Louise

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Chlorhexidine is great stuff two things to keep in mind:
1. Be very careful not to get it into their eyes. It can cause blindness. ā€œSprayā€ would scare me because of this, just be careful when you apply it
2. You can buy a gallon of animal rated chlorhexidine 2% for less than $20 on Amazon - you can also buy some from your dentist or pharmacist, but human grade is a lot more expensive. my vet charges more than the dentist. I keep a Tupperware tub of pre soaked gauze and refill whenever I run out. A gallon will last you a long time.

Last edited:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
The Vet suspected Dermadex? Not sure the spelling, or if thats even accurate. She doesn't itch them.
Vet did a skin scrape and although it wasn't positive for "dermadex" ? She gave chlorehexidine spray to treat it.

Thanks guys for your help! I think it may be play / bite marks, but then again when I inspect the rest of her, where she's black, I can't seem to find anymore marks. Like I said, they don't seem to bother her at all, but I've read so much about all their potential allergies. I hope I'm lucky and they have zero allergies :LOL:

And I am still feeding bil-jac. Along with snacks:
carrots, cauliflower, watermelon, frozen green beans, plain greek yogurt, and cottage cheese. As treats of course, so very little of each. They love it.
Vet did a skin scrape and although it wasn't positive for "dermadex"ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

Meaning play bites. Donā€™t waste youā€™re $ for nothing. IMOā€¦.Some Vets will still give you something which often can make it worse if itā€™s not the issue. Get use to them if youā€™re going to have 2+ dogs šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

OP
TxMom2

TxMom2

May 1, 2022
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louise and Chief
OMG, be careful of those chews! They are chemicals that cause neurological issues, they actually donā€™t get rid of fleas, just claim to prevent them.

My dog now deals with head tremors because of those!

Vets just push those chemical chewsā˜¹ļø
Omg!!! What?!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Omg!!! What
At the end of the day we all need to read the ingredients in any pet food as sadly, yes a lot has chemicals in them. Example rawhide. Tons of chemicals, glue, sawdust etc. I totally donā€™t understand why that crap is still on the market. FDA turns a blind eye way too many times on pet food.

OP
TxMom2

TxMom2

May 1, 2022
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louise and Chief
At the end of the day we all need to read the ingredients in any pet food as sadly, yes a lot has chemicals in them. Example rawhide. Tons of chemicals, glue, sawdust etc. I totally donā€™t understand why that crap is still on the market. FDA turns a blind eye way too many times on pet food.
Iā€™ve heard/read that the states approves just about anything food/drug wise to sell in stores. That it doesnā€™t matter how harmful the ingredients. Iā€™ve read that so many things on the shelves in the US arenā€™t even allowed to be sold in other countries for reasons like ā€œcancer causingā€ etc. it is sad.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet

Definitely and that also is in flea and tick products, the chews my dog was given that caused him head tremors, and also the ā€˜yearly or every 2-3 year vaccinesā€™, once they have had the puppy shots, they are protected for life. Heartworm prevention meds etc.

Itā€™s crazy and gross of what all they can get away with putting in pet foods, treats, and medications for dogs.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Iā€™ve heard/read that the states approves just about anything food/drug wise to sell in stores. That it doesnā€™t matter how harmful the ingredients. Iā€™ve read that so many things on the shelves in the US arenā€™t even allowed to be sold in other countries for reasons like ā€œcancer causingā€ etc. it is sad.

Oh yes thatā€™s why we pet owners must be very careful what the dogs eat, so many cancer causing chemicals and some molds in ā€˜low end kibbleā€™ Iā€™m not saying donā€™t feed kibble, but some low end brands have been recalled and same with treats.

Same goes for dog toothpaste and treats, ingredients like ā€˜sodium benzoateā€™ are a allergen and can cause cancer.

I will attach a screenshot of a list of ingredients used in dog toothpaste and also in pet food and treats.
See this chart, it might surprise you!

1657433625283.jpeg

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.