Looking for Dog Food or Recipes Yet Again

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I would prefer to feed Fezzik kibble. I can supplement with cooked or raw food but I'm not ready to commit to the lifestyle.

He did not do well on any of the Fromm brands and may have issues with chicken or lamb. He did well on the Acana Duck and Pear, but he is an idiot and doesn't chew his food. This means that those large kibbles are sitting in his stomach and when he plays to rough they come back up. He did not have this issue with the Fromm kibble. I have also soaked the Acana overnight and I can't break it by hand the next morning so I wonder how easily it is digested.

So long story short, I am looking for a limited ingredient food with single or limited proteins with smaller kibble bits. No chicken or lamb.

Recipes would also be appreciated. Or suggestions on getting him to chew his food.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My two EBd's do not chew their food, just inhale it. They eat TOTW pacific, and they are doing well on it. The pieces are small and flat. It is grain free. I have never heard them chew any food!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Zignature is small kibble and Monty inhales his food too. Limited ingredients.

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Zignature is small kibble and Monty inhales his food too. Limited ingredients.

I thought the sodium was a little high in that. What are other thoughts?

Maybe beggars can't be choosers.

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
My two EBd's do not chew their food, just inhale it. They eat TOTW pacific, and they are doing well on it. The pieces are small and flat. It is grain free. I have never heard them chew any food!

Could you take a picture with a ruler? Acana is flat but about 1/2 inch across. I don't think they break down easily.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Bass doesn't chew his kibble either. They sell stainless steel balls to put in their food dishes to help slow things down a bit, but I'm not sure how you get him to chew kibble.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I thought the sodium was a little high in that. What are other thoughts?

Maybe beggars can't be choosers.

I posted this in another thread about food too. (Looking at all the different foods can send you cross-eyed and drive you crazy!!!)

"After the talk of sodium I called Zignature and Fromms to try and get a comparison as best I could and to put my mind at rest. I am quite happy now with what I feed as I don't think I have ever heard any complaints on here about the sodium content in Fromms.

AS FED

Zignature Duck .4%
Fromms Duck & Sweet potato .3%

Zignature Salmon & Trout .2%
Fromms Salmon a la Veg .39%

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I posted this in another thread about food too. (Looking at all the different foods can send you cross-eyed and drive you crazy!!!)

"After the talk of sodium I called Zignature and Fromms to try and get a comparison as best I could and to put my mind at rest. I am quite happy now with what I feed as I don't think I have ever heard any complaints on here about the sodium content in Fromms.

AS FED

Zignature Duck .4%
Fromms Duck & Sweet potato .3%

Zignature Salmon & Trout .2%
Fromms Salmon a la Veg .39%

:goodpost:

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
The Honest Kitchen foods are a mush consistency.. An you can get with the meat in, or do the "Kindly" or "Preference" which you add your own protein. Might be something to look up. We use Acana as well as honest kitchen and have the puke issue with kibble showing up if he roughhouses too soon. It happens with any food though but I can see your concern. Once we went to the ocean after feeding (?) and it was too soon and when he puked I was surprised it was still 'kibble'. He has great poops though so the 'process' does happen. At one time with my shih Tzu, I blended the dry kibble in a processor first and made it that way.... Just a thought...

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
The Honest Kitchen foods are a mush consistency.. An you can get with the meat in, or do the "Kindly" or "Preference" which you add your own protein. Might be something to look up. We use Acana as well as honest kitchen and have the puke issue with kibble showing up if he roughhouses too soon. It happens with any food though but I can see your concern. Once we went to the ocean after feeding (?) and it was too soon and when he puked I was surprised it was still 'kibble'. He has great poops though so the 'process' does happen. At one time with my shih Tzu, I blended the dry kibble in a processor first and made it that way.... Just a thought...

My food processor wasn't powerful enough to break up Acana. He didn't used to barf after eating but if he gets too rowdy with the Acana he does. The pet store gave me Grandma Lucy's samples to try.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
My food processor wasn't powerful enough to break up Acana. He didn't used to barf after eating but if he gets too rowdy with the Acana he does. The pet store gave me Grandma Lucy's samples to try.
Aww yes,,, I believe that's a great one too... I forgot they're others... Mabie that'll do the trick... or buy a stronger blender ;)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I would prefer to feed Fezzik kibble. I can supplement with cooked or raw food but I'm not ready to commit to the lifestyle.

He did not do well on any of the Fromm brands and may have issues with chicken or lamb. He did well on the Acana Duck and Pear, but he is an idiot and doesn't chew his food. This means that those large kibbles are sitting in his stomach and when he plays to rough they come back up. He did not have this issue with the Fromm kibble. I have also soaked the Acana overnight and I can't break it by hand the next morning so I wonder how easily it is digested.

So long story short, I am looking for a limited ingredient food with single or limited proteins with smaller kibble bits. No chicken or lamb.

Recipes would also be appreciated. Or suggestions on getting him to chew his food.

Boil a turkey, keep the broth, cut in pieces, get rid of the fat!!!! Add it to Honest Kitchen. Use broth instead of water.

https://pawprime.com/collections/nest/products/paw-prime-maze-fedder-bowl

https://pawprime.com/collections/spring-collection/products/interactive-iq-treat-ball

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Have you tried adding warm water to the kibble and letting it sit awhile before you feed them? I was doing that w/both of mine to keep them from inhaling their food. I also always add something on top of the kibble... yogurt, coconut oil, salmon oil or even frozen veggies so that helps w/the gobbling.

Lots of members have had luck w/the Honest Kitchen because you control the proteins that are added to the food.

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Have you tried adding warm water to the kibble and letting it sit awhile before you feed them? I was doing that w/both of mine to keep them from inhaling their food. I also always add something on top of the kibble... yogurt, coconut oil, salmon oil or even frozen veggies so that helps w/the gobbling.

Lots of members have had luck w/the Honest Kitchen because you control the proteins that are added to the food.

I add water to the kibble and let it sit before he eats it. He only has issues when he zooms around. If he takes a nap or cuddles after he is fine.

Pacha21

Feb 3, 2017
Arizona
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Pacha
Darwins raw food that delivers is the best I have experienced with bulldogs

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.