motivation

gunnerp

Jul 25, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
We just brought home a 4 month old puppy who is an English bulldog/Olde English Bulldog. We picked him up from an Amish farm (We didn't know when inquiring ) and 3 days later he threw up worms and had mucus diarrhea. Took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with pneumonia, roundworms and coccidia. The vet gave us medication and he seems to be doing better 10 days later. Our concern now is he has no motivation to go outside. He refuses to get out of his spot or wherever he is. We have to pick him up and bring him outside of the door. We have tried treats to reward him but he refuses to eat them and then we praise him but still nothing. He has been peeing and pooping in the house as soon as we come back from the walk. We though he might be stressed out so we walk him at times when theres no one around. We don't do long walks either. We are not tugging at the leash. We have also left the harness and leash on him so he can be more comfortable with it. Also he doesn't respond to his name or any commands he will just look at you and stare. Our concern is is this because of the medication? Just him being stubborn? What other motivation can we do?

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Poor little guy. Sounds like he needs lots of love. some questions:
Is his name 13 days old, or are you using the same name as his previous owner?
What are you feeding him and what are the treats? Are you giving any supplements? How much of all of the above
Has he been retested after taking the medication(s)?

OP
G

gunnerp

Jul 25, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
The name is the same that was given by previous owners. The vet told us just to feed him chicken and rice. At the moment no supplements since the vet said to keep the food simple till he feels better. We are giving him Zeke's peanut butter and oats since it's low calories. He does eat them when we're doing little training at the house but when walking he wont accept anything. We've tried fruit and nothing when walking. He is resting all day and we are keeping him hydrated as possible.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
The name is the same that was given by previous owners. The vet told us just to feed him chicken and rice. At the moment no supplements since the vet said to keep the food simple till he feels better. We are giving him Zeke's peanut butter and oats since it's low calories. He does eat them when we're doing little training at the house but when walking he wont accept anything. We've tried fruit and nothing when walking. He is resting all day and we are keeping him hydrated as possible.

Those treats arenā€™t god, many recalls for mycotoxins last I seen.

Have you tried Chicken liver or fish treats or beef liver??
I buy freeze dried beef liver(itā€™s low in calories too), and the dogs love it.
I usually buy the Benny bullyā€™s brand.

How about Probiotics supplement, that will help his immune system thru this and keep his immune system from being destroyed by antibiotics.
Adored beast and Four Leaf Rover are good brands I use, I definitely donā€™t recommend the purina forti flora from the vet, not good at allā˜¹ļø

Diesel1

Jun 3, 2021
Long Island, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
We just brought home a 4 month old puppy who is an English bulldog/Olde English Bulldog. We picked him up from an Amish farm (We didn't know when inquiring ) and 3 days later he threw up worms and had mucus diarrhea. Took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with pneumonia, roundworms and coccidia. The vet gave us medication and he seems to be doing better 10 days later. Our concern now is he has no motivation to go outside. He refuses to get out of his spot or wherever he is. We have to pick him up and bring him outside of the door. We have tried treats to reward him but he refuses to eat them and then we praise him but still nothing. He has been peeing and pooping in the house as soon as we come back from the walk. We though he might be stressed out so we walk him at times when theres no one around. We don't do long walks either. We are not tugging at the leash. We have also left the harness and leash on him so he can be more comfortable with it. Also he doesn't respond to his name or any commands he will just look at you and stare. Our concern is is this because of the medication? Just him being stubborn? What other motivation can we do?
I would bet dollars to Donuts the very out him on an anti nausea med and anther one that helps him keep food down. Mine was in that stuff and he became a lump on a log for 3 days. Barely moved, no happiness, not motivated by anything, even food which i thought was the end of the world based upon how much he eats and loves food.

I forget the names, but if he's on those meds, he'll be back to normal a lil while after you stop giving him those.

Pearlygirl

Sep 15, 2021
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Pearlā€¦.and Rambo
I agree with some of the other respondersā€¦meds have a lot to do with his tiredness and lack of enthusiasmā€¦.poor little guy..he must be so confused. You sound like wonderful parents.Be patient with him. The Amish have a lousy reputation as breedersā€¦.keep us posted!

marcelamaria

May 4, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleopatra
Poor baby! We rescued a English bulldog when she was 5 months old. She was caged in a shed outside with @40 other dogs. So sad, she also had worms, and other bacteria infections in her stomach when we got her. She went on antibiotics for quite a while during that time she was a ā€œpancake ā€œ I thought something was wrong with her legs . Even eating was slow and a chore. She didnā€™t want to be bothered. We gave her rice, boiled plain chicken and goats milk. I say she will feel much better when meds are done !!

Adorybull

Dec 15, 2010
Clayton, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Chloe, Izabelle, (Harley & Davie..rainbow bridge)
Unfortunately, being a rescue from Amish, he probably doesnā€™t even understand human touch or kindness. Heā€™s probably so scared and it will take time with him. These puppies donā€™t get much human interaction let alone vetted., hence the worms etc.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Definitely get off the peanut butter n oat as that will continue the loose stools. Often Amish farms are dogs to take care of the animals n not like a regular dog that gets spoiled at home. I went to pickup 10 chicken on an Amish farm n their dog was amongst the chickens only. Iā€™m not saying they all do that but their pets are known to stick with herds. Do stick to boil chicken and rice for time being. You can do this for 2-3weeks if you have to. Slowly integrate one protein kibble so you can monitor allergies (if any) then rotate to another protein n so on. Acana, Zignature, Fromm are higher quality kibbles. But if you can go raw, even better. Baby steps is the key. Even if you have to pick him up n bring him outside for time being. Sit outside to his level is even better so he builds confidence.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How is gunner doing?

Most Reactions