Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:nice2meetu: Welcome Frankie! You are a handsome dude! Plenty of advice to be had here when you need it!

OP
Franksbullymom

Franksbullymom

Mar 8, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frankie
:nice2meetu: Welcome Frankie! You are a handsome dude! Plenty of advice to be had here when you need it!
Well frankie is still a puppy but how do i teach him to correct the biting? Or is it due to teething?! He lunges for my husband and i before he will even go pee in the morning lol. I just dont want him to get bigger and still be biting!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Biting is a phase that normally stops after a few months but left uncorrected, can turn ugly. Do not let him bite your hands and feet, ever. If he tries to, gently grab the little beast, yell "NO!", turn him on his back and hold him there until he stops...then stick him in a kennel. Put a chew toy in his mouth(no string chews, rawhides or stuffed animals). While he's in there, take the time to dress your wounds and gather your thoughts. After about 15 minutes let him out. If he continues to try to bite at your hands, feet, arms pants, shoes, sleeves, children, etc...YELL some more and repeat. He will eventually get it. It may take a very long time for him to get it. Have plenty of chews around. We don't get many puppies in rescue but when we do, the soft Nylabone(or similar) is what they get.

Soft Nylabone

If you do nothing to correct this undesirable behavior then he will never learn and you can expect a lifetime of behavior management. BTW, be careful when hugging or giving a kiss to a "teething" puppy. You may end up with needly marks on your face. Do not ever let a puppy(or adult dog) into your bed. That puts them on equal ground with you and opens the door for them to assume the ALPHA role in the home. Allowing on furniture is also something that should not be done until the family pecking order is established.

Last edited:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Oscarmayer got you covered there.

Just want to add my 2 cents - teaching an EB a firm 'No' or 'Stop' or in my case, I taught 'uh-uh' is as important as positive reinforcement for good behavior. It's basically a quick command to signal the EB to stop what he is doing and look at you. This command is useful in many applications, for example:
Biting or chewing furniture or any other undersired behavior - this will signal the EB to stop what he's doing and look at you, at which time you can then redirect his play or his energy.
Walking - when walking the dog (especially when still training to walk on a leash), this command can be issued instead of rattling the leash when your dog's attention strays or he starts pulling ahead, etc. This signals the dog to stop, look at you, at which time you can signal him to continue walking when you catch his attention/he falls back to proper walking position. I like this method better than rattling the leash because my bully just doesn't care that his leash is rattling and pulling on a leash to stop that massive EB body is just not a good idea.
etc.

OP
Franksbullymom

Franksbullymom

Mar 8, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frankie
Biting is a phase that normally stops after a few months but left uncorrected, can turn ugly. Do not let him bite your hands and feet, ever. If he tries to, gently grab the little beast, yell "NO!", turn him on his back and hold him there until he stops...then stick him in a kennel. Put a chew toy in his mouth(no string chews, rawhides or stuffed animals). While he's in there, take the time to dress your wounds and gather your thoughts. After about 15 minutes let him out. If he continues to try to bite at your hands, feet, arms pants, shoes, sleeves, children, etc...YELL some more and repeat. He will eventually get it. It may take a very long time for him to get it. Have plenty of chews around. We don't get many puppies in rescue but when we do, the soft Nylabone(or similar) is what they get.

Soft Nylabone

If you do nothing to correct this undesirable behavior then he will never learn and you can expect a lifetime of behavior management. BTW, be careful when hugging or giving a kiss to a "teething" puppy. You may end up with needly marks on your face. Do not ever let a puppy(or adult dog) into your bed. That puts them on equal ground with you and opens the door for them to assume the ALPHA role in the home. Allowing on furniture is also something that should not be done until the family pecking order is established.
Wow that was super helpful! And i will definitely not let him in my bed anymore! Ive been the one mostly trying to train him and i always notice him trying to not walk with me correctly on the leash or be overly biting with ME. My husbands parents have always had dogs so he is familiar with how to be stern. Me on the other hand im a big softy and still think he's a puppy and doesn't completely understand wrong from right but im realizing that makes him forget that me AND my husband are his owners. So thank you for this i will trying a few new things ☺️

OP
Franksbullymom

Franksbullymom

Mar 8, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frankie
Oscarmayer got you covered there.

Just want to add my 2 cents - teaching an EB a firm 'No' or 'Stop' or in my case, I taught 'uh-uh' is as important as positive reinforcement for good behavior. It's basically a quick command to signal the EB to stop what he is doing and look at you. This command is useful in many applications, for example:
Biting or chewing furniture or any other undersired behavior - this will signal the EB to stop what he's doing and look at you, at which time you can then redirect his play or his energy.
Walking - when walking the dog (especially when still training to walk on a leash), this command can be issued instead of rattling the leash when your dog's attention strays or he starts pulling ahead, etc. This signals the dog to stop, look at you, at which time you can signal him to continue walking when you catch his attention/he falls back to proper walking position. I like this method better than rattling the leash because my bully just doesn't care that his leash is rattling and pulling on a leash to stop that massive EB body is just not a good idea.
etc.
Definitely did!

This was super helpful as well! Everything is because im sooooo new to this! I can definitely tell he's going to be a big boy and his mother was HUGE so i just want to make sure nothing behavioral comes out so we can all be happy lol

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
"and still think he's a puppy and doesn't completely understand wrong from right"...
He doesn't understand and in the absence of his birth MOM, you are there to step in and explain things to him.
Both you and your husband need to address the little one as consistently as possible. Just toughen up a little and all will be good. You can do it!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Just want to say welcome to you and Frankie!

Roccomama78

Oct 13, 2021
Pennsylvania
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
They Sure are one of the most stubborn Breeds but if you are consistent you will see them respond! It amazing... We always make sure our EB enters the house behind us as well so he knows the pecking order across the board. Now when we walk down the stairs, he will go down a few steps and he stops and waits for me to get in front of him and then he will follow me down. Every single time he never varies from this behavior.. They may be stubborn but they are so so smart!! I swear some days English is his first language even though he can't speak it.... He absolutely understands it! :luv:
:luv::luv:
Don't get me wrong he is still a bugger some times but I do believe he is mad at me when he is.. for example when he is left alone during our work day... or when we dont take him with us in the evening if we go out, which is rare... He will eat my shoe or the corner of my carpet... But he also owns it too... They can be hard to discipline for that reason! They own it 100% with the cutest face imaginable....

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Welcome Frankie, you’re sure a cutie pie ❤️❤

best website for advice

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
Frankie is a beautiful pup. Thanks for sharing those pictures with us and welcome to the group.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to you and Frankie! Team gave you great advice … stay consistent both you and hubby on all commands and it will all work out

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Super late but hi! I also have a brindle pup, his name is bear he just turned 1 February 8th! Trust me the year goes by so fast you don't know where all the time went! But the shark phase is no joke!! He's given me so much broken skin I basically had Neosporin on me at all times! Keeping firm and not letting up will help so much in the long run! Try soaking a rag, ringing it out then tie it in a knot and throw it in the freezer overnight, the cold feeling will feel great on their gums and you get about an hour of play out of them! Also mini frozen bagels were our friend! Don't ask me about leash walking though 😅 bear is in professional training for that one I was super unsuccessful hahaha. Also something I wish I knew, socialization isn't meeting everyone and every dog, it's allowing your dog to see many people and many dogs and not have a reaction to them!! Bear met everyone and everything which he's super friendly now but he lunges to meet other dogs and he barks for attention when he sees people and it's a hassle to try and retrain him so please don't do what I did!! Good luck and have fun!! Some photos of bear because I'll take any excuse to show him off lol

Attachments

• 46E79130-BB4F-4706-A79E-B0E5054B8F17.png
    46E79130-BB4F-4706-A79E-B0E5054B8F17.png
    223.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 4AB51E3C-77C4-4A9C-8A94-9995FF8EFCAB.jpeg
    4AB51E3C-77C4-4A9C-8A94-9995FF8EFCAB.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 14A6D2FC-5204-452B-90DC-6BE3F3502C3C.jpeg
    14A6D2FC-5204-452B-90DC-6BE3F3502C3C.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 63
  • BCA973B4-0DDA-41C6-9411-447E6CDD90FD.jpeg
    BCA973B4-0DDA-41C6-9411-447E6CDD90FD.jpeg
    298.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 41364C56-70F7-4116-8A28-CE4205A0124B.jpeg
    41364C56-70F7-4116-8A28-CE4205A0124B.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 26B7A555-F649-4217-8235-D1383E43DD35.jpeg
    26B7A555-F649-4217-8235-D1383E43DD35.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 56

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear reminds me of Castor…RIP little buddy.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.