Nail clippers

TxMom2

May 1, 2022
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louise and Chief
What kind of nail clippers do you guys recommend?
Also how do you know how far to go down to clip?
I recently bought some clippers from Amazon but when I use them Iā€™m really scared of going too far down so I ended up just barely clipping and making their claws sharper. Theyā€™re still babies but their nails are growing fast

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
I use my cordless dremmel on the lowest setting with a cylinder sanding attachment. Donā€™t take much off, and do it often (every week). I keep nails pretty short - so they donā€™t touch the floor when standing still. Stay around 5,000 rpm (donā€™t go much higher. 10,000 is too high)

If you let it grow too long the kwick will migrate out and youā€™ll need to take off less at a time. The kwick will slowly pull back if you keep at it over weeks.

Lucky for me all of Millieā€™s nails are white so I can see the kwick. Otherwise just do it a little at a time. If you watch the end of the nail, you should see a horseshoe shape emerge. Youā€™re getting closer to the quik you need to stop. You can then work around it a little to soften the edges. I recommend doing some google searches here is a good explanation with slideshow:

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Also, puppies are the best time to start. Their nails are very soft so they grind VERY fast and the puppy should get use to the dremeling much easier than an adult. Just zip the tips off every few days

Introduce them slowly to the machine. First few days off completely. Then try turning it on a second. Then off and touch nail. On and nail tap. Then more nails. And always lots of love and praise and treats.

Weā€™ve been dremeling nails for 20+ years now, I hate the clippers

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
What kind of nail clippers do you guys recommend?
Also how do you know how far to go down to clip?
I recently bought some clippers from Amazon but when I use them Iā€™m really scared of going too far down so I ended up just barely clipping and making their claws sharper. Theyā€™re still babies but their nails are growing fast

Miller forge is the best for nail clippers

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Millers Forge, made in Italy, are the best nail clippers. I clip their nails just below the curve. If you do by accident draw blood, just keep styptic powder on hand. If you need to, use flour as a substitute.

OP
TxMom2

TxMom2

May 1, 2022
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louise and Chief
I use my cordless dremmel on the lowest setting with a cylinder sanding attachment. Donā€™t take much off, and do it often (every week). I keep nails pretty short - so they donā€™t touch the floor when standing still. Stay around 5,000 rpm (donā€™t go much higher. 10,000 is too high)

If you let it grow too long the kwick will migrate out and youā€™ll need to take off less at a time. The kwick will slowly pull back if you keep at it over weeks.

Lucky for me all of Millieā€™s nails are white so I can see the kwick. Otherwise just do it a little at a time. If you watch the end of the nail, you should see a horseshoe shape emerge. Youā€™re getting closer to the quik you need to stop. You can then work around it a little to soften the edges. I recommend doing some google searches here is a good explanation with slideshow:
Wow that sounds so professional and honestly intimidating šŸ˜±šŸ˜±šŸ˜±
Iā€™m very new to this and I have a puppy with ALL BLACK NAILS šŸ’… and my female has some white/clear which are easy to see but some black and those are hard to see. The clippers I bought have a light on them and the puppies really act like they donā€™t like it, I donā€™t know if itā€™s the way it feels or if it hurts or just slightly uncomfortable but they try to get away the whole time. Thank you so much for this.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
MY groomer uses a Dremal! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. I cut the quick once and never did them again

Most Reactions