Joint Supplements/Pain Remedies

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
We tried Carpovet and Gabapentin. Just recently we started using CBD oil and we see a huge difference
Where do you get the CBD Oil & the name? My dog has been on Carprofen and Gabapentin for at least 5 years, so long I can't remember. I started him on PetHonesty Hemp Mobility chews 3 weeks ago and noticed he's more active and alert. If I can get him off the two drugs, I'd be delighted. And if the CBD oil is more effective than the Hemp chews, I'd be willing to try it. Thanks!

blabaird

Jun 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
We have used Equine MSM sprinkled over food and found great success with that and only takes a small amount depending on weight/size of your dog and a lot more economical than Cosequin.

Looking for recommendations for a liquid joint/hip supplement and remedy for pain management.

My 8 year old girl is really struggling with walking and getting up. Her x-ray showed how bad her hips really are with arthritis...causing her to have basically no hip sockets. We plowed through the carprofen the vet prescribed without any change or relief.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Where do you get the CBD Oil & the name? My dog has been on Carprofen and Gabapentin for at least 5 years, so long I can't remember. I started him on PetHonesty Hemp Mobility chews 3 weeks ago and noticed he's more active and alert. If I can get him off the two drugs, I'd be delighted. And if the CBD oil is more effective than the Hemp chews, I'd be willing to try it. Thanks!
@oscarmayer has a good one he can recommend

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
We tried CBD oil on one of our rescues(now a member of our family) and saw little improvement. But when we started giving him Super Snouts Hip & Joint he made a remarkable turn around. What you are currently giving may be a similar product but there's only one way to find out if it's better...trial and error.
Firstly, I would try taking him off of one of the scrip meds (your choice, but I'd likely stop the Carprofen first) and see what happens. If he responds adversely, then start that med back up for a few days and then take him off the other. If adverse again start it back up and try the Super Snouts.
If he doesn't respond adversely to taking him off the first med then after a few weeks take him off o the other.
Observe and take notes...this is not rocket science, but you do have to pay attention and change course when/if necessary so as not to put him through unnecessary pain.
Lots of trial and error here and nobody better qualified to do this than you!
If you find that the PetHonesty chews are better than the Super Snouts chews, please let us know.
BTW, if you decide to try the SSnouts don't bother with the Peanut Butter type...stick with the chews.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
We tried CBD oil on one of our rescues(now a member of our family) and saw little improvement. But when we started giving him Super Snouts Hip & Joint he made a remarkable turn around. What you are currently giving may be a similar product but there's only one way to find out if it's better...trial and error.
Firstly, I would try taking him off of one of the scrip meds (your choice, but I'd likely stop the Carprofen first) and see what happens. If he responds adversely, then start that med back up for a few days and then take him off the other. If adverse again start it back up and try the Super Snouts.
If he doesn't respond adversely to taking him off the first med then after a few weeks take him off o the other.
Observe and take notes...this is not rocket science, but you do have to pay attention and change course when/if necessary so as not to put him through unnecessary pain.
Lots of trial and error here and nobody better qualified to do this than you!
If you find that the PetHonesty chews are better than the Super Snouts chews, please let us know.
BTW, if you decide to try the SSnouts don't bother with the Peanut Butter type...stick with the chews.
I'm going to try this. I had been debating about doing this for several months. And the cost...the vet won't renew the prescriptions unless he gets blood tests every 6 months.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Green Lippid Muscle is really good for inflammation and joint pain. I bought powder off Amazon and you only need a small amount. It’s called Azestfor Anti-inflammatory green lippid muscle for dogs. Also if you have Facebook a group called Holistic Help for Pets can recommend a lot of holistic options and supplements. They may recommend raw diet, epsom sale/baking soda soaks which really help and 3 day rutabaga cleanse. If you cannot find fresh rutabaga you can get canned rutabaga off Amazon. These are some things they also recommend: Ester C 1000mg. Slippery Elm made into gravy ordered from Starwest Botanicals in 1lb powder. Kefir. You would have to read other posts on that FB group for more ideas. Best of luck and hope your baby feels better soon. My bulldog has luxating patella and bad knees 😪
If what JGs has recommended doesn't work well enough, you can also try Super Snouts Hemp and Joint. It worked wonders for our boy, Dozer. He was so lame we thought we would have to put him down. He has neurological issues exacerbated by inflammation. Five chews in and he was like a new dog. He gets it every day now and the difference is remarkable.
https://supersnoutshempcompany.com/...oint-60ct-broad-spectrum-mobility-hemp-chews/
A lot of people have no clue how fantastic lipped green mussel works. I use it for myself. Great stuff‼️

sysakyk

Dec 5, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joe
Thanks for the advice in this thread. My dog is in pain after surgery, too, and I’m looking for a solution to help it recover faster and feel less excruciating pain.
I think I will start with CBD I just got from one of the brands described in Orlandomagazine and then see how it goes. It should be alright because this stuff is quite potent. I like that I can treat my dog with some natural medicine and not those artificial painkillers. I think she will love CBD.
I’ve never tried to give it to an animal before, but it can help people indeed. That’s why I want to try it with my little friend too.

Last edited:

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Chloe (Bella RIP 2019)
We use

and

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
For any joint issue, the best is Green Lipped Mussel(there is lots of freeze dried powder like Thrive brand and others), and there is K9 natural brand Hip and Joint liquid which has the green lipped mussels oil in it.

1 of my dogs has severe arthritis in her joints and green lipped mussels, no more joint issues or limping. I also give her some CBD oil when the arthritis is very bad in the cold weather, but the green lipped mussels is what made the huge difference!

Members online

No members online now.