My Bully's Face Smells

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
Mu bully's face smells bad. I bought 2% chlorhexidine from Chewy.

I mixed 1 tablespoon of chlorhexidine with 1 gallon of water. I then poured it over a pile of baby wipes. I use those baby wipes to clean her face and her paws but it seems the smell is not going away. You think I should use more than 2 tablespoons of chlorhexidine in the baby wipes or just buy some chlorhexidine wipes from Amazon?

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
The pet store wipes are 3%. For the homemade wipes you can just use it full strength (2%). Just keep it out of her eyes

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I always just buy the chlorhexidine wipes.

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
which wipes do you guys buy?

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
The store wipes are no different than using the gallon of veterinary chlorohex with some gauze or cotton wipes. Except a 2x50 count store wipe costs as much as a gallon of chlorhex, which can make an unbelievable amount of wipes (5-6000 or so?)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
If the smell persists even with regular cleaning don't forget to check teeth, gums, ears for the possible cause.
About 2 years ago we had a rescue come in the was stinky stinky. No amount of bathing and cleaning helped. It was just coming from his pores. Finally, in a move of desperation, I got some Dinovite and tried that. Within days, his smell was gone.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
The pet store wipes are 3%. For the homemade wipes you can just use it full strength (2%). Just keep it out of her eyes
I second this. We started out buying Duoxo wipes and quickly found out that buying a gallon was much more cost effective. One thing to note is that pure chlorohexidine should be kept in a cool and dark place to maintain effectiveness as light causes it to degrade faster.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.