Lump in fergies under belly

dfmccitroen

Oct 14, 2014
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergie
Hi guys
Fairly new to the site, never really had to post anything for help/advice but I would like some now if possible.
Our nearly 10 year old bully fergie has developed a lump just under her ribcage which has grown over the last few week, she has had bloods taken and they have come back( 2weeks ago) with no abnormal levels in liver/kidneys, I am however still not convinced that this should be left as it is, ive rung the vet back but he doesn't have the relevant tech to take the issue further so has referred us for a possible mri scan/ ultra sound to see what the lump could be or even more advanced blood tests, she has also started drinking more and weeing alot more often than usual, she seems fine not in pain, eating well also, we lost a dog last year through cancer and I fear that's what it could be again, we have decided even its the worst news we won't be putting her through chemo at her age, any thoughts or comments would be appreciated or even if anyone has had the possible same issue that could give us any advice, also here is a picture of our girl! 20210409_170736.jpg
Thanks

Attachments

• 20210323_182800.jpg
    20210323_182800.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 467
  • 20210104_165801.jpg
    20210104_165801.jpg
    726.3 KB · Views: 614

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so very sorry to read this... I would like you, want to know what exactly you were dealing with and getting the ultrasound seems like a good idea. BUT with your baby being 10 years old, personally I wouldn't put her thru surgery at her age. Make her as comfortable as possible, and just move forward... hopefully it's nothing too serious.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
At that age, I would guess that it’s cancer…but hopeful that I'm wrong. Can you pinch around it and isolate it from surrounding tissue, bone? That could be a good sign. Please report back what the Vet finds out.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
agree with oscarmayer. if it is easier to move around, it could just be a fatty tumor, as far as the drinking more/peeing more while at the vet have her checked for diabetes. wishing only good news and please let us know. she is a pretty gal.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sending lots of positive thoughts it is nothing serious. Agree with the gang… see if you can move it around and please let us know the vet says

OP
dfmccitroen

dfmccitroen

Oct 14, 2014
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergie
Sending lots of positive thoughts it is nothing serious. Agree with the gang… see if you can move it around and please let us know the vet says
Hi guys so really In need of advice we r stuck with whats best to do for fergie, spoke to vets and they want to see her, the problem is they want to keep her for x-rays, we know for a fact she will fret so badly if we leave her in a place she's never been and being blind will only add to the problem hearing other dogs and people, and not knowing where she is, dont want her thinking we have abandoned her, she wil be held In a small crate like all dogs are at the vets whilst waiting to be seen when not with their owner but we are afraid she might have a heart attack (may sound dramatic) but she's such an anxious little dog, we obviously want to know what the mass Is but don't want to put her through unnecessary stress either way, if they come bk with bad news we already decided we won't treat it via an operation, and if it's not so bad news we've stressed her out when we didn't need to. What should we do? She seems ok not in pain or anything, eating normally but drinking more than usual, should we carry on and just see how she goes? We lost our other girl last year during lockdown through cancer (she was a husky) we knew it was time for her, seeing her deteriate was awful, and worried it could happen again.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hi guys so really In need of advice we r stuck with whats best to do for fergie, spoke to vets and they want to see her, the problem is they want to keep her for x-rays, we know for a fact she will fret so badly if we leave her in a place she's never been and being blind will only add to the problem hearing other dogs and people, and not knowing where she is, dont want her thinking we have abandoned her, she wil be held In a small crate like all dogs are at the vets whilst waiting to be seen when not with their owner but we are afraid she might have a heart attack (may sound dramatic) but she's such an anxious little dog, we obviously want to know what the mass Is but don't want to put her through unnecessary stress either way, if they come bk with bad news we already decided we won't treat it via an operation, and if it's not so bad news we've stressed her out when we didn't need to. What should we do? She seems ok not in pain or anything, eating normally but drinking more than usual, should we carry on and just see how she goes? We lost our other girl last year during lockdown through cancer (she was a husky) we knew it was time for her, seeing her deteriate was awful, and worried it could happen again.
I say go with your gut... if you feel that it's NOT an option to leave your baby there then don't do it. Why can't they let you sit w/her in your vehicle, and come inside for the x-rays and leave promptly?!! Considering ALL the issues that she has, they need to accommodate her as much as absolutely possible... especially w/her severe anxiety.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I would ask them to do a needle biopsy...see if they can draw anything(cells) out of the mass. They can come out and do that right in your car.
An X-ray is not going to show anything definitive...in terms of whether the mass/masses are benign or malignant.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with Tar yes and Chip…. Ask for options .. biopsy or waiting with her till they can take her back

ASKennedy

Jul 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
It was Bruschi.

I agree with oscarmayer. Have them do a needle biopsy and cytology of the cells in the lump. They can usually distinguish whether there are cancer cells or not. This is how we knew our female had mammary cancer. Only AFTER they confirmed the cells were cancerous did they do the X-rays to see if the mass had metastasized or not. The X-rays showed it had not, so we did surgery and they removed half of her mammary chain. This was about 3 years ago.

A new lump just showed up this last week next to another nipple. The mass is still so small the vet couldn’t even do a needle biopsy. So for now, I’m checking it daily to see if it changes. If/when it grows, then they can at least look at the cells. If benign, great. If cancer, here comes another surgery.

You should NOT have to pay for an MRI at this point. I’ve also had my dogs X-rayed plenty of times. They don’t let me back in the room, but they take my dog right from me to do the x-ray and bring her back after.

Between my two bulldogs I’ve dealt with myelopathy, seizures, enteropathy, cancer, torn CCL’s, you name it. I’ve seen gastroenterologists, oncologists, and veterinary neurosurgeons. I know these dogs and treatment well.

John

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 7, 2015
My dog has quite a few small lipomas on his underbelly and a very large one. The large one is about 3" by 2" on the largest part by circumference. It has gotten this large over about 2 years. I've taken him in over the past 5 years for these 3 times and every time they send off a sample it comes back benign.

They are just fatty deposits, at least on Dexter. They said until they become an issue for him just to leave them be. He's 9 years old and they said it would be better to just leave them be until it starts bothering him.

The large one bothers me but it doesn't seem to bother him. Hope this helps.

upsfeeder88

Dec 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Boomer
Hi guys
Fairly new to the site, never really had to post anything for help/advice but I would like some now if possible.
Our nearly 10 year old bully fergie has developed a lump just under her ribcage which has grown over the last few week, she has had bloods taken and they have come back( 2weeks ago) with no abnormal levels in liver/kidneys, I am however still not convinced that this should be left as it is, ive rung the vet back but he doesn't have the relevant tech to take the issue further so has referred us for a possible mri scan/ ultra sound to see what the lump could be or even more advanced blood tests, she has also started drinking more and weeing alot more often than usual, she seems fine not in pain, eating well also, we lost a dog last year through cancer and I fear that's what it could be again, we have decided even its the worst news we won't be putting her through chemo at her age, any thoughts or comments would be appreciated or even if anyone has had the possible same issue that could give us any advice, also here is a picture of our girl! View attachment 122019
Thanks
Sorry to hear about the issue that Fergie is having. Boomer also had a lump
Hi guys
Our nearly 10 year old bully fergie has developed a lump just under her ribcage which has grown over the last few week, she has had bloods taken and they have come back( 2weeks ago) with no abnormal levels in liver/kidneys, I am however still not convinced that this should be left as it is, ive rung the vet back but he doesn't have the relevant tech to take the issue further so has referred us for a possible mri scan/ ultra sound to see what the lump could be or even more advanced blood tests, she has also started drinking more and weeing alot more often than usual, she seems fine not in pain, eating well also, we lost a dog last year through cancer and I fear that's what it could be again, we have decided even its the worst news we won't be putting her through chemo at her age, any thoughts or comments would be appreciated or even if anyone has had the possible same issue that could give us any advice, also here is a picture of our girl! View attachment 122019
Thanks
Sorry to hear about the issue Fergie is having. My bully Boomer is also 10 years young and had a few lumps developed on his belly and top of his neck. The vet was certain that they were fatty tumors, which is common among all breeds. He actually used a needle and took a sample of the contents and confirmed it was a fatty tumor. It was small and stayed small (maybe the size of a marble). He also had a few birth moles on his belly and they started to raise, so when the neck one showed up, the sample showed some concerning cells, so the vet suggested we remove it. While he was under I had them all removed at once. All the test came back negative and within 2 weeks he was all healed up. Just waiting for his hair to grow back. I am glad we had them removed and he has no effects from the surgery. Try to have your vet take a sample of the growth. Under a microscope, he/she should be able to tell if the cells are suspect. I wish you the best of luck!

OP
dfmccitroen

dfmccitroen

Oct 14, 2014
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergie
Hi everyone
Bad news I'm afraid, she has a tumor on her liver that has spread to her spleen its inoperable as its attached to both, we are heartbroken as the vet says it's just a case of keeping her comfortable, she has been given 50mg tramadol painkillers incase she does start to experience pain. She's been sedated today for x-rays which is how they found the issue, so she's still groggy but at home on our bed sleeping it off, gonna miss her so much when she's not here absolutely gutted, we lost our other husky girl last year to cancer to.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi everyone
Bad news I'm afraid, she has a tumor on her liver that has spread to her spleen its inoperable as its attached to both, we are heartbroken as the vet says it's just a case of keeping her comfortable, she has been given 50mg tramadol painkillers incase she does start to experience pain. She's been sedated today for x-rays which is how they found the issue, so she's still groggy but at home on our bed sleeping it off, gonna miss her so much when she's not here absolutely gutted, we lost our other husky girl last year to cancer to.
I'm heartbroken to read this... so very sorry, I have no words. Just love on her and enjoy your time... we are here for you!!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Very sorry that you got a bad report. I was hoping for something unremarkable. Just do what you have to so she doesn't suffer and remember that the kindest thing you will ever do for her is to let her go when the time comes. :cry:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online