Missing Patch of Hair

Bomber

Dec 1, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bomber
Good Day!! Wondering if your Bully has experienced missing patches of fur. Bomber is turning 3 and this is the first time he's lost a patch of fur. With a quick google search we found it could possibly be "seasonal flank alopecia". Simply cosmetic and will hopefully grow back in spring. We're still going to take him to the vet to factor out ringworm or mange. Any advice to prevent/cure ?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome! Can you post a picture o the spot? depending on where it is and the size, it could be a staph infection or some type of dermatitis so it is good to get the vet check and have a scrape done to identify

OP
Bomber

Bomber

Dec 1, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bomber
Good Day!! Wondering if your Bully has experienced missing patches of fur. Bomber is turning 3 and this is the first time he's lost a patch of fur. With a quick google search we found it could possibly be "seasonal flank alopecia". Simply cosmetic and will hopefully grow back in spring. We're still going to take him to the vet to factor out ringworm or mange. Any advice to prevent/cure ?
Went to the vetā€¦. Confirmed itā€™s not ringworm or mange. Suggested medicinal shampoo twice a week. Gonna check back in a couple weeks

Dundeered

Jul 10, 2021
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Geoff
Went to the vetā€¦. Confirmed itā€™s not ringworm or mange. Suggested medicinal shampoo twice a week. Gonna check back in a couple weeks
Iā€™m going through same issue on Geoffs back, was prescribed antibiotics and medicated shampoo. Finished course of antibiotics and the ( what can only be described as crushed biscuits in fur ) has gone but the fur thinning is an issue ongoing. He isnā€™t scratching or in any discomfort. Is there anything recommended for growing back fur?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What food are you usingā€¦ brand and protein?

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Iā€™m going through same issue on Geoffs back, was prescribed antibiotics and medicated shampoo. Finished course of antibiotics and the ( what can only be described as crushed biscuits in fur ) has gone but the fur thinning is an issue ongoing. He isnā€™t scratching or in any discomfort. Is there anything recommended for growing back fur?
Hi, Nustock is supposed to help hair regrowth too.

Dundeered

Jul 10, 2021
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Geoff
It isnā€™t sctusl bald spots more really thin patches. If I tried to apply Nustock it would just mat his fur. Iā€™ve used Nustock on bald spots and agree it seemed to promote the fur to grow back in those area

Frankz1971

Dec 8, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly
Yes! My bulldog has the same thing. Our vet encouraged us to give her melatonin (5mgs) daily, which is based on her weight, and It worked. It seems to return in late fall but does improve in the spring. (I wonder if using the furminator deshedding tool made it worse.)
In the second pic you can see where the alopecia was - it completely filled in by mid-spring.

Attachments

• DAD2D2A2-D83D-41FE-8964-2867569E7665.jpeg
    DAD2D2A2-D83D-41FE-8964-2867569E7665.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 98
  • FF4FE4D9-B29A-4E95-9B21-8D8341C399F7.jpeg
    FF4FE4D9-B29A-4E95-9B21-8D8341C399F7.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 96

ppardoski

Sep 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Beauty
My Beauty had seasonal flank alopecia, and all prescriptions vet prescribed didn't work and were costly and it kept recurring. I worked in Pet Nutrition, and Holistic health and using 3mg capsules of Melatonin/day (open capsule & sprinkle over food) each morning year-round solved the problem. I kept her on the 3mg maintenance dose her entire life. Initially, I gave her 9mg for the 1st 30days, and her fur grew back completely within 60 days - no spots. NOW Brand has 90 30mg capsules in a bottle for $2.99. This is also used to treat alopecia in human males. No prednisone or allergy meds prescribed by vet ever worked. It also worked for my neighbor's tan bully girl.

ppardoski

Sep 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Beauty
Melatonin 3mg day capsule - open capsule & sprinkle over food. Hair grows back within 60 days. Kept my Beauty on 3mg/day maintenance dose for her entire life and never had another issue. Prednisone, antibiotics, allergy meds never worked. NOW Brand has 90 3mg capsules for $2.99. Best cure!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Melatonin does work for most, but it did not for my guy. Vitamin D helped but the best fix was a raw diet.

find what works for your baby as they are all different

lauracarlson

Apr 25, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
My bulldog, almost three years old, has the same problem. I have tried every kind of food. My last bulldog had the same problem and gave him melatonin and it all grew back pretty fast. Not this bulldog. They are pretty large patches on both sides of her flank. Do you have pictures of yours you can post? We have had every thing checked, thyroid for one...I did send in some hair to 5 Strands and she does have alot of allergies, I have already changed her to Lamb but so far it seems like she is losing more hair.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
My bulldog, almost three years old, has the same problem. I have tried every kind of food. My last bulldog had the same problem and gave him melatonin and it all grew back pretty fast. Not this bulldog. They are pretty large patches on both sides of her flank. Do you have pictures of yours you can post? We have had every thing checked, thyroid for one...I did send in some hair to 5 Strands and she does have alot of allergies, I have already changed her to Lamb but so far it seems like she is losing more hair.

What are you currently feeding her???

If her allergies are getting worse and more hair is falling out, maybe a different diet can help and immune boost.

What brand of food is it??

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online