My bulldog changed when he turned 3

Hoagiesmom

Mar 18, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hoagie
Hoagie is not only my first eb, he is also my first dog. Is it common for eb's behavior to change around 3 years old? He has become randomly aggressive with my 2 older children. It literally happened in a day my son came downstairs. Hoagie was lying on the floor. Like any other day before this one my son got down on the floor to play with him. Hoagie jumped up, my son also stood up then and Hoagie began to walk in circles around his legs. He was circling like a shark and maintaining eye contact with my son. He then went for his feet, latched onto his sneaker, and would not release. He was growling and shaking his head. Anyone that went near him was only becoming another target. My son was able to get him into the foyer, and with a lot of effort, get the door closed. Since it is a glass french door we were able to continue to watch his agression. He was scratching at the door, barking, and throwing himself against it. After leaving him in there until he calmed down, I had my son open the door to let him out. Hoagie had no other issue with him that night and acted as he normally would. This was about 4 months ago. Since then, he will randomly go after both my sons. For the life of me, I cannot find the triggers. He will be sitting at my son's feet, getting petted, walk over to me, and then just charge back to my son and start trying to jump onto the chair to get at him. Once my son begins to stand so he can put him in his crate, he will try to bite. He gets into this attack mindset, and she's nothing else. No noise, command, or anything takes away his focus. Nothing changes in the room from when he is calm to when he attacks. We have not even stirred in our chain, moved a limb, or said a word. When he is put away, he is told sternly "no" I have my son let him back out when he's ready and everything is fine again. Most occasions it's a matter of only 5 minutes. I had him neutered in January, but, have not seen any difference. He is great outside the house. Does fine with the vet or when he gets his nails clipped. He does fine with strangers. It's very hard to find a behaviorist in my area and even more difficult to find one that will come to my home.
In all my research, I read how sweet, docile and friendly eb's were. Is this common with the breed? He was fine for 3 years with everyone, I don't understand what happened. Any help, advice, or suggestions are so very welcome.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hello and welcome @Hoagiesmom What a great name he has! It sounds to me like he has decided that he is the boss at your house. He may still have hormones in his system, but he definitely needs to be taught that the humans are the boss! There is an article somewhere(a new site-I don't navigate too well) called 'nothing in life is free'. You need to read that and no more "baby Hoagie", no more on furniture and he must obey your rules! I will look at search and see if I can find it-and you need to read, and follow it.https://www.englishbulldognews.com/threads/nothing-in-life-is-free-training-technique.33985/

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Is Hoagie in tact?
Has Hoagie ever become aggressive(initially) with YOU?

OP
Hoagiesmom

Hoagiesmom

Mar 18, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hoagie
Is Hoagie in tact?
Has Hoagie ever become aggressive(initially) with YOU?
This started early December. I had him neutered mid January. At this point, it is only with my boys.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Has he ever attacked anyone when NOT in your presence? If not then, he is probably "guarding" YOU and has assumed ALPHA in the home. It will take a lifetime of management. Sometimes "management" is not enough and the dog must be put down in order to protect others. Prepare for this outcome and if it doesn't happen....GREAT!

Taking the alpha role back will take great effort on your part. A skilled trainer is needed to train you how to do it. You can start by taking away ALL privileges. No more allowing him on furniture, bed etc...EVER. He gets his own bed and kennel. Feed him in his kennel. Consistent commands should be given by every household member...if and when you determine that it's safe for him to interact with them. No one can bend or break the new rules. Keep a short lead (3 feet long) on him at all times...just let him drag it around. This lead will be very helpful if you need to corral him. No snap collars...they can fail. No harness that he can back out of.

I wish you the best of luck with this bad situation.

Mmsaxman

Jun 30, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
It could be possession agression, I have a little experience in that area. Maybe he feels possessive of you and is "jealous" of the kids getting attention. The only way to deal with the problem is to train it out of them. I hope that helps.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree… it seems he is guarding you. do what Chip suggested . Or bring in a trainer to help guide you

Last edited:

Dianne

Feb 3, 2023
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Stanley and Stella
I’m so glad it’s not just me this is happening too! If you find the answer let me know please x

Members online

No members online now.