Mange?

joelle519

May 25, 2010
Weston, Florida
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey

My bulldog Zoey was diagnosed 6 weeks ago with a staff infection and placed on antibiotics. She had no response from the medication and the "lesions" were getting worse. She has very dry, flaky skin with large patches of missing fur on her back. The vet was doing skin scrape after skin scrape and never once mentioned the word mange~ until I did. He decided to treat her for sarcoptic mange even though there is no sign of mites. This past Friday he gave her an injection of Ivermectin and gave her a lyme&sulfur dip. He said she will require 2 more dips ~ 2 weeks apart.
I have read that it is not necessary to dip if Ivermectin is being administered...is this true? If not, is there a medicated shampoo I can use instead of having her dipped at the vet?
Zoey is almost 3 years old and has never had any skin issues~ up until now.

Jefferson bulldogs

Feb 7, 2010
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
IZA Diva & Lots 'O Dots
We have never had mange issues with our dogs but I have done some research on the issue. Mange is due to the dog having a weakened immune system. If your dog had an infection that could cause a weakened immune system and therefore bring on a mite infestation. Doesnt sound like your dog has mites since your vet didnt mention it. Honestly If I were you I would find a new vet. Unnecessary treatments are a sign that your vet just wants money out of you. Do more research. If you think it could be mange you can use a more natural remedy...mix Borax with hydrogen peroxide and water in a bucket then slowly pour onto the affected areas. Do not rinse let it dry. Do this once a week for 3 weeks. Its cheaper and much much less toxic. You'll notice a difference within a few weeks. A friend of mine had this issue and this is what she used.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If your bully has already had an ivermectin injection AND a dip- I would not think it would be necessary to dip 2 more times.

Also, it sounds as if, as Jefferson stated above, 'skin scrapings after skin scrapings....' I am certain each one of those costed you.

Is there anything different you have done, like change dog foods, give a different treat, change dog shampoo, gone swimming, ect. in the past month that you have never done before?

You can keep a dog (blog) diary here at the forums, to keep track of food changes and things your bulldog does.
Here is mine, I just started it last week! :)
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/blog.php?2-desertskybulldogs

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
My bulldog Linus had demodex mange when he was around 8 months old. It produced the same symptoms you describe - itchy, flaky skin, bald patches on the back then limbs - and can be quite serious and uncomfortable if it gets the upper hand. We treated Linus with a series of three Mitoban dips at the vet. I would highly recommend these for a few reasons. First, washing the dog isn't the same as dipping and the vet can really get from nose to tail without a problem and let the dog dry completely so the medication sinks into the skin, where the mites make their homes. The other thing is that the mites can be very stubborn - so a skin scrape on one part can still mean there are mites present and could flare up again, so it's really important to treat the whole dog, not just the spots or certain areas AND to complete the entire series of dips to make sure they are all gone.

I agree that the vet's treatment plan is a bit puzzling so I would ask him directly why Zoey is receiving an injection on top of the dips? It was my understanding that in Linus' case, we could do the injection OR the dips and we elected the dips because they produced quicker results and do not involve any medication going in the body - and that both were only used in the most serious cases, which doesn't sound like Zoey's.

Good luck and I hope you get some answers and Zoey feels better soon!

saesteban

Aug 3, 2010
I would be wary of a vet who is treating for mange when they did not find mites. Please go to a bulldog vet and have Zoey checked for MRSA. My bully is going through it right now. What we thought was a staph infection in the beginning turned out to be MRSA. Our vet checked for MRSA when the antibiotics did not heal the staph infections. MRSA is bacteria that has become resistant to antibiotics that's why it's not healing. The vet will take a culture and check what stronger antibiotics will work on the bacteria. In our case, only 2 antibiotics worked on the lab setting when the cultures were tested. Please do not panic....it might also be as simple as food allergy or shampoo allergy.

OP
J

joelle519

May 25, 2010
Weston, Florida
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey

Thank you for all the comments and advice.
I just recently switched Zoey's food because of the skin issues... she is now on a grain free, limited ingredients diet of fish and sweet potato. She was in a kiddy pool a few weeks back at a bulldog/rescue event and has been in our pool recently as well~ something she does frequently living in south florida. I called a vet dermatologists office yesterday and spoke with a nurse. She said treating Zoey with sulfur/lyme dips~ along with Ivermectin is okay... they are both safe and effective. I am going to continue with the treatment of 2 more dips, and if she does not improve~ she will be seeing the dermatologist.
Hopefully, in a few weeks I will have good news to report.

whitecrow2050

Mar 16, 2010
denver
Bulldog(s) Names
whitebear, leroy bryson maverick, kiara heaven angel
antibiotic wont help with mange for sure , is just for skin infections , first tell the vet make skin scrapings to be sure he has demodex mange and what i do i used ivomec 1ml per day by mouth http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p/274-Ivomec-1-.aspx
and lime plus pet dip http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p/165-Lime-Plus-Pet-Dip.aspx used both for 1 month and you will see the hair will grow up , my friend has the same problem before but the vet used mitaban bath for 2 months and each time he charge $75 for mitaban bath he finish with the treatment now 3 months later he still have demodex mange and we are using this treatment better is already 2 weeks and the hair is grow in up and he is getting better , and buy a nuvet suplement for his immune system used this 3 things and he will better soon , and you have to spayed her cause if she have puppies they will have the same problem and when the heat came the demodex can came back cause s a lot of stress for the female and the inmune system drop off

Last edited:

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
I would be wary of a vet who is treating for mange when they did not find mites. Please go to a bulldog vet and have Zoey checked for MRSA. My bully is going through it right now. What we thought was a staph infection in the beginning turned out to be MRSA. Our vet checked for MRSA when the antibiotics did not heal the staph infections. MRSA is bacteria that has become resistant to antibiotics that's why it's not healing. The vet will take a culture and check what stronger antibiotics will work on the bacteria. In our case, only 2 antibiotics worked on the lab setting when the cultures were tested. Please do not panic....it might also be as simple as food allergy or shampoo allergy.

a little random, but my son contracted mrsa at preschool about a year ago, and has had recurrences every 4 months since, my father also contracted it from Braeden and has had it 3 times. MRSA is a very prevalent form of staph infection nowadays and is super contagious when it is an open wound and/or pussing. Antibiotics have made the infection go away each time, and the doctor seems to think that re-exposure to MRSA has caused the new infections (as opposed to it continuing to live on his body, and flaring up). So, not much advice to give, but MRSA is becoming more of a concern with staph (mostly skin, but can be blood and intestinal) infections these days, and it seems asthough doctors dont quite know what to do about it. I had MRSA about the same time as Braeden first did last year and never got it again, and thankfully Horse hasn't gotten it either. But, it's definetly quite prevalent now and something to look into when a dog has a skin infection that isnt responding to conventional treatment (MRSA is an anti-biotic resistant form of staph, and only responds to a few antibiotics).

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Lex just got over mange a few weeks ago, at first he lost hair around his eye and his eye was a little red , and the skin was very red and inflammed the vet didnt want to scrap cause he wouldnt stay still long enough. so he gave us some ointment to put in his eye . after a week of that we noticed a spot on his right chest of baldness, so we took him back andwas able to scrap, he put him on some anitbiotics twice a day and some ointment once a day it took about 2weeks for it to start clearing up. he's hair has grown back and cant even tell he had it. the vet did say that if he got anymore baldness that he wanted to start him w the dips.

Last edited:

soocchi

Feb 9, 2011
Hi WHitecrow,
I think my 3 month old puppy has mange. She's having random pimples with pus. Her back and sides are starting to have bumpy hives and she's losing alot of hair there. Now the somewhat hairless areas are starting to flake. Those areas seem to smell weird. Anyways, I'm going to get him tested for mange but I really like your "cheaper" solution. If she has mange, how long do I feed ivomec 1ml/day for?

Thanks

antibiotic wont help with mange for sure , is just for skin infections , first tell the vet make skin scrapings to be sure he has demodex mange and what i do i used ivomec 1ml per day by mouth Ivomec 1% - Revival Animal Health
and lime plus pet dip Lime Plus Pet Dip - Revival Animal Health used both for 1 month and you will see the hair will grow up , my friend has the same problem before but the vet used mitaban bath for 2 months and each time he charge $75 for mitaban bath he finish with the treatment now 3 months later he still have demodex mange and we are using this treatment better is already 2 weeks and the hair is grow in up and he is getting better , and buy a nuvet suplement for his immune system used this 3 things and he will better soon , and you have to spayed her cause if she have puppies they will have the same problem and when the heat came the demodex can came back cause s a lot of stress for the female and the inmune system drop off

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hi WHitecrow,
I think my 3 month old puppy has mange. She's having random pimples with pus. Her back and sides are starting to have bumpy hives and she's losing alot of hair there. Now the somewhat hairless areas are starting to flake. Those areas seem to smell weird. Anyways, I'm going to get him tested for mange but I really like your "cheaper" solution. If she has mange, how long do I feed ivomec 1ml/day for?

Thanks

Hi [MENTION=1824]soocchi[/MENTION] and welcome to the forum!! Sorry to hear that your bully is having skin issues!! I have no experience with mange but a lot of the other members do so hopefully they can help you. I didn't know that mange can cause pus filled pimples??? However, as I said I haven't ever experienced mange so that is not to say that it is something different.

What is your bullys name? We would love to see some pics!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.