Mr T is Switching to Raw

Superclyde911

Mar 22, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. T
After reading the posts here Iā€™ve decided to switch Mr. T to a raw diet. I signed up for the Darwinā€™s Natural Pet ā€œNatural Selectionā€ line of meals. I will keep everyone posted on Mr. Tā€™s raw food journey.

Any suggestions re the switch are appreciated.

Thanks!!!

B6F20771-7AC5-4E4B-9D8C-94A597EE66A0.jpeg

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I'm betting He will LOVE it!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Iā€™m hoping that he will and that it will also do him good in the long run.

View attachment 121148

I never did a transition cause itā€™s raw. You definitely canā€™t go wrong on a raw diet. Much healthier. Remember one thing, 1lb for 50lb dog.

Jake weighs 62lbs n Nyala weighs 52. I only use 1lb per day for BOTH as they do have from frozen wild caught sardines or smelts as morning n noon snacks n dry beef stick as another snack. I keep them on slightly under normal weight cause of their breathing. Jake lost 10lbs which he wasnā€™t really over weight but what a difference in his breathing. Like day n night. Nyala was slowing down when my previous Duke pass. Her too on a diet n she lost a good 8lbs. Was time to put both on weight control. They are both back to Speedy Gonzalez. I make sure not to add anything but raw in their diet n once in a while raw marrow bones, boiled eggs, fresh veggies and fruits. Any questions simply ask as they are a few members that feeds our dogs raw. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I did not transition either, we jumped right in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
No transition for me either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
No transition here either! We switched Wesley as soon as we got him home.

Heā€™s getting raw fruit and veg as treats which he loves, especially Strawberries :D

We did get a little concerned that he was going off his raw food because he started to turn his nose up at food he had previously loved!

After trying a few different proteins again desperate to keep him on raw as he is looking so healthy i came across this site on the web and it described EXACTLY what we weā€™re going through Wes.

We followed the advice and within a day he was eating everything again :D

https://www.prodograw.com/help-my-dogs-gone-off-raw-dog-food/

OP
S

Superclyde911

Mar 22, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. T
for those of you that did the immediate switch - did you notice softer stool and/or ā€œDā€ for a few days?

OP
S

Superclyde911

Mar 22, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. T
I never did a transition cause itā€™s raw. You definitely canā€™t go wrong on a raw diet. Much healthier. Remember one thing, 1lb for 50lb dog.

Jake weighs 62lbs n Nyala weighs 52. I only use 1lb per day for BOTH as they do have from frozen wild caught sardines or smelts as morning n noon snacks n dry beef stick as another snack. I keep them on slightly under normal weight cause of their breathing. Jake lost 10lbs which he wasnā€™t really over weight but what a difference in his breathing. Like day n night. Nyala was slowing down when my previous Duke pass. Her too on a diet n she lost a good 8lbs. Was time to put both on weight control. They are both back to Speedy Gonzalez. I make sure not to add anything but raw in their diet n once in a while raw marrow bones, boiled eggs, fresh veggies and fruits. Any questions simply ask as they are a few members that feeds our dogs raw. :)

He is currently 43 pounds and still a puppy (27 weeks) - should I increase the 1lb estimate until he reaches 1 year? If so how much?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
He is currently 43 pounds and still a puppy (27 weeks) - should I increase the 1lb estimate until he reaches 1 year? If so how much?

When you feed raw puppy stage doesnā€™t really matter. Leave it to one lb per day as heā€™s already 43lbs. But yes a butā€¦if your giving him snacks like I do(raw fish) you need to calculate them snacks in that lb. Meaning a lb a day ā€œincludingā€ the snacks. The only thing I donā€™t bother calculating is the marrow bones.

OP
S

Superclyde911

Mar 22, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. T
Hello Everyone -

I started with a transition and am currently feeding him 25% raw. We are heading into the third day and he is licking his bowl clean and he appears to be progressing without issues. His stools are already smaller, firmer and less smelly!!! I didnā€™t anticipate noticing much in the first few days. Cautiously optimistic about this change. Thank you to everyone for providing input.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello Everyone -

I started with a transition and am currently feeding him 25% raw. We are heading into the third day and he is licking his bowl clean and he appears to be progressing without issues. His stools are already smaller, firmer and less smelly!!! I didnā€™t anticipate noticing much in the first few days. Cautiously optimistic about this change. Thank you to everyone for providing input.

Yes stools are going to be little dryer nuggets n donā€™t worry if your dog doesnā€™t drink as much as raw is full of moisture n why itā€™s normal they dry less. :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed... less poo and less water when feeding raw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Superclyde911

Mar 22, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. T
It is amazing how Mr. T went from being indifferent to food - he would be ready to eat but without any excitement. Now he sees me doing the feeding routine and he gets excited and starts barking the ā€œplease give it to me barkā€!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It is amazing how Mr. T went from being indifferent to food - he would be ready to eat but without any excitement. Now he sees me doing the feeding routine and he gets excited and starts barking the ā€œplease give it to me barkā€!

My little guy is very picky but is always ready when the raw hits the dish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.