Is my dog eating a good amount?

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Did you ever try toppings on the kibble? Like couple of spoons of yogurt or peanut butter? Or what if you cook some inexpensive meat like chicken with broth and put some broth and chicken meat on top?

OP
R

Rober

Feb 16, 2018
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
Iā€™ll try and be more strict with him and stop hand feeding I just worry when he donā€™t eat

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Of course you go with what you can afford as I would too if I couldnā€™t afford Raw or Acana. You do with what you have. Donā€™t break whatā€™s not broken as they say. I see it more for down the road type. But thatā€™s me.
[MENTION=18058]Rober[/MENTION] if itā€™s a kibble I would go with one protein at a time so you can keep an eye on allergies. Acana does one protein per bag. Once the bag is done, try another protein. Etc. other companies do make a protein per bag but I never tried them so I donā€™t know them. I stuck to acana n orijen. They just have quality kibbles. Once youā€™ve done most all protein at least it gives you heads up what your pup that has you wrapped around your finger like mention can eat n cannot eat.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Iā€™ll try and be more strict with him and stop hand feeding I just worry when he donā€™t eat

If he weighs 40lbs at 7 months old I sure wouldnā€™t be worry. Crap at 40lbs you must have a bigger hand than the other. :p
It will take a couple days and youā€™ll see heā€™ll go feed himself.

haile2066

Nov 1, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus and Brando
We feed our boys TOTW Pacific Stream and I have the opposite issue. Just yesterday, my wife woke up early for work and decided to feed the boys. I woke up a little later and didn't realize my wife fed them. I put down 2 more cups and bam, it was gone in a heartbeat. We did try a few different brands including Orijen and Acana and both gave my older dog the runs so back to TOTW. Good luck and I would listen to the others, no more hand feeding, they won't starve themselves, he'll eat when he's hungry.

neuticles

Feb 26, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Humphrey
Hello, I have a 7 month old English bulldog named chopper who doesnā€™t like eating. Most the time I have to hand feed him. He currently eats 3 cups a day which is 1092 kcalories a day. Is he eating enough or am I making him eat too much?

He likes to eat- but obviously he hates the dry cr#p your feeding him. Humphrey my 3 1/2 year old English bulldog eats 1 1/2 lbs of beef, turkey or chicken a day supplemented with Pala-Tevh F.A PLUS vitamins. I get cube steak and he loves it raw or cooked. On chicken and turkey he gets deli meat pre weighed into 1.5 lb bag, He likes to mix it up- beef one day - turkey the next, Its about $17/a day for chicken or turkey and about half that for the beef. And he also is hand fed. Very healthy and much peace of mind knowing he is getting the best without fear of chemicals that are killing our pets with cancer.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
He likes to eat- but obviously he hates the dry cr#p your feeding him. Humphrey my 3 1/2 year old English bulldog eats 1 1/2 lbs of beef, turkey or chicken a day supplemented with Pala-Tevh F.A PLUS vitamins. I get cube steak and he loves it raw or cooked. On chicken and turkey he gets deli meat pre weighed into 1.5 lb bag, He likes to mix it up- beef one day - turkey the next, Its about $17/a day for chicken or turkey and about half that for the beef. And he also is hand fed. Very healthy and much peace of mind knowing he is getting the best without fear of chemicals that are killing our pets with cancer.

Cube steak and deli meat? Is he getting bones and organs as that is important to a raw diet to make it complete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Bella has gone through the not wanting to eat too. And I must admit I did hand feed her. Lol
She does that for a couple days every few months. I usually boil some chicken breasts and put about a quarter cup on top. Some days she'll pick the chicken out and leave a mess of her dog food all over the floor.

OP
R

Rober

Feb 16, 2018
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
Would canned food be a good option

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Would canned food be a good option

I personally would not feed solely canned food but I suppose you can mix a little in as a topper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I'd try this first...
Stop hand feeding him and never hand feed him again.
Buy a high quality single protein kibble and serve Chopper 1 Cup in a stainless bowl. Give him 15 minutes to eat it and then take it away. At the next meal time, repeat. Do this until he eats. A healthy Bulldog will NOT starve itself to death...when he gets hungry he will eat. IMO, if he refuses to eat after 3 days then you have a medical issue going on and he needs to see a Vet.
After rescuing and re-homing hundreds of Bulldogs(some extremely finicky about eating) over the past 20 years, we've found that this method works every time. You may find that Chopper needs a bit more than 2 cups kibble per day...it's fine to slowly increase up to, but not more than 3 cups per day. Eventually you will need to back off of that amount as his growth slows.
Get Chopper on your schedule, not his.

OP
R

Rober

Feb 16, 2018
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
I'd try this first...
Stop hand feeding him and never hand feed him again.
Buy a high quality single protein kibble and serve Chopper 1 Cup in a stainless bowl. Give him 15 minutes to eat it and then take it away. At the next meal time, repeat. Do this until he eats. A healthy Bulldog will NOT starve itself to death...when he gets hungry he will eat. IMO, if he refuses to eat after 3 days then you have a medical issue going on and he needs to see a Vet.
After rescuing and re-homing hundreds of Bulldogs(some extremely finicky about eating) over the past 20 years, we've found that this method works every time. You may find that Chopper needs a bit more than 2 cups kibble per day...it's fine to slowly increase up to, but not more than 3 cups per day. Eventually you will need to back off of that amount as his growth slows.
Get Chopper on your schedule, not his.

How far apart should the feedings be and thanks for the advice Iā€™ll try that. Right now I feed him totw prairie puppy

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
How far apart should the feedings be and thanks for the advice Iā€™ll try that. Right now I feed him totw prairie puppy

Being a pup I would try 3x a day. But since youā€™re also training him NOT to hand feed him anymore, you may want 2x a day so he gets hungry n will eat on his own.

OP
R

Rober

Feb 16, 2018
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
Being a pup I would try 3x a day. But since youā€™re also training him NOT to hand feed him anymore, you may want 2x a day so he gets hungry n will eat on his own.

I do feed 2 times a day but how far apart should the feedings be

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.