Lump on Bulldogs Palate

mirandachester

Jul 21, 2021
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Hello everyone,

I noticed a pink, oddly symmetrical lump on the top of Chesters (4 years old) palate the other day, Iā€™ve attached a picture below. I had never seen anything like it, and my breeder hadnā€™t either. Going back to my pictures and videos, Iā€™ve noticed you can make it out since 2019. Heā€™s had many many physical exams and bloodwork done for unrelated things, and Iā€™m kicking myself that Iā€™ve missed it. A quick email to my vet has said that it could be a number of things and that if it doesnā€™t go away in two weeks (and since itā€™s been there for awhile it probably wonā€™t) they would like to look at it and do a fine needle aspiration of it (but would have to put him under). Iā€™m going crazy with worry about the lump and the possibility of that procedure. Has anyone seen anything like this?

B9A7A7C0-5DB6-499F-A7D1-472C45D46B26.jpeg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
This may be what is called an epilus, which is more common in flat faced dogs. My girl had one(a large one) on her gums, and it was surgically removed. They are usually benign, but should be checked out. [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
This may be what is called an epilus...
That's exactly what it looks like.

Copied from...

https://www.petcoach.co/dog/condition/epulis/

"Causation
An epulis is the most common benign tumor of the mouth in dogs. It is usually located in the gum tissue near the incisors or canine teeth. It originates in the connective tissue that holds the teeth to the bone of the jaw. The literal translation of "epulis" is "gum boil". The most common cause of epulis is a result of trauma in the mouth, often occurring as the teeth rub the gums.

There are three types of epulides:

Fibromatous: Consists of tough, fibrous tissue.

Ossifying: In addition to fibrous tissue, also contains bone cells. These may transform into cancerous tumors.

Acanthomatous: More invasive, growing into the normal bone around it and destroying it, but not metastasizing (spreading elsewhere in the body). These tumors are now also more commonly known as acanthomatous ameloblastomas."

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lynn and Chip got yaā€¦. Please keep us posted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online