Lawn Service - Safe ??

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hello all! I have hired a lawn service, Lawn Doctor, who I used before Joey arrived (6 years ago). I stopped it because I was not sure safe for pups.

Well at my new house I want to re-start the lawn service. Quarterly, just weed control and fertilizer. I can tell them not to do inside the picket fence, where Joey has free run, BUT I have been told that once dry it's no problem and that area is in need of some service :)

Has anyone had any experience? Advice?

Thanks in advance!

Sue and Joey

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Ask them if they do pet friendly fertilizer. Most companies are now doing it. Ask the % of the fertilizer it’s pet friendly. Some will be 100% or 75 etc.. ask questions Missy :)

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Ask them if they do pet friendly fertilizer. Most companies are now doing it. Ask the % of the fertilizer it’s pet friendly. Some will be 100% or 75 etc.. ask questions Missy :)

Ohhhhh my friend Helene......I went up and down with questions and STILL my bully MAMA heart kicked in and just HAD to ask my peeps here :) They do tell me that it's "organic" pet friendly fertilizer. I will ask about the percentage though! YOU'RE awesome, thank you!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed... most offer pet safe products now but if not once dry they are ok to go out. I still wipe paws , chin and belly anyway when they come in [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Ohhhhh my friend Helene......I went up and down with questions and STILL my bully MAMA heart kicked in and just HAD to ask my peeps here :) They do tell me that it's "organic" pet friendly fertilizer. I will ask about the percentage though! YOU'RE awesome, thank you!

Even organic fertilizers can create its own chemical reaction when mixed. So their “organic” wording means zero.

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Thank goodness this is not SMELL-A-VISION LOL! Thanks for the tip but sadly no horses :)

I have 2 horses. A quarter horse and a Draft. My draft leaves huge piles lol! I has plenty of horse poo fertilizer which I need to feed to my roses soon. I know dogs love rolling in it and eating it so I'd say it's safe for lawns too :0)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I've used Lawn Doctor for years... I request pet friendly fertilizers, but I think the biggest thing is to make sure to keep them OFF the lawn after it's been serviced for a couple of hours if possible.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Agreed... most offer pet safe products now but if not once dry they are ok to go out. I still wipe paws , chin and belly anyway when they come in [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! I will absolutely do this too, did not think about the chin.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I've used Lawn Doctor for years... I request pet friendly fertilizers, but I think the biggest thing is to make sure to keep them OFF the lawn after it's been serviced for a couple of hours if possible.

Ohhhhhhhh great to know!!!! So happy to hear that you used exactly the same firm. Thank you very much :)

KaynBrefen

Jun 1, 2023
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Jonatan
Hey there! It's great that you're considering re-starting the lawn service for your new house.

YanJagger

Jun 5, 2023
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Megatron
Getting advice from others who have had experience with lawn services can be really helpful. While I can't speak from personal experience, I've heard that once the lawn treatment is dry, it's usually safe for pets to roam around. However, it's always a good idea to double-check with the lawn service provider just to be sure. Also, if you're looking for turf supplies, there are convenient options for turf supplies that you can explore. I hope you find a reliable lawn service that meets your needs and keeps your lawn looking lush and healthy.

Last edited:

Jewenyann

Oct 10, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jacky
As you mentioned, specifying that the lawn service avoids treating the area inside the picket fence is a good idea. Once the lawn treatment has dried, it's generally safe for pets. However, if you have any concerns, you can keep Joey off the treated areas for a little while to be extra cautious.
Additionally, you might want to explore the pros and cons of a creeping thyme lawn as an alternative ground cover. Creeping thyme not only adds beauty to your garden but can also be a dog-friendly choice.
I hope this advice helps, and your lawn service goes smoothly while keeping Joey happy and healthy!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.