NEED IMMEDIATE AGGRESSION HELP!!

laurenkromas

Jan 19, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Marty
Hi everyone. I'm brand new to EBN and seeking any possible help, tips or just for someone to reach out and tell me they've experienced similar issues so I can feel a little less alone. I adopted Marty when he was eight weeks old on August 4, 2020. He has always been given so much love and affection growing up. I am almost wondering if this may be part of the reason he is the way he is now. I had never put Marty through any training as a puppy. As a result of that, he is a very poor listener and doesn't like to do things he's told. The aggression started at about six months old when I would put him in his crate for a nap/ to go to bed. He would growl but not in a way like he was going to harm me. At the time I didn't think much of it because it seemed like a mild temper tantrum, nothing serious. As he has gotten older the 'temper tantrums' have turned into full blown attacks sometimes. I always know when he is about to go into attack mode from three indicators.
1. His eyes begin to bulge out of his head
2. He begins to lick his lips
3. The teeth begin to show and I can hear him growling under his breath
I always have to act excited and use a baby voice around him otherwise he will go straight into defense mode. If he is having a bad day sometimes that doesn't even work. His triggers for being aggressive towards me are...
1. wiping his feet after going to the bathroom (i cant even do his front feet anymore because he will bite me)
2. Putting his harness on to go for a walk
3. drying him off after a bath
4. if he's halfway on furniture and I tell him to get off, if I go to move him off he will attack me
5. moving him in general, I am not allowed to do that
6. if i tell him to come to me and he doesn't, then I walk towards him he will begin growling at me
7. he will sit at the top of the staircase of my room and not allow my roommates to come down. he will growl at them. also wont allow them to take him out for potty while I'm at work
There are so many more but those are a few. If I do as much as look at him the wrong way he will get bug eyed and act like he's ready to put his guard up. I don't know what to do anymore. I feel like this behavior is just a part of who he is and nothing is ever going to be able to fix it. I paid $900 for an in home trainer but he tried to tell me to walk away and try again if he gets defensive. In my opinion that is telling Marty his aggressive behavior will get me to go away and he wins. Therefore he knows that behavior works for hi.
I have put so much money and love into my dog for him to treat me like complete crap. He has bitten my hand before and it left me unable to use said hand for five days from nerve damage. Please, I know this post is a jumbled mess of me trying to convey what's going on but I hope someone can give me advice. I can't do this for 8+ more years.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
WOW... okay, it sounds to me as if Marty needs a little understanding of WHO is in charge here. My first question would be is he neutered? Has he had a full vet exam to make sure there is nothing physical going on as well... we had aggression issues w/our male, and it was almost 99% reversed after her was neutered. Once you get a clear picture of the health issues, THEN it's time to work on the behavioral. Your trainer was SPOT ON... Marty has to EARN everything!!! Praise, attention, treats, ALL the things... the training method "Nothing In Life Is Free" is vital at this point. You have to make sure Marty understands that YOU are the pack leader.

Diesel1

Jun 3, 2021
Long Island, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Hi everyone. I'm brand new to EBN and seeking any possible help, tips or just for someone to reach out and tell me they've experienced similar issues so I can feel a little less alone. I adopted Marty when he was eight weeks old on August 4, 2020. He has always been given so much love and affection growing up. I am almost wondering if this may be part of the reason he is the way he is now. I had never put Marty through any training as a puppy. As a result of that, he is a very poor listener and doesn't like to do things he's told. The aggression started at about six months old when I would put him in his crate for a nap/ to go to bed. He would growl but not in a way like he was going to harm me. At the time I didn't think much of it because it seemed like a mild temper tantrum, nothing serious. As he has gotten older the 'temper tantrums' have turned into full blown attacks sometimes. I always know when he is about to go into attack mode from three indicators.
1. His eyes begin to bulge out of his head
2. He begins to lick his lips
3. The teeth begin to show and I can hear him growling under his breath
I always have to act excited and use a baby voice around him otherwise he will go straight into defense mode. If he is having a bad day sometimes that doesn't even work. His triggers for being aggressive towards me are...
1. wiping his feet after going to the bathroom (i cant even do his front feet anymore because he will bite me)
2. Putting his harness on to go for a walk
3. drying him off after a bath
4. if he's halfway on furniture and I tell him to get off, if I go to move him off he will attack me
5. moving him in general, I am not allowed to do that
6. if i tell him to come to me and he doesn't, then I walk towards him he will begin growling at me
7. he will sit at the top of the staircase of my room and not allow my roommates to come down. he will growl at them. also wont allow them to take him out for potty while I'm at work
There are so many more but those are a few. If I do as much as look at him the wrong way he will get bug eyed and act like he's ready to put his guard up. I don't know what to do anymore. I feel like this behavior is just a part of who he is and nothing is ever going to be able to fix it. I paid $900 for an in home trainer but he tried to tell me to walk away and try again if he gets defensive. In my opinion that is telling Marty his aggressive behavior will get me to go away and he wins. Therefore he knows that behavior works for hi.
I have put so much money and love into my dog for him to treat me like complete crap. He has bitten my hand before and it left me unable to use said hand for five days from nerve damage. Please, I know this post is a jumbled mess of me trying to convey what's going on but I hope someone can give me advice. I can't do this for 8+ more years.
I have similar with my guy. I get the same reaction but for him, it's often for no reason. He can be sleeping on the floor and he will wake up with whale eye, growl, and then comes the air nip. The past few days, he would do similar if my daughter got too close to him. That don't fly well with me so I'm keeping an a close eye on him. Already had a behaviorist who said I should return him or put him down, and I called an alternate trainer who was very good and I will most likely be calling him back for more lessons. It's up to me and wifey now to get strict with training and probably worth a visit to the vet again to explain and have a full work up done to see if there is anything physical or diet related that may be bothering him.

I do know he produces a ton of wax out of 1 year...so much that I am cleaning it every other day if not more frequently. The other ear stays clean.

OP
laurenkromas

laurenkromas

Jan 19, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Marty
WOW... okay, it sounds to me as if Marty needs a little understanding of WHO is in charge here. My first question would be is he neutered? Has he had a full vet exam to make sure there is nothing physical going on as well... we had aggression issues w/our male, and it was almost 99% reversed after her was neutered. Once you get a clear picture of the health issues, THEN it's time to work on the behavioral. Your trainer was SPOT ON... Marty has to EARN everything!!! Praise, attention, treats, ALL the things... the training method "Nothing In Life Is Free" is vital at this point. You have to make sure Marty understands that YOU are the pack leader.
He is still in tact but I think Iā€™m going to make an appointment to have him neutered to see if that helps. My breeder also said he could just have too much testosterone and needs them removed. I just feel like the way he acts out is so imbedded in his brain that removing them wonā€™t do anything but itā€™s worth a shot. And yes heā€™s in good health.

OP
laurenkromas

laurenkromas

Jan 19, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Marty
I have similar with my guy. I get the same reaction but for him, it's often for no reason. He can be sleeping on the floor and he will wake up with whale eye, growl, and then comes the air nip. The past few days, he would do similar if my daughter got too close to him. That don't fly well with me so I'm keeping an a close eye on him. Already had a behaviorist who said I should return him or put him down, and I called an alternate trainer who was very good and I will most likely be calling him back for more lessons. It's up to me and wifey now to get strict with training and probably worth a visit to the vet again to explain and have a full work up done to see if there is anything physical or diet related that may be bothering him.

I do know he produces a ton of wax out of 1 year...so much that I am cleaning it every other day if not more frequently. The other ear stays clean.
Oh no!! Iā€™m so sorry but also glad to hear Iā€™m not the only one experiencing this! I have a friend at the gym whoā€™s sister had an English bulldog that she had to put down because he would act out for NO reason and one day bit her horribly in the face. Iā€™ve just never heard of english bulldogs being so mean??

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
After neutering it will take many months for the testosterone levels to go down. If you cannot get a handle on this soon he will have to be put down or he will eventually injure someone severely. His bite inhibition is gone, obviously and getting it back(training it back) is very unlikely. He will require lifelong management.

Start with the "nothing in life is free" right now. Take away everything. Put him in his place. Fix him up with a properly fitted martingale collar...no snap collars or harnesses. Snap collars can fail and we've seen many Bulldogs back right out of a harness. Keep a short lead on him at all times...about 4 ft. long. Let him drag it around. This will serve as something you can get a hold of to guide or corral him as needed. Do not allow him on furniture or in a bed. Do not kneel down or get on the floor to pet him. You must stand over him whenever you interact with him.

This attempt to transform him will not be pleasant...the pleasant times[for both of you] are over.
This attempt may fail. Although rarely seen in our rescue, there are such things as dogs with "bad wiring".

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I believe that one major cause is not being in charge from day one, and instead letting the "cute pup" be in charge.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
After neutering it will take many months for the testosterone levels to go down. If you cannot get a handle on this soon he will have to be put down or he will eventually injure someone severely. His bite inhibition is gone, obviously and getting it back(training it back) is very unlikely. He will require lifelong management.

Start with the "nothing in life is free" right now. Take away everything. Put him in his place. Fix him up with a properly fitted martingale collar...no snap collars or harnesses. Snap collars can fail and we've seen many Bulldogs back right out of a harness. Keep a short lead on him at all times...about 4 ft. long. Let him drag it around. This will serve as something you can get a hold of to guide or corral him as needed. Do not allow him on furniture or in a bed. Do not kneel down or get on the floor to pet him. You must stand over him whenever you interact with him.

This attempt to transform him will not be pleasant...the pleasant times[for both of you] are over.
This attempt may fail. Although rarely seen in our rescue, there are such things as dogs with "bad wiring".
Absolutely agreeā€¦. even the OP avatar picture proves the pup is in charge and needs to know he is not the alphaā€¦ humans in the home are

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.