Lunging at guests

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hi, our 4 year old Lola has become kind of cranky. She is usually very sweet. If a new person is in our home, she is nervous and will growl and lunge at them if they try to pet her. Usually, I tell people to ignore her when they first come in, then when she sees they're ok she'll be fine and calm. Last night after my aunt had been here an hour or so, she tried pet Lola, and Lola allowed it for a few seconds then growled and jumped right at my aunt's face (no contact thankfully). Scared us all. My husband grabbed Lola's collar and made her leave the room. I was very upset by it.

She sometimes does the same thing to us if we startle her when she's asleep. She actually bit my adult son when he petted her when she was asleep.

Let sleeping dogs lie is an expression for a reason, I guess, and is easily avoided. But I am very worried about having people over. Any suggestions?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would have her checked by the vet... including a thyroid test. She may be in some type of pain... and the thyroid being out of whack can cause sudden aggression

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
If I may ask, when was her last rabies shot? There is evidence linking rabies short with sudden aggressive behavior in dogs who were sweet and loving prior to that.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Often from what I have read, dogs who were sweet and loving and then turned gruff and cranky are experiencing some type of pain and trying to pet/play is not helping, somewhat similar to attempting to play games with someone with a toothache. Something is bothering her and is not her normal self.

OP
korikelly

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
She is up to date on all vaccines, and had a check up this summer. I will start with the vet ASAP.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.