait.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I just had to get a new water heater a couple weeks ago so the freezer will have to wait.

I was kinda joking cause you mentioned filling it up at Costco....

Freezers donā€™t die on you. You can also look for used ones. :yes:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I was kinda joking cause you mentioned filling it up at Costco....

Freezers donā€™t die on you. You can also look for used ones. :yes:

I've actually looked for used ones but the problem with that is that I have no way of going to pick it up. I'll get one...eventually lol.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Wally is STILL enjoying his Primal beef nuggets at dinnertime... I'm going slow.

So far it's been fine, but I've noticed the last few days he has spit up later in the night. It wasn't food, looked more like phlegm... is that normal?!! I should note that it's still been hot here, and my sprinkler system is on the fritz so my grass looks like dead hay!!! UGH!!!

My dog tends to regurgitate her raw food, more so in the morning than at night. I'm still trying to figure if some proteins are worse than others since I cut them up and put in freezer where they are no longer labelled. I think she tends to throw up more on pork. Some meats are a lot denser than others- I have to thaw them a little longer in fridge before I cut them eg. beef

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My dog tends to regurgitate her raw food, more so in the morning than at night. I'm still trying to figure if some proteins are worse than others since I cut them up and put in freezer where they are no longer labelled. I think she tends to throw up more on pork. Some meats are a lot denser than others- I have to thaw them a little longer in fridge before I cut them eg. beef

I need to let his thaw more, but I swear her gets SO excited at dinner time he would eat them as ice cubes!!! Lol

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh Willow you silly girl!

With raw, itā€™s good to rotate between at least 3 different proteins as each protein has different nutritional value. But still do one protein a month while you figure out any issues. Thereā€™s no hard rule on how to rotate as it all balances out. So you can do one protein for two weeks, then do another or do a couple proteins at a time, etc. Jax is more limited in what he can eat so he gets salmon, bison, rabbit, guinea hen, quail, sometimes beef, pork. Louie will get the same but also duck, turkey, goat and alpaca. Neither gets lamb but that is also an option. And then I rotate giving them goats milk, bison broth and sometimes fermented fish stock.

I want a stand up freezer and those are $500+ and I havenā€™t been able to convince myself to actually spend that much on a freezer for my dogs lol. Although I could definitely use it as well and stock up on Costco stuff. One of these days Iā€™ll actually buy one.

THANK YOU so much for your insight... I'm going to give him one more week, and then try another protein. DO you think I should keep trying w/Willow or just let her be on her kibble? She honestly has ZERO allergy issues, and she looks fantastic.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
THANK YOU so much for your insight... I'm going to give him one more week, and then try another protein. DO you think I should keep trying w/Willow or just let her be on her kibble? She honestly has ZERO allergy issues, and she looks fantastic.

If it is not broken....

She may come around one day but donā€™t mess with what works at this point

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
If it is not broken....

She may come around one day but donā€™t mess with what works at this point

I was going to say the same thing!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I need to let his thaw more, but I swear her gets SO excited at dinner time he would eat them as ice cubes!!! Lol

Most like it more if it's room temperature. If you want to try something really wild.... take the food out of the freezer and let it thaw in a box on the counter with a generous dollop of AVC... Feed in the evening.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Most like it more if it's room temperature. If you want to try something really wild.... take the food out of the freezer and let it thaw in a box on the counter with a generous dollop of AVC... Feed in the evening.

Interesting...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I figured out Nyala donā€™t like if itā€™s too frozen. So now I semi thaw it for Madame. Jake doesnā€™t care.

Funny how we (I included) all say, If it is not broken.... Then I start thinking, ā€œHow you going to know?ā€ :D

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I make 2 weeks' worth of food at a time, put them in little containers and throw in the chest freezer. Then each night, I take out a couple containers and throw in the fridge so that they thaw enough for when it's time to eat.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
AVC will in a way marinate the meat and brake down the proteins and it will be very much edible even though it's been in the room temperature for a day. The food I feed is thawed in the freezer for 24 hours and then fermented in the room temperature for another 24 hours... then they eat it. Sometimes if there is some left in the morning I'll add some AVC and feed the rest in the evening.

Interesting...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.