Need boarding tips!

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Next Thursday we are flying to Florida to spend a week at Disney World. The kids are SO excited and we can't wait. The only hard part is that Belle will have to be boarded while we are gone. We don't have any family local and no friends that I would trust enough with her. We are taking her to a very nice dog resort but I'm still super nervous. She doesn't know she's a dog...she's SO people oriented and I worry about how she will do without us for a week. The owner of the resort is a huge bulldog fan and assured me that she will be spoiled rotten, but I can't help feeling guilty. Any tips to make the week easier for her? I'm planning to take her food of course and a blanket that smells like us, but is there anything else we should do for her? I don't want to spend my whole vacation worrying about our girl but I'm afraid that might be the case :blush2:

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I'm sure she'll be just fine:) Do like that Norwegian guy, decorate her "room" at the boarding place to look exactly like a small copy of their living room, lol;)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Next Thursday we are flying to Florida to spend a week at Disney World. The kids are SO excited and we can't wait. The only hard part is that Belle will have to be boarded while we are gone. We don't have any family local and no friends that I would trust enough with her. We are taking her to a very nice dog resort but I'm still super nervous. She doesn't know she's a dog...she's SO people oriented and I worry about how she will do without us for a week. The owner of the resort is a huge bulldog fan and assured me that she will be spoiled rotten, but I can't help feeling guilty. Any tips to make the week easier for her? I'm planning to take her food of course and a blanket that smells like us, but is there anything else we should do for her? I don't want to spend my whole vacation worrying about our girl but I'm afraid that might be the case :blush2:

Take things she's familiar with - like you mentioned blanket, etc that has your scent. Most importantly - I would be more concerned with telling them (the staff) things to watch for. Like not being left with toys or bones, unsupervised due to her eating something. Watching her with heat, etc. I know you said the owner is a bulldog fan, but does that mean he "knows" the breed or just that he likes them?

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Oh, and have fun on vacation:) I worry a lot when I leave them with my husband even, but they are fine AND when I come back they are so happy to see me, which is nice cos they normally don't care so much if I leave for a while cos I'm always here...:blush2:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The guilt always gets us, but she will be fine and spoiled while you are gone ! have a fantastic trip

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Have a great trip. Jessica is right, just make sure they are bulldog savvy and all will be well.

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
He seems to be very familiar with bulldogs. In fact their mascot is a bulldog :) I'll make sure to stress the importance of no heat, wrinkle cleaning, etc. I feel like I'm leaving my kid for the first time!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We all have gone thru this… I would say first of all RELAX!!! She's gonna sense you're upset, and she will get anxious about it. If you act calm & cool about it she will too… Have a wonderful time at Disney, we LOVE it there!!! :w00t:

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
So hubby came home from shopping for our trip today. He threw a Petsmart bag at me and grinned. Apparently he's feeling guilty too...Belle got a new chew toy, three new toys, an antler, AND a new collar :ROFL:

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I've worked at boarding facilities for years....trust me, you're not the first worried pet parent and there are people out there that are EXTREME. lol.

I'd just recommend bringing her her own bed and blanket, some toys to chew on, and her own food. The dogs that get switched to the food that the facility has instead of getting their own tend to get upset tummies. Just stress the importance of wrinkle care, any signs to watch for, explain her medications if she's on any, etc. She'll be fine. :)

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
I know exactly how you feel, we went to Dallas last week for my daughter's college graduation and we had to put Tucker in a kennel, I was a nervous wreck. When we got home Tucker was so excited to see us!! He got a good report when we were gone! Enjoy your trip, it's the happiest place on earth!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online