OP
Spanky

Spanky

May 30, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Lambeau has some SFA… vitamin d helped, but once we starated Cytopoint shots, I saw a difference. It is still visible but not very much
SFA? Think we are doing the shots now

ppardoski

Sep 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Beauty
I have the same issue with my bully. Took him to vet did scrapping for mange but not that. Vet said seasonal alopecia. Sure enough for the last 3 years every spring his flank hair will fall out and than grow back in May. Hair is darker where it falls out.
I agree with seasonal flank alopecia. My white bully had pink bald spots, and neighbor's tan bully had dark spots when seasonal flank alopecia kicked in. No antibiotics, steroids cured this. Holistic approach is 3 mg. Melatonin capsules sprinkled over her food in the morning and hair regrowth within 60 days. I kept her on this maintenance regime her entire life and never had recurrent seasonal alopecia. Melatonin is used to treat human alopecia and clinical research results are positive.
Turkey & Salmon are the highest quality proteins, least sensitive to allergies. My bully was allergic to chicken, beef, duck (too oily) and whitefish food sources. Was on ground turkey/veggies her whole life and no flatulence or other digestive issues. Was blood in her stool with all others except salmon, and the fishy smell remained on her breath that's why I opted for Turkey. Salmon treats are good bc of Omega oils good for skin also. I studies pet nutrition, so go organic, grain-free, dairy-free and no chicken by-products or chicken period. Good luck!

gjelliottphd

May 25, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
If the skin looks black where the hair loss is, it is seasonal aloepecia. The hair usually eventually grows back. Sometimes it stays dark and thinner. Some give melatonin. It is a pretty normal thing for a bullie. No meds will help.
I have to agree with the seasonal comings and goings of hair loss though there was no real pattern to when it occurred. She'd lose some hair in patches...never bothered her...it'd grow back...she lose it again, it'd grow back again. But when we moved to Vegas several years ago it stopped.

OP
Spanky

Spanky

May 30, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hey! Yeah, my dog actually went through a similar hair issue. The vet diagnosed it as allergies too, and we started treatment for it. Thankfully, it worked like a charm, and his hair grew back within a few months. It can be different for every dog, though, so I'd say be patient and keep following your vet's advice. With some time and the right treatment, Winston's hair will hopefully grow back too. Hang in there, and I hope he gets his luscious coat back soon!
My guy still has large swatches of bald spots including all across his back where he got staph infection. We are given him melatonin but when he shed he lost lots of hair nothing seems to work 😕

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Get some NuStock and apply it to bald spots. Smells, but will grow hair. @Spanky Squeeze the tube around to mix it as best as you can.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
My guy still has large swatches of bald spots including all across his back where he got staph infection. We are given him melatonin but when he shed he lost lots of hair nothing seems to work 😕

Have you tried switching his food?
What are you feeding?

In my experience, the food was the issue and a switch to raw diet has greatly improved my dogs fur loss, allergies, yeast issues, and many other health issues. He has alopecia from allergies and all the fur loss, all the fur grew back and you wouldnt know he has these issues.

I also give him bovine colostrum powder for environmental allergies and omega 3, probiotic also for digestion he gets.