Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you everyone. I've been feeling so crappy and crying off and on that I didn't have the energy to post an update. I've calmed down a bit so here it goes...

They did an ultrasound and the doctor told me that everything he's seeing points to chronic kidney disease, but she also has a bladder infection 'that leading to the kidneys' (does that sound right, i'm pretty sure that's what he said). They'd like to keep her for 3-5 days on fluids, but the part I'm not understanding is if they keep her on fluids for that long and antibiotics will she be better or will it just get her through till something like dialysis. If dialysis is the end option, we really would not want to put her through that for the rest of her life. Nevermind the amount it would cost...we just can't do it. The doctor is kind of irritating me b/c I think he's trying to be nice and break things to me gently, but I really need the blunt facts in order to make a decision. Does a dog really ever come back from having kidney problems? They're going to check her levels tomorrow and see where she's at and then we're going to go in and talk with internal medicine to see what our options are. I just don't want her suffering.
Ashley, what an awful day to endure, I hope you can rest tonight and not lay
awake worrying, you need your strength & energy.

When you've had time to process all this, I'd have a very blunt talk w/Vet and
say exactly what you just told us, that if there is no doubt about her dx, then
you don't want to put her thru dialysis as you don't believe it is 'quality of life'.

I sure hope they are wrong and I will pray this night long for proper dx and a
different dx. Try to be hopeful, as David said, could be obstruction or something
else. Ashley...all of EBN is with you and sending love, strength & hope.

Cami & I send the same, let us know how we can help you. GOD be with you & Lilly.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Praying for you and lily. Don't give up hope yet. It will be a tough 3-5 days while you wait but try to keep positive.. Maybe it will clear up and she'll be ok.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!! Everyone's prayers and thoughts are so much appreciated!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I'm not sure I am about to give you the answer that you need but I can answer your questions.

They did an ultrasound and the doctor told me that everything he's seeing points to chronic kidney disease, but she also has a bladder infection 'that leading to the kidneys' (does that sound right, i'm pretty sure that's what he said).

An undiagnosed UTI can lead to kidney damage. If bacteria finds its way up the urinary tract and settle in the kidneys it will do damage. That damage is irreparable.

They'd like to keep her for 3-5 days on fluids, but the part I'm not understanding is if they keep her on fluids for that long and antibiotics will she be better or will it just get her through till something like dialysis. If dialysis is the end option, we really would not want to put her through that for the rest of her life. Nevermind the amount it would cost...we just can't do it.

They kept her for 3 days to do what they call an IV flush. This is usually done over the course of 3 days and is different than subQ because the fluid is pumped directly into the blood stream. It skips the hydration phase of regular fluid therapy and goes straight to thinning the blood so that the body can filter it more easily. If successful it will bring her BUN and CREA down significantly. It won't cure her, but it will give her more time. It will give YOU more time to come up with a plan.

There is no dialysis dogs in the way you are thinking. What they do is pump fluids into the body. That subcutaneous fluid (or subQ) is absorbed into the kidneys and other organs and eventually into the blood. This serves several purposes. First it keeps the body hydrated and secondly, it helps the body flush out the waste products so the kidneys don't have to work so hard to do their job. In human dialysis blood is filtered out of the body. cleaned and pumped back in. The fluids your doctor (and eventually you) is giving her are lactated ringers, it does nothing to "clean" the blood. But it will add significant time to not only the length of her life but the quality of it. The fluids themselves are cheap. You can buy a bag from the doctor, he will charge you around 25 bucks for one. Or you can get a script to take to Walgreens or Costco. There you can get an entire case for 28.00. You can buy the tubing (called admin kits) and needles online. Our internist wanted to charge me 50 cents per needle and 10 bucks per kit. You can buy the same things online for 2 bucks a tube and 8 bucks for a box of 500 needles. If you have a good relationship with your vet they might even match those prices. Abbys doctors did. I got a case of ringers, 12 kits and a box of 19 gauge needles for under 30 bucks. At 30 pounds, Abby went through 2 cases a month.

The doctor is kind of irritating me b/c I think he's trying to be nice and break things to me gently, but I really need the blunt facts in order to make a decision.

Are you sure that's what you want?

Does a dog really ever come back from having kidney problems?

That answer depends on what caused the problem in the first place. If some sort of toxin like antifreeze was ingested then yes, a full recovery is possible. Sudden onset CKD is curable if caught in time. But if it was caused by a genetic disorder or over time the kidneys just grew weak or were otherwise damaged then no, there is no recovery. Kidney cells (called nephrons) are one of the few cells that they body cannot make more of. Once they are dead or damaged they stay that way. The fact that your doctor used the term "chronic kidney disease" leads me to believe this wasn't sudden onset. If that is the case all you can do is love her, keep her comfortable and know the signs to look for that signal the end. Some dogs lose their fight with CKD sooner than others but it's not all that rare for the dog to live 2 or 3 years with the disease. I was told that Abby wouldn't last the month but as you know, Abby was with us for 13 beautiful months.

SubQ fluids are the single best thing that you can do for her next to diet. They will tell you at first to do it every couple of days but trust me, demand every day. The less the kidneys have to work the longer they will last. The key to successfully stalling the progression is daily subQ fluids. You can't stop kidney disease. But you can slow it down if you act quickly.

They're going to check her levels tomorrow and see where she's at and then we're going to go in and talk with internal medicine to see what our options are. I just don't want her suffering.

The internal medicine doctor can't give you much more information than what you already have. Maybe they can give you a cause but probably not. Mostly they guess. You will get conflicting information. Some doctors will tell you low protein. Others will tell you high protein. They will try to sell you expensive prescription foods. If you decide to buy it, ask for something other than Science Diet k/d. It looks like styrofoam and smells like soap. Royal Canine makes a renal LP that actually looks and smells like dog food. It also has a higher moisture content and that is something that you definitely need to pay attention to.

I'm going to tell you that it isn't the amount of protein in the diet that matters. You need her on a LOW PHOSPHOROUS DIET. Phosphorous is that causes further damage, not protein. We can get to all that later.

For tonight sleep. Being upset is not going to change the diagnosis at all. Sleep tonight then tomorrow when you are there get copies of all her test results. Get in that habit because you will need those records on hand to adjust her diet to help her live longer.

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ashley I'm so very sorry to hear this... I hope that Lilly gets better, sending hugs & prayers your way!!! Keep us posted... :hug:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry for Lily and you. I don't know what to say except that I will be thinking of Lily and saying prayers for her. :hug:

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
hugsssssssssssssss....you all are in my thoughts and prayers!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I will continue to pray for you and lily.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
We will keep you and Lily in our thoughts and sending prayers to you both!

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Looks like twice gave you some great information and potential topics to discuss with the vet. It is nice in these stressful situations to have people that you trust giving you insight. Loki sean and I will keep praying and sending thoughts of well wishes your way!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Will keep praying for good news. :pray:

Pls don't forget that we're always here.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm so sorry for you and Lily. Sending positive and healing thoughts!

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] Thank you for all of that information. I will definitely ask about the UTI, because at this point none of us have an idea of what caused it. He used the term chronic kidney disease but her symptoms just do not point to that. It was very sudden. There wasn't any significant increase in thirst or urination (the only thing I can think of is about a month ago she started what I thought was a new quirk where I would get up to take her out for her a.m. pee and I would open the gate, she'd walk out, walk back in and take a drink of water, then be ready to go...that's the only increase in thirst), her bladder control was good (at the most 4 times a day, which i didn't think was alot) no loss of appetite up until this past weekend when she was vomiting intermittently, and she wasn't lethargic until this past weekend. All of this to me points to ARF. I just don't get it. If it is ARF can't this be fixed with flushing the system and then diet. Not that I can afford to leave her in there for 3 days. It's coming to about $1000 a day. I hate that money is a factor at all, but I really cannot afford a $3-$5k bill. Doesn't that sound oddly high? She is at Tufts, which I've heard is ridiculously pricey (if anyone in the New England area knows a cheaper place please let me know, I'm at about $1500 now) I'm really thinking that what it comes down to is either letting her go or taking her home, managing the best we can and hope for the best. Really if her kidneys are so far gone and there's no managing it where she won't be comfortable anyways I can let her go, not easily and it will be hard and sad, but I can't allow her to be uncomfortable. In regards to Subq fluids...does that involve several times a day? We're at work 8 hours a day, and I only have so much time I can take off. I hate that all of this is a factor, I absolutely feel like a horrible monster. This is the first time I'm experiencing a loss of a pet/major incident as an adult. All my other experiences were with my parents worrying about the financial aspect and time. I seriously don't think I will be getting any other animals after this. This is too heartbreaking.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online