Moose is Injured

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Hi all. My girlfriend and I went to take him for a walk as she was walking him, she went off the sidewalk curb, he tried going the other way. He may have landed weirdly or something but now he is limping with his front right arm. I can't stand to see him like this. It is too late to go to the vet now. Any advice? Should we apply ice? He's not whining and didn't make a sound when this happened outside, but doesn't mean he's not hurting. Does it resolve on its own? Could it be a sprained/pulled muscle? I cant even look at him when he limps.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
@bulldogs1501 I am so sorry to hear this. Have you checked the paw pad?​

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Rest!!!!

See what he looks like in the morning

If all seems fine, good!!!

If not, head for the vet

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Awe poor Moose....
hopefully it's just a sprain! Bella was limping last week too. Vet said it was a sprain and to keep her from walking in it as much as possible. So that means crate and leash walks only for a week. And she got an anti-inflammatory RX.
She is not limping anymore but still keeping in her crate for most of the day. I feel awful doing that but I know it's what's best.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Rest!!!!

See what he looks like in the morning

If all seems fine, good!!!

If not, head for the vet
Yes! Our boy tore his paw pad a bit after a walk we discovered and we couldn't figure out why he was limping at first. It was like a split down the large middle paw pad - not bleeding or anything but I am sure hurt! Felt horrible for him. Some Bag balm helped it until healed up. Hope it is something minor if anything! Let us know!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have used diluted absorbine(horse) linament, rubbed the leg, if it is just a sprain. Don't let him lick it,though.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I have used diluted absorbine(horse) linament, rubbed the leg, if it is just a sprain. Don't let him lick it,though.

You have to be really careful with any liniments that contain oil of wintergreen - very toxic if licked like you mentioned. I would put some some gauze on top of a liniment containing oil of wintergreen, or use one of the essential oil mixtures that [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] likes

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=17893]bulldogs1501[/MENTION]. Dogs will always come up with some sort of limps in their lifetime. Duke is snoring deeply and in a split second... goes fly like a torpedo to the doors or if he hears you opening a bag in the kitchen. I know it’s just a question time for him. Praying he settles down eventually...wishful thinking. Anyhooo...always keep this mixture on hand for days you need to massage the limp. Don’t forget to add some on the spine. Just like humans we all have spinal fluids running in, out, around the spine/nerves and goes to our brain receptors. Brains says to the body...”stop the pain” I know for some this sounds odd but it’s a fact. Brain has the power to ease pain...ok ok I’ll stop as that’s another post.lol.

In 15 ml. bottle, I like the spray bottles....
Dogs only NOT cats!

Add fractionated coconut oil to the mixture
For dogs under 50lbs use 1/2teaspoon (if dogs is under 10lbs, double it)
Over 50lbs 1/4 teaspoon.
These teaspoons are for EACH oils below

40 drops Frankincense
20 drops Peppermint
20 drops Helichrysum
20 drops Marjoram

1 drop every 4-6 inches to the spine between the base of tail and the base of skull. Work into the skin. For long hair dogs part the fur. Do this every 6 hours as needed. This helps to reduce pain messaging to brain that I was saying. Also do apply to the affected joint/hip/muscle(s) for more targeted help.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Oh jeez!!! Sorry that I can't add anything, you have received great input. I just wanted to say PLEASE keep us updated and I am PRAYING that it is nothing serious!!!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Unless he's obviously in serious pain, I would give him a day or two... make him rest. Willow is constantly jumping on the furniture and running around like a crazy mad dog, and she usually is limping by the end of the day. If she is still limping after a couple of days I contact our vet...

Hopefully he will be back to his normal self soon...

OP
bulldogs1501

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Thank you all for your inputs. [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] I will try try it out and see how it works. Very helpful!

I called to schedule him for the vet this evening. Last night I tried slowly moving his arm and stretching it and applied pressure to see if he has pain anywhere. He didn't even flinch. He just laid in the bed looking at me like "what are you doing human". When he walks though he tries not to apply pressure on that arm so he walks crooked. This morning as soon as he saw the food bowl he ran to his feeding spot. I'm hoping its not serious, I'm thinking it could be a sprain or a pulled muscle.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I would put some some gauze on top of a liniment containing oil of wintergreen
Even better, gauze then cover with Vet-wrap(Co-Flex) Tape. It's good to have on hand for dogs, and people too!

Dakota Bully

Sep 23, 2016
North Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Diesel, Alise, Pia & Piglet Wiggle Britches
About 2 weeks ago, Piglet, playing wildly with one of her toys, took a flying leap off the couch, arched up into the air, cleared a 2 foot wide coffee table that was almost 2 feet away from the couch (so was air-born:jump: for a little over 5 feet) and landed. She tried to take off running and stopped, turned around, stuck her paw and leg out in a rather odd angle, looked at us and cried a pitiful high-pitched, LONG drawn out wail. I started the car and called the vet, Mike went to the floor to see if her leg could look normal and if she could walk. She didn't want to walk (Bulldogs can be some of the best drama king/queens ever:clap2:). We rushed her to the vet thinking possible fracture...oh, poor baby, you're so active how are we ever going to keep you quieted down while in a cast? Our vet is amazing as they will let us come in whenever no matter what, but they were busy so we had to wait in a room. Piglet was limping all over in that room, jumping onto the scale (we weighed her several times, lol) and trying to jump up on us. We could not keep her still. We were starting to get almost a little embarrassed by the time the vet came in that we had even brought her. We still wanted to make sure. The vet checked her over real well and said we could ice it....huh?!?....keep Piglet still enough to ice her leg:laugh:, and said we could come back if she seemed to be in pain or getting worse. She still limps sometimes, but my little acrobat WILL NOT SIT STILL!!! Every Bulldog seems to have their own cute little fetish. Piglet's is light. She does a cross between a hopping rabbit and a prancing, dancing deer. She combines those 2 types of motion and "prance jumps" onto light patches several hours a day. Although it is pretty funny to watch, she is not allowing herself to heal up completely yet. It's a long drawn out process with her. She doesn't seem to be in any pain and she is slowly getting better. But I guess the point is (after my little novel), sometimes we don't need to worry quite so much and make ourselves sick over it. Get the vet check done so you can rule anything out or get it fixed. It is just really something how those bully babies affect our hearts. I just hope I moved that fast when my kids were young and needed the doctor, lol!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.