Marking - how to stop

lovemydog

Apr 16, 2013
Wichita, KS
Country
Hong Kong
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus (2011-2013), Orrla (2009-2020), Dugall
We have a one-year old male puppy, Dugall, and his mother, Orrla, 5 yrs old plus (fixed). We have Dugall since he was 10 weeks old, everytime we took him out, he would do his business. Two weeks later, we adopted his mom, he was still very good to do his business outside, never failed. But when he started to grow up, he started to manages to save some for marking. He sniffs where she sat and pee on it, carpet, her day bed, night bed, her #1 and #2 outside... We can't bring him to see family because he just focus on marking. Every time when he marked inside the house, I tried to clean it up as much and I can, for carpet, first dry the area, wet towels to dilute the urine, dry it again, and spray the area with 'Nature Miracle'..., then every other week deep carpet cleaning; if it's a removable suject, I throw to wash immediately ... still he is marking...

Is there any way to stop him? He is a very good puppy except this marking behaviour. I don't blame him, because I still can smell a strong 'scent' from Orrla eventhough she is already fixed.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Looks like he may be territory marking, but it is unusual for him to be doing this indoors. he could be trying to impress her with his masculinity and also making sure that other dogs knows she's spoken for.

Problem is dogs can smell pee for weeks

Does he do it in front of you? Or when you are out? -if you are out it could be signs of anxiety

Sorry forgot to add -have you vet checked him for uti

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Supervise and Break the Habit

You MUST catch him in the act! DOGS LEARN QUICKLY FROM THIS

Close supervision is necessary. You must be dedicated to stop the marking behavior of your dog and you must be consistent.
Confine your dog to one area of the house where you can watch him. Shut doors to other areas of the house or barricade them off with baby gates or improvise with whatever is at hand.
Make yourself a Shaker Bottle or Shaker Can-use it as a "distraction"
A shaker can is simply an empty cola can with a several coins inside it. The opening is taped over to prevent the coins flying out. It makes a lot of noise when you shake it up and down.(shaker bottle -its a plastic bottle filled with stones etc )
Watch your dog for any signs (such as sniffing and circling) that he is even thinking about marking. The moment he begins to lift his leg shake the can once only to get his attention. The loud noise should startle him and interrupt what he is doing. As he looks towards where the noise has come from. Give him the command in a stern voice 'NO PEE'. And take him outside -reward him for "good behavior"
you have to be consistent and diligent and continue with the behavior modification each and every time you see him attempt to mark urine.Do not rant, rave or smack your dog at any time. Punishment will make an insecure dog more insecure.
When you took him outside to do his pee -tell him what a good boy he is. Tell him, 'Pee here, good boy' in a happy voice. Dogs learn quickly from positive responses to their behavior.

The message you are trying to get across to him is that urine marking isn't bad, but that marking inside the house isn't such a good idea

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
I caught Walley-Bubba red handed doing this.
Shadow (Yorkie) was on the other side of the bedroom door.
I guess WB decided to leave a calling card.
Anyway, WB got his rump swatted good and proper.
Sure hope he doesn't do that again.
I keep him on the lead at all times now when he's not gated in the kitchen.
He doesn't seem to mind and is as sweet as ever.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Is Dugall fixed? If not, that would be my first suggestion. But the other have given great suggestions. My Oldest use to mark and he stopped hen I caught him red handed and screamed like I was being murdered (he hates that) ever since then he has never marked in the house again.

OP
lovemydog

lovemydog

Apr 16, 2013
Wichita, KS
Country
Hong Kong
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus (2011-2013), Orrla (2009-2020), Dugall
Thank you for all your response. Sorry I haven't been in the Forum over a year, health problems within my family.
Dugall did it when we were out, other than peeing, he did show other signs of anxiety when I left home. I'm home office, therefore he used to be with me 24/7, it's a big deal when I'm out of his sight. Now he's getting older and getting better, he only marked the new furniture ... sigh

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Is Dugall fixed? If not, that would be my first suggestion.
Yes! If he's not going to stud, get him neutered.
This will likely curb the urge...it works more times than not.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
It worked with Monty after he was fixed. He was 4 yrs old.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online