SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
About 2 weeks ago Sampson started limping on his back left leg. I brought him in to the vet after a couple of days when it was not getting better. The vet checked out his hips and they looked good, she did seem to find in the back leg he was limping on a small amount of arthritis in his knee. She thought it could have been from a prior injury that never healed so she put him on 10 days of rimadyl and strict bed rest. 10 days have gone by and Sampson seemed To be doing good! Now after heā€™s been off the medication for only a day he seems to have a small limp again on the same
Leg! The vet told me next step would be X-rays and she informed me that the dog gets put under (not fully) for X-rays. Iā€™m a nervous wreck ! Has anyone had any prior experiences similar to this ?!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh boy :( and how old is Sampson? Seems when they are still growing, they get little limps at times and then just heal. I had a scare last week on Hank ... left hind leg as well. Kept him quiet though and next day was fine so cant really help you out on this. I hope someone knows some stuff. I know [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] has a massage she does with essential oils so mabie she'll have some insite for ya :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So many oils that helps arthritis and joints but definitely frankincense n myrrh. Do start to add to the meals turmeric n ginger on daily basis. Also, Frankincense prevent the breakdown of the cartilage tissue.

ā€œA study published in Scientific Reports showed that frankincense and myrrh are highly effective in treatment of inflammatory diseases, especially when combined.ā€

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I totally agree with Hankster! There was a period when my Tank (1,5 yo at that moment) started heavily limping on his right front paw, after evening when we had a bunch of kids and he probably overworked his joint. He limped for almost 2 months and as I knew for sure that itā€™s not something big enough for surgery and I didnā€™t want to burn his stomach and liver with anti inflammatory medications, so I just did absolutely nothing and let it run itā€™s course. And it healed in 6-8 weeks.
Imagine yourself injuring your ankle or knee playing sports. (And bullies are clumsy!)You will take anti inflammatory meds for couple of weeks, then stop because they are hard on your body and they donā€™t really help that much. Your joint will be sore for several more weeks, ireespectively of what you will do. So my advice is not to rush with X-rays and meds. I also support Helene in this case and would rather opt for turmeric in food as natural inflammation inhibitor, oils and wait for a month at least. Arthritic changes will happen sooner or later in any bully, their joints are genetically predisposed to it. I mean, that if to be very critical, almost every bullie joint doesnā€™t look 100 percent good for vet. Donā€™t be scared that they think he has arthritis. If itā€™s arthritis you can always diagnose it later in case if limp persists after a month or two. But I believe it should heal on its own. Donā€™t panic, I know it looks awful and your heart is sinking with every his limp, but odds are that itā€™s nothing serious. Just jumped awkward. Remember, leg joints take long to heal.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
So many oils that helps arthritis and joints but definitely frankincense n myrrh. Do start to add to the meals turmeric n ginger on daily basis. Also, Frankincense prevent the breakdown of the cartilage tissue.

ā€œA study published in Scientific Reports showed that frankincense and myrrh are highly effective in treatment of inflammatory diseases, especially when combined.ā€

How much and what kind of turmeric and ginger? Bella had that limo a couple of months ago and still seems stiff at times (especially when she first wakes up in the morning. It's is so hard to keep her from running and jumping.

OP
SampsonsMumma

SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
Thank you everyone for your comments! Sampson is 4 and will be turning 5 this coming November so Iā€™m not quite sure if thatā€™s considered full grown. Itā€™s probbalt been about a month now that heā€™s shown signs of pain and limping. We tried the rimidayl for 10 days to see and probably wouldnā€™t want to go back to medicine just for this limp. He will still run around like himself and it doesnā€™t stop him from wanting to play outside but I do notice he doesnā€™t like to walk as far and getting up and sitting down can be a struggle. He is on Dasuquin with MSM soft chews, once a day. I havenā€™t notice anything working yet so letā€™s hope it kicks I soon.

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Thank you everyone for your comments! Sampson is 4 and will be turning 5 this coming November so Iā€™m not quite sure if thatā€™s considered full grown. Itā€™s probbalt been about a month now that heā€™s shown signs of pain and limping. We tried the rimidayl for 10 days to see and probably wouldnā€™t want to go back to medicine just for this limp. He will still run around like himself and it doesnā€™t stop him from wanting to play outside but I do notice he doesnā€™t like to walk as far and getting up and sitting down can be a struggle. He is on Dasuquin with MSM soft chews, once a day. I havenā€™t notice anything working yet so letā€™s hope it kicks I soon.

how long has he been on the Dasuquin?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I think it is a good idea to keep him on the Desaquin regardless. Monty had a limp a couple of years ago, diagnosed as mild arthritis. It went after a couple of weeks or so. I put him on it and my dachshund and will keep them on it. He hasn't limped again so far.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Well you just said it there...he can play n all but itā€™s the getting up n sitting down. Usually getting up or sitting down is stuck nerves, muscles or inflammation. And yes probably does have a bit of arthritis but they all start at that age.
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] itā€™s regular turmeric you cook with. Donā€™t go spending all these fancy capsules as itā€™s the same thing inside. Even better if you can find it fresh n slice it in the meals. Same as ginger. 1/2 teaspoon per day. Later build it up to 3/4 to 1 teaspoon. Start small as itā€™s new to them.

This might sound odd and some donā€™t believe in this but if you can find a massage therapist for pets, they can help putting these knots back in place. Just like humans. You go for a few sessions n make sure you stand there n ask questions why they are pressing here n there n observe carefully so YOU can do it yourself at home. Massages isnā€™t rocket science if you know where to apply the pressure points.

https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-care/muscular-skeletal-care/Why-you-should-give-your-dog-a-massage

Canine Massage Therapy | Pawsitive Approach Pet Services

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Well you just said it there...he can play n all but itā€™s the getting up n sitting down. Usually getting up or sitting down is stuck nerves, muscles or inflammation. And yes probably does have a bit of arthritis but they all start at that age.
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] itā€™s regular turmeric you cook with. Donā€™t go spending all these fancy capsules as itā€™s the same thing inside. Even better if you can find it fresh n slice it in the meals. Same as ginger. 1/2 teaspoon per day. Later build it up to 3/4 to 1 teaspoon. Start small as itā€™s new to them.

This might sound odd and some donā€™t believe in this but if you can find a massage therapist for pets, they can help putting these knots back in place. Just like humans. You go for a few sessions n make sure you stand there n ask questions why they are pressing here n there n observe carefully so YOU can do it yourself at home. Massages isnā€™t rocket science if you know where to apply the pressure points.

https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-care/muscular-skeletal-care/Why-you-should-give-your-dog-a-massage

Canine Massage Therapy | Pawsitive Approach Pet Services

Hope you put these in "holistic approach" section :) I havent checked there yet but it would be a good idea yeah :) !

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Go figure speaking of limping, Duke meets me outside bottom stairs n jumps! Yes!!! Now heā€™s limping n doesnā€™t want to put his paw down. Think he hit his claw.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Go figure speaking of limping, Duke meets me outside bottom stairs n jumps! Yes!!! Now heā€™s limping n doesnā€™t want to put his paw down. Think he hit his claw.

this is NOT funny but!!!!!!!!!!! When i first started here on this site, i think that no matter what i read, Hank would certainly follow suit and do what ever bad thing it was i just read. I thought i needed to quit reading but then i was already hooked,,,,,,, and of course could find the answers to what ever ailed him. Hope goofball Duke is just fine the stinker!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
this is NOT funny but!!!!!!!!!!! When i first started here on this site, i think that no matter what i read, Hank would certainly follow suit and do what ever bad thing it was i just read. I thought i needed to quit reading but then i was already hooked,,,,,,, and of course could find the answers to what ever ailed him. Hope goofball Duke is just fine the stinker!!

I rubs so oil on him n heā€™s in his crate. He can stay still n thatā€™s going to be a healing issue with this goofball.

f6e7f0c599d07c66139aed43f612d7c8.jpg

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I see you caught and imprisoned one of the criminals that robbed the tripe and turkey truck?! Good for you!:w00t:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I see you caught and imprisoned one of the criminals that robbed the tripe and turkey truck?! Good for you!:w00t:

Lolllll. Youā€™re hilarious girl!!!

Hopefully heā€™s back to normal tomorrow. Hmmmm Whatā€™s normal with Duke!!

Most Reactions