Latest on DCM from tufts

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Sounds like the bottom line is still to stay away from peas legumes and other ā€œpulsesā€ in the ingredient list.

I have been looking through foods a lot lately. MANY at the specialty store near me have some type of pulses in the top 10 ingredients. Some as the first or third!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I am not anti-grain free but I also don't like the addition of so much peas and legumes, etc. which is why I feed the Open Farm with Ancient Grains to my 2 kibble fed dogs. Neither have issues with the grains and they both are doing well on it. And I stay away from foods with potatoes/sweet potatoes in them because they can cause yeast.

OP
benny

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
I am not anti-grain free but I also don't like the addition of so much peas and legumes, etc. which is why I feed the Open Farm with Ancient Grains to my 2 kibble fed dogs. Neither have issues with the grains and they both are doing well on it. And I stay away from foods with potatoes/sweet potatoes in them because they can cause yeast.
Potatoes are one of the ingredients that seem to cause instant tear stains for Millie

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
i also donā€™t like all the legumes or potatoes in the foods, but my dogs are severely allergic to grains, and some grains can cause health issues and inflammation and gut issues in dogs.

All carbs feed the yeast no matter if itā€™s from grains, legumes or potatoes.

But because of all these legumes, potatoes and grains are over used and actually become ā€œfillersā€, I want to avoid ALL these, if I absolutely have to try kibble for my dogs, itā€™s Natures Logic cause no legumes or grains or synthetic vitamins. But thatā€™s why I feed raw to avoid all carbs and inflammation cause he is picky and wonā€™t eat kibble or canned.

All those carbs can cause leaky gut too in dogs, and also arsenic and a couple other chemicals are found in Rice.

Iā€™m not anti kibble at all, this is just my preference and my dogs allergies and picky eater.

There is pros and cons to everything(grain free and foods with grain). Every dog is different for what they do best on.

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Chloe (Bella RIP 2019)
I do my best to avoid peas as any time I gave food to Sophie that had peas in it she would get sick. Like actually throwing up. That was enough for me to say "no thank you" to that ingredient. It's difficult, however. They are in a LOT of grain-free kibble. Even in some of the Limited Ingredient Honest Kitchen foods they have beans/legumes.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I do my best to avoid peas as any time I gave food to Sophie that had peas in it she would get sick. Like actually throwing up. That was enough for me to say "no thank you" to that ingredient. It's difficult, however. They are in a LOT of grain-free kibble. Even in some of the Limited Ingredient Honest Kitchen foods they have beans/legumes.

I have noticed they are even in some grain inclusive kibbles too.
Those ingredients are so hard to avoid.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.