My 7 Year old Male is suddenly starting to snap at strangers

robynkitt

Jul 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly and Gambit
My Bulldog Gambit has always been so good and so mild mannered. He wouldn't even Bark at other dogs or people walking by. Within the last 6 months or so he is starting to snap at people, they will go to him with the back of their hand to allow him to smell them. He will sniff and show no aggression and then as they go to move their hand away he lunches and snaps. He has never displayed any of this behavior to anyone in my family (we have two kids 7 and 10 years old) or my mother when she comes in, but it seems like at this point everyone else is fair game. He doesn't appear to be in pain. was just at the vet and had a healthy checkup, and he appears to be able to see just fine. I need advice! I want to be a responsible dog owner, and not expose anyone to him right now for fear he may bite, but I don't want him to feel isolated when people come over. We have another rescue who we just brought home a few months ago, and she is doing great both with him, and in general. she is a total lover and is extremely pleasant (aside from jumping when people first come in) Gambit gets along great with Lilly and did from the moment they met. I am so confused, Does anyone have any suggestions!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Has anything else changed recently? Sometimes they feed off of our emotions. Like if you are upset or anxious they read that as a sign to try and protect. I know you said he was recently at the vet, did they run a full blood panel? I would lean more towards something bothering him..... is he neutered?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
mabie he doesn't want any more 'friends' moving into his home? That sounds pretty far fetched, but, beings he got one new addition, mabie he's scaring of any other? I don't really think that but it did come to mind. Hope you catch it soon as that would be a horrible situation with our such cute dogs. People gravitate to them and you don't want any harm done...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It sounds more like he feels a need to protect.... have you been walking them together and as Jessica stated -- are you nervous about his behavior? He is feel a need to protect if he senses that in you

Use 'nothing in life is free'. To help him know you are alpha and there is no need for protection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.