oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Wednesday's episode was rather short and appeared to be a typical focal seizure. Today's was much longer lasting(4 minutes+) and varied in intensity. Head was moving up and down as opposed to the side to side motions I see most often. She was wide awake and completely aware the whole time. This, combined with several episodes of fly-biting over the past few months, has me worried. We will get her in to see her Vet soon. Not a lot can be done, based on our past experiences. I'm not a big proponent of oils and herbs and such(CBD and Turmeric helped Pippy for sure) but I'll give most anything a try for my little angel.
I'll get a video next time she has one.
Worried worried worried.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Sorry to hear this - Castor sends a big bully hug to Lala.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
NO.... not Lala!!! Sending tons of prayers and positive thoughts.... hugs hugs hugs hugs....

Please keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Oh I am so sorry, how terribly worrying !!! I don't have any advice BUT I can send our prayers and some BULLY HUGS your way. Please update when possible.

Sue and Joey

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Geez horrible news.....You know she’s your little trooper n she’ll get through this. But Chip, definitely get her on CBD n if it was my dogs I would also use frankincense morning n before bed. Massage a few drops on the crown of the head. Use straight no need to diluted this oil. Just a thought :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Geez horrible news.....You know she’s your little trooper n she’ll get through this. But Chip, definitely get her on CBD n if it was my dogs I would also use frankincense morning n before bed. Massage a few drops on the crown of the head. Use straight no need to diluted this oil. Just a thought :)

So sorry to hear. I loved seeing Lala run the bulldog races. Agree that it's worth a try to put her on CBD and frankincense. Also a ketogenic diet which is about 87% fat, 17% protein, and the rest as vegetables. Some of the commercial frozen raws are considered ketogenic friendly eg. Answers Detailed or you can make your own . You don't want to give dog kibble since it has too much carbohydrates. [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] is always mentioning ketogenic diet, maybe she has more info.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
So sorry to hear. I loved seeing Lala run the bulldog races. Agree that it's worth a try to put her on CBD and frankincense. Also a ketogenic diet which is about 87% fat, 17% protein, and the rest as vegetables. Some of the commercial frozen raws are considered ketogenic friendly eg. Answers Detailed or you can make your own . You don't want to give dog kibble since it has too much carbohydrates. [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] is always mentioning ketogenic diet, maybe she has more info.

Any dogs with seizure, epilepsy or even tremors I personally would put them on a Keto diet. High fats is a “must” for any brain issues. That being said, I recall some owners sure gave me that look like, wth are you talking about as some believe dogs don’t go into the ketosis process. I do know of some owners that went the keto way for their dogs and seizure stopped. Everyone is entitled to their opinions n I respect that. I personally would make the meals myself to control the ratios n definitely would start the MCT oil and add other good fats.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION], the link below is a study that was published in the British Journal. It does mention they use Purina kibbles but I would use raw instead so I could control the protein, up the fat n especially lower all carbs. At the end of the day it’s up to you and Sandy what you guys want to do. It’s a suggestion. :)

https://www.americanveterinarian.co...ed-to-seizure-reduction-in-dogs-with-epilepsy

https://www.diamondbackdrugs.com/un...nship-between-dog-seizures-dog-food-and-diet/

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Any dogs with seizure, epilepsy or even tremors I personally would put them on a Keto diet. High fats is a “must” for any brain issues. That being said, I recall some owners sure gave me that look like, wth are you talking about as some believe dogs don’t go into the ketosis process. I do know of some owners that went the keto way for their dogs and seizure stopped. Everyone is entitled to their opinions n I respect that. I personally would make the meals myself to control the ratios n definitely would start the MCT oil and add other good fats.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION], the link below is a study that was published in the British Journal. It does mention they use Purina kibbles but I would use raw instead so I could control the protein, up the fat n especially lower all carbs. At the end of the day it’s up to you and Sandy what you guys want to do. It’s a suggestion. :)

https://www.americanveterinarian.co...ed-to-seizure-reduction-in-dogs-with-epilepsy

https://www.diamondbackdrugs.com/un...nship-between-dog-seizures-dog-food-and-diet/

I agree, I wouldn't get the Purina NeuroCare, which you can get from Chewy if you submit a vet prescription https://www.chewy.com/purina-pro-plan-veterinary-diets/dp/140159 It has the MCT oil ( which you can buy yourself from Costco ), but the other ingredients are the usual allergenic ones as follows :

Chicken, chicken meal, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, ground yellow corn, ground wheat, vegetable oil (source of medium-chain triglycerides), corn germ meal, barley, natural flavor, fish oil, dried egg product, L-Arginine, wheat bran, fish meal, mono and dicalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, salt, calcium carbonate, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, Vitamin E, choline chloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (Vitamin C), zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, niacin (Vitamin B-3), Vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), manganese sulfate, soybean oil, calcium pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Vitamin B-12 supplement, riboflavin supplement (Vitamin B-2), copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), garlic oil, folic acid (Vitamin B-9), menadione sodium bisulfite complex Vitamin K), biotin (Vitamin B-7), calcium iodate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, sodium selenite. D263518

I would go with the usual prescription meds if the natural route doesn't work.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Oh no. I'm really sorry Lala is going through this. Our American Bulldog had grand mal seizures in the latter part of her life and it was one of the most distressing things I have witnessed. They started out slowly and stayed that way with the help of drugs for about two years and then quite suddenly, nothing helped. This was about 15 years ago and the only options available were drugs. If I were in the same boat today, I think I would try anything to try and keep those seizures at bay. Hugs to you all and I know how worried you must be.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh NO... I'm SO sorry, please keep us posted!!! Sending prayers...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] Sorry to hear that LaLa has started to have seizures. I have had 2 dogs who had seizures. The most recent was Katie,my last rescue. As [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]
mentioned, I was using frankensense when she started, and it seemed to stop the seizure. That was helping for awhile. Usually Phenobarbitol is the next step, when nothing else works. Sending love to Lala and hoping that she does not progress to grand mal. :pray:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] Sorry to hear that LaLa has started to have seizures. I have had 2 dogs who had seizures. The most recent was Katie,my last rescue. As [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]
mentioned, I was using frankensense when she started, and it seemed to stop the seizure. That was helping for awhile. Usually Phenobarbitol is the next step, when nothing else works. Sending love to Lala and hoping that she does not progress to grand mal. :pray:

Why it stopped? And how or where did you administer it? I’m asking cause more information for myself. :) frankincense is an oil thand would need to be applied till the rest of the pet’s life....

📰 Latest posts

Members online