Jewel's Trip To The ER

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
On Friday 1/21/22, Jewel just did not eat. When she laid down, she was in the the sitting position (keeping her head above the level of her body). She looked at me all the time as I was watching the TV and her was a look of "Daddy, I don't feel good or I have to go potty." I took her outside and she did her business. Her stool was the consistency of pudding. We do give her Prilosec daily for her reflux and thought her actions were consistent with a gastroenteritis. She was mildly lethargic at this time and just not Jewel. We took her to the pet ER as her Primary Vet was unavailable. They were not accepting new patients unless critical. The did check her vital signs and based on her presentation said she did not fit the ER profile.

When we got home, she still did not eat or drink water and she just did not look right. Well off to Annapolis to another ER where she was admitted. Her CBC had an elevated white count to indicate an infection. She was admitted for two nights and given IV fluids and antibiotics. On Sunday, they were discharging her and we picked her up. Her face looked awkward. We brought her home and she rested and she ate only about a 1/4 cup of chicken. She again laid down but while sitting up. I put a pillow under her to keep her head elevated and she slept. She still wasn't right and her left cheek was a little more swollen. We went back to the ER last evening and she was admitted. Jewel's cheek was puffed out...one would think an abscess. This time they again gave her fluids and antibiotics as well as pain meds. We called to check on her and she was resting comfortably. Like her first trip, the ER would call if there was a change in her condition. A surgical consult would be done on Monday morning (today).

We received a call from Jewel's surgeon who said there was an inner ear infection and surgery needed to be performed. We authorized a CT Scan to pinpoint the infection and the surgery. She is scheduled for 0900 hours tomorrow for scan and then surgery.

As if 2021 was not bad enough...2022 is not off to a good start.

Please keep Jewel in thoughts and prayers. Thanx.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You all have had it rough. I am praying for Jewel and your total family. Sending the most powerful prayers that I can muster. You all are part of the family! :heart:

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
You all have had it rough. I am praying for Jewel and your total family. Sending the most powerful prayers that I can muster. You all are part of the family! :heart:
Thank you Lynn. We hope you are mending well...how's your left wing doing?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Thanks for asking! It is still quite sore,but it works. but I refused therapy. I figured that I live alone, and would get therapy here! The "covid brain" is what needs therapy. It breaks my heart of all you have been through.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thinking of Jewel and praying that she will soon feel better.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
On Friday 1/21/22, Jewel just did not eat. When she laid down, she was in the the sitting position (keeping her head above the level of her body). She looked at me all the time as I was watching the TV and her was a look of "Daddy, I don't feel good or I have to go potty." I took her outside and she did her business. Her stool was the consistency of pudding. We do give her Prilosec daily for her reflux and thought her actions were consistent with a gastroenteritis. She was mildly lethargic at this time and just not Jewel. We took her to the pet ER as her Primary Vet was unavailable. They were not accepting new patients unless critical. The did check her vital signs and based on her presentation said she did not fit the ER profile.

When we got home, she still did not eat or drink water and she just did not look right. Well off to Annapolis to another ER where she was admitted. Her CBC had an elevated white count to indicate an infection. She was admitted for two nights and given IV fluids and antibiotics. On Sunday, they were discharging her and we picked her up. Her face looked awkward. We brought her home and she rested and she ate only about a 1/4 cup of chicken. She again laid down but while sitting up. I put a pillow under her to keep her head elevated and she slept. She still wasn't right and her left cheek was a little more swollen. We went back to the ER last evening and she was admitted. Jewel's cheek was puffed out...one would think an abscess. This time they again gave her fluids and antibiotics as well as pain meds. We called to check on her and she was resting comfortably. Like her first trip, the ER would call if there was a change in her condition. A surgical consult would be done on Monday morning (today).

We received a call from Jewel's surgeon who said there was an inner ear infection and surgery needed to be performed. We authorized a CT Scan to pinpoint the infection and the surgery. She is scheduled for 0900 hours tomorrow for scan and then surgery.

As if 2021 was not bad enough...2022 is not off to a good start.

Please keep Jewel in thoughts and prayers. Thanx.
Ohhhhhhh I am so sorry to be reading this, poor Jewel!! I will be praying very hard and often.

Sue and Joey

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for asking! It is still quite sore,but it works. but I refused therapy. I figured that I live alone, and would get therapy here! The "covid brain" is what needs therapy. It breaks my heart of all you have been through.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker for covid brain.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Thinking of you and Jewel!!! 2022 has not been good to me either. Cheers to better days!

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
We are keeping you and Jewel in our prayers and hopes that she is well very soon.

Bulldog Nurse1.jpg

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Best of luck to Jewel, getting through the surgery and making a quick recovery.
Best of luck to you that 2022 only gets better from here.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OMG... I'm so very sorry to read this, I can't even... :(

I'm pretty much over this year as well... we can't seem to catch our breath.

Praying that Jewel has a smooth recovery, and praying for you as well my friend...

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thinking of you and Jewel!!! 2022 has not been good to me either. Cheers to better days!
Thank you. You are in my prayers as well. Hope 2022 gives us a break.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.