"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
:help: Short summery here:

Dooley is having a rough summer this year it seems. Couple weeks ago we were at the vet for his bi-annual right ear infection.I tell ya, these Louisiana summers play hell on a EBD ear canal no matter how clean you keep them. I guess one is better than both am I right?!..lol Anyway, the vet noticed his eye on the same side was a little red so they gave him a pill, sorry I do not recall the name, and I got some drops to put in the eye 3 times a day for the next 7 days. They said it could be an eyelash that is irritating it or an infection due to him rubbing his ear but tested it for pink eye and it was negative. Treated him all week and his eye is back to normal. Well last night its back to being puffy and red with a little mucous in the corner by his tear duct again. I started giving him Benadryl yesterday and again this morning and it seems to be a little better.

My questions to you experts :D
How can I tell if an eyelash is stuck in there causing it to become inflamed? I am looking and I do not see anything on his eye lids.
Is it common to get an eye infection on the heels of an ear infection? Wondering if the infection was worse than they figured and he needs more meds.
Is this the start of Cherry Eye or something more serious? All around the eye inside the socket is a little puffy.

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Sorry, i forgot to attach the pics of the eye.
dooley eye 3.jpgdooley eye 2.jpgdooley eye.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=3839]4WHLN[/MENTION] --- it does not look like cherry eye, but it sure is irritated. I would continue the Benadryl just to keep it from swelling and call the vet back. if it is an eye lash, you really can't see it with out a magnifying glass or some type of scope. Also, if it is a lash... see if they can pluck it instead of needing the surgery... it is a possibility and doesn't hurt to ask.

gonna tag some others with insight on eye issues.
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
My Frenchie has a lot of allergies and has been scratching one ear all summer, but I have an otoscope (cheap one from China) and looked in and there's no infection and very little debris. I've been cleaning her ears every day with a mixture ( 5 drops oil of cloves and 5 drops tea tree oil in 60cc witch hazel ) put on a cosmetic pad and wiped around. I found she was more irritated with the 50% apple cider vinegar /50% witch hazel mixture than she was with this mixture. I also have hellsonwheels favourite mixture ( 15 drops lavender, 15 drops Geranium,15 drops Frankincense,15 drops Basil and 10 drops Arborvitae in a 2oz bottle containing fractionated coconut oil) and I apply that once a week, but haven't noticed any change in itchiness since starting that. When she scratches a lot I spray the ear with povidone (Betadine) spray and that seems to soothe her immediately. So far she's not doing too badly.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Also, I give my 30 pound Frenchie dog Chlorpheniramine 6 mg twice daily, or Cetirizine 15 mg daily. A bigger bully would get Chlorpheniramine 8 mg twice daily or Cetirizine 25mg daily. I have my doubts whether antihistamines are of any use in most dogs for itchiness ( atopic dermatitis ) , but the side effects are very minimal.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Frankly speaking, guys, from my practice, ear gunk which is necessary to clean more often than once in 1-2 weeks is a sign of pretty pronounced food or environmental allergy. Too much ear serum which is caused by allergy becomes food for yeast and bacteria. A year ago when Tank had bad allergy issues on kibble food, especially after he survived parvovirus infection, his ears were really dirty and I had to clean them 2 times a week. But now when I found really suitable food combination for him ( home cooked beef, sweet potato, lentils, fish oil and Nuvet supplement and Fortiflora bacteria plus Vit A,E and Zink) I don't need to clean his ears at all. I wipe it with dry tissue may be once a month, but when I check it, tissue isn't really dirty.
I don't think you will be able to combat ear infection if you dog has unmanaged allergy - it will cause increased ear serum production, which, in turn, in warm and wet surroundings of ear channel will make a prefect condition for microorganisms to flourish. But another difficult question is how to figure out what causes allergy- what food components or what environmental factors and if it is possible to eliminate it.
For me it took 1 year of efforts to create a perfect diet for Tank and still requires a lot of money and hard work.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Also, I give my 30 pound Frenchie dog Chlorpheniramine 6 mg twice daily, or Cetirizine 15 mg daily. A bigger bully would get Chlorpheniramine 8 mg twice daily or Cetirizine 25mg daily. I have my doubts whether antihistamines are of any use in most dogs for itchiness ( atopic dermatitis ) , but the side effects are very minimal.

100% agree about antihistamines - most of them seem to be a bit more effective than placebo, but just a tiny bit:D actually I think that only steroids can really stop the avalanche of pathological changes which happen in organisms during allergy, but they are not suitable for long term therapy, so, if cause isn't eliminated (which isn't easy, if possible at all, to find and remove the cause of allergy) antihistamines aren't of great help.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
My dog is doing really well with a lot less paw licking so I know her food (Only Natural EasyRaw turkey ) is the best one yet. I'm almost positive she has environmental allergies, but have been resisting so far getting her on Cytopoint injection, since she sleeps pretty well. If she couldn't sleep I know I would have to try the Cytopoint. She just scratches herself a lot and scratches at one ear.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/the gang regarding the allergy meds, I use Zyrtec... that works best for the eyes. You really need to have a vet check the eye to make sure it's not an ulcer or lash issue... those can be extremely painful, and the protocol may include eye ointment.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Was Fluorescein eye stain used to determine whether there was a sctratch, ulcer, or lash irritation? If the condition persists, ask your Vet for a more thorough exam of the eye...including stain. Ear and eye are unrelated, IMO. Ear issue has been thoroughly covered in previous posts to this thread. Getting to the bottom of the cause can be frustrating and you may never isolate the root cause. Keep trying/experimenting until you find what works best.
Dooley is a handsome one!

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I have been doing the drops again and Benadryl with his meals and the swelling and redness has gone way down. He still gets a little goop from time to time but overall the eye looks so much better than it did couple days ago and it does not seem to be bothering him any longer. I am going to follow up with the vet today also and see what they want to do.

As for his ear infection some have touched on. He gets one at the beginning of the summer and one at the end. I have tried different foods and supplements trying to solve this thing. Nothing I throw at it has worked so I just come to live with it. I keep both ears clean. Well one ear really, the other ear never gets dirty. Vet says its a climate issue and not related to anything else so I just keep it as clean as I can with drops, flushes and Qtips. Besides, when I pull out a Qtip, he takes off running to his favorite spot and lays down on his side. He LOVES LOVES LOVES having his ear cleaned. Maybe even more than butt scratches. Hes such a strange little dog. :lmao:

Thanks all for the info!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have been doing the drops again and Benadryl with his meals and the swelling and redness has gone way down. He still gets a little goop from time to time but overall the eye looks so much better than it did couple days ago and it does not seem to be bothering him any longer. I am going to follow up with the vet today also and see what they want to do.

As for his ear infection some have touched on. He gets one at the beginning of the summer and one at the end. I have tried different foods and supplements trying to solve this thing. Nothing I throw at it has worked so I just come to live with it. I keep both ears clean. Well one ear really, the other ear never gets dirty. Vet says its a climate issue and not related to anything else so I just keep it as clean as I can with drops, flushes and Qtips. Besides, when I pull out a Qtip, he takes off running to his favorite spot and lays down on his side. He LOVES LOVES LOVES having his ear cleaned. Maybe even more than butt scratches. Hes such a strange little dog. :lmao:

Thanks all for the info!

Loves getting ears cleaned!?!?!?? That is a first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Loves getting ears cleaned!?!?!?? That is a first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is a strange, little man.
He loves having his ears rubbed and once the Qtip is in there be starts to moan.....Wait, I might be sharing to much info to you people. :ROFL::lol:

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
He is a strange, little man.
He loves having his ears rubbed and once the Qtip is in there be starts to moan.....Wait, I might be sharing to much info to you people. :ROFL::lol:

hahaha,,

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.