Other Linus' Marathon Trip to the Vet Part II: Rejuvenate for Creaky Joints

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
As it just so happened, our vet visit for the ear hematoma today coincided with a cold and rainy day in Arizona, which caused Linus' legs to get stiff and creaky.

While we were at the vet, I asked if we might do something to be proactive about Linus' joints and get something to help him along on cold or rainy days.

The vet prescribed us Rejuvenate for Linus, which is a joint supplement given twice a day. Has anyone had any good results with this supplement? Linus has never been on any joint supplement so I'm wondering how dramatic results might be? He's never had any diagnosed orthopedic problems but, as he ages, he gets up slower and he hobbles a little when he wakes from a nap or bed.

Because of his other ear issue, we have to hold off on the second part of the treatment but once that is cleared up, the vet prescribed Rimadyl to help Linus on bad days. We gave that to our old bully, Bentley, but Linus hasn't had it yet and Bentley's use was short term. Has anyone used Rimadyl to treat longer term joint problems due to old age?

Any feedback or advice is much appreciated!

whitebronc

Jan 2, 2013
So Cal
Bulldog(s) Names
Ike
we used Rimadyl short term for our mix, as far as supplements we had our rescue St. Bernard on glucosamine from basicly day one. he had bad hips, but there was nothing they could do for him due to his age and health. I never saw anything dramatic as far as changes went for him, I did notice them helping as he would walk longer, and get up easier. But as far as the supplement, it takes a awhile and the change will not be overnight. at least that is my experience.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Abby used to take Tramadol for pain and Otis was given Rimadyl after his neuter but I've not used it for joint pain. My heart is just breaking for little Linus today :cry:

Hang in there big guy. It gets better!!

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Abby used to take Tramadol for pain and Otis was given Rimadyl after his neuter but I've not used it for joint pain. My heart is just breaking for little Linus today :cry:

Hang in there big guy. It gets better!!

Aw, thanks! How was the Tramadol? I didn't mention it but, since we can't use the Rimadyl because of the ear, we're using Tramadol in the meantime. He seems more comfy already but I find it's not a consistent pain but more on bad days. Sometimes he's fine!

I am anxious to get rolling on the Rejuvenate - it's probably something I should've looked into before this.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Aw, thanks! How was the Tramadol? I didn't mention it but, since we can't use the Rimadyl because of the ear, we're using Tramadol in the meantime. He seems more comfy already but I find it's not a consistent pain but more on bad days. Sometimes he's fine!

I am anxious to get rolling on the Rejuvenate - it's probably something I should've looked into before this.

Tramadol worked great for her. It was one of the few drugs that she could have because of it's light kidney load. The only Rejuvenate I've ever heard of is the stuff that I just ordered to redo the hardwood floors in my house :( There are a lot of great supplements out there for joints. You can't go wrong with most of them. @cowsmom has been giving Sarah something and it's working great but I'm sorry, I don't remember the name of it.

Have you considered alternative therapies for his joints? Besides massage and ACV in his water being helpful, Turmeric has great anti inflammatory properties. There was a great article in the NY Times about it last year. I found and bookmarked it when all of Abby's dysplasias were diagnosed.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/19/the-doctors-remedy-turmeric-for-joint-pain/

For a dog what you want to do is mix 2 tbsp of turmeric and dry mustard into a cup of chicken broth and mix it into his food so he won't taste it (trust me... it tastes awful!) The turmeric is the anti-inflammatory, the mustard acts as a peppering agent to help with the absorption into the bloodstream. A small dog gets 1 tbsp of this mixture a day, a large dog gets 2 tbsp.

If he's not allergic to grasses, there have been some miraculous results with Alfalfa too.

Make sure you add extra vitamin C to his diet too. It will help keep his tissue healthy and help prevent more joint damage.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Mack took Rimadyl for a couple of years (fused spine). I blamed it for his upset tummy, but it turned out he was allergic to many ingredients in his food. When he got on the right food no more rumble tummy.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Tramadol worked great for her. It was one of the few drugs that she could have because of it's light kidney load. The only Rejuvenate I've ever heard of is the stuff that I just ordered to redo the hardwood floors in my house :( There are a lot of great supplements out there for joints. You can't go wrong with most of them. @cowsmom has been giving Sarah something and it's working great but I'm sorry, I don't remember the name of it.

Have you considered alternative therapies for his joints? Besides massage and ACV in his water being helpful, Turmeric has great anti inflammatory properties. There was a great article in the NY Times about it last year. I found and bookmarked it when all of Abby's dysplasias were diagnosed.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/19/the-doctors-remedy-turmeric-for-joint-pain/

For a dog what you want to do is mix 2 tbsp of turmeric and dry mustard into a cup of chicken broth and mix it into his food so he won't taste it (trust me... it tastes awful!) The turmeric is the anti-inflammatory, the mustard acts as a peppering agent to help with the absorption into the bloodstream. A small dog gets 1 tbsp of this mixture a day, a large dog gets 2 tbsp.

If he's not allergic to grasses, there have been some miraculous results with Alfalfa too.

Make sure you add extra vitamin C to his diet too. It will help keep his tissue healthy and help prevent more joint damage.

Thanks for the great ideas!

Honestly, I hadn't thought about it much but, in his older age, I realize I need to be more proactive to keep him moving well for as long as possible.

I know the Rejuvenate includes a good dose of Vitamin C but I will definitely look into other therapies and read the links! I was happy that our vet recommended a supplement as an alternative to long-term pain medication as a means of managing arthritis in old age.

Poor Linus...it's hard to see him getting older. :cry:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.