Interdigitial cysts or cysts between toes

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Well Rumble has fallen victim (like so many others) to a cyst between his toes. I have read the articles on here and I think they are great but I just have two remaining questions. First, is there any limitation on the treatment we try? Like can we do an epsom soak and then vetericyn after? I do not want to over do it but I also want to make sure I am doing everything possible. Second, is there anything I should have been doing to prevent this in the first place? I try to take care of Sir Rumble Pig as best I can and I just want to know for the future if there was something I can be doing to prevent this from happening again or if it is just a part of owning a bulldog. Thanks for the help!

Also, for Vetericyn is the spray or hydrogel better?

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Tiffany, I have no experience with this, but I am sure some members will be along shortly to give you some great advice. I just wanted to say that I hope that SRP is feeling better real soon :hug:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Well Rumble has fallen victim (like so many others) to a cyst between his toes. I have read the articles on here and I think they are great but I just have two remaining questions. First, is there any limitation on the treatment we try? Like can we do an epsom soak and then vetericyn after? I do not want to over do it but I also want to make sure I am doing everything possible. Second, is there anything I should have been doing to prevent this in the first place? I try to take care of Sir Rumble Pig as best I can and I just want to know for the future if there was something I can be doing to prevent this from happening again or if it is just a part of owning a bulldog. Thanks for the help!

My vet told me that the cysts are a result of an allergic reaction to Brutus' food and I should change him to a fish and potato food, which I did. He also put bruty on antibiotic because he seems to think it will help clear it up. Bruty also got two ear infections which the vet said was all allergy related. Fantastic!

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My vet told me that the cysts are a result of an allergic reaction to Brutus' food and I should change him to a fish and potato food, which I did. He also put bruty on antibiotic because he seems to think it will help clear it up. Bruty also got two ear infections which the vet said was all allergy related. Fantastic!

Poor Brutus! Hope he is feeling better! Would the allergic reaction just start to show itself if Rumble has been on the food for a while? We haven't changed anything in his diet and he has never had problems before.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Poor Brutus! Hope he is feeling better! Would the allergic reaction just start to show itself if Rumble has been on the food for a while? We haven't changed anything in his diet and he has never had problems before.

It's possible for it to just arise! I will tag some members that could give some advise [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] There are others will be by shortly! I never experienced this but I know Epsom salt soaking is good and keeping it dry especially if he is a paw licker!

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It's possible for it to just arise! I will tag some members that could give some advise @2BullyMama @Davidh There are others will be by shortly! I never experienced this but I know Epsom salt soaking is good and keeping it dry especially if he is a paw licker!

Any ideas on how to keep it dry? It is on his back foot and he is obsessively licking it. Before we pointed it out on Sunday it was like he never knew it was there. Now he is licking it all the time and when we are there we try to stop him but he ignores us and we work during the day so I'm not sure how to stop it.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus was on the same food Merrick grain free buffalo and sweet potato for six months before he had any reaction to it.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You can do the Epsom Salt soak and use Vetericyn after if you like. You can also use Preparation H on them as well. Changing food usually will keep them from coming back. Our Lucy used to get them until we switched her to FROMM, now she doesn't get them any longer.

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Any ideas on how to keep it dry? It is on his back foot and he is obsessively licking it. Before we pointed it out on Sunday it was like he never knew it was there. Now he is licking it all the time and when we are there we try to stop him but he ignores us and we work during the day so I'm not sure how to stop it.

Brutus didn't have cysts but I would put socks on him and tape the top so they can't come off lol no tape on fur but around sock...I have heard paw licking is a symptom of an allergy so the test would be good for you to do :)

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus didn't have cysts but I would put socks on him and tape the top so they can't come off lol no tape on fur but around sock...I have heard paw licking is a symptom of an allergy so the test would be good for you to do :)

I just called the vet and an allergy test will run close to $300. Something I will definitely have to take up with the hubby first but we need to get to the bottom of this that is for sure.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
sounds like allergies, Lola presents thus way too. you can also try a steroid/anti inflammatory medication for two Weeks. you can try switching foods as many have suggested. but it may be environmental, which i think is what Lola has. toe licking with a fury is frustrating i know, but trying to pinpoint the allergen will help you. allergy tests may not be as informative as trial and error.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

They are definitly allergy relate.... Banks has never gotten one, but Nitschke sufferred with them until I had the allergy test done and identified his sensitivity to rice. The allergy test are not 100% accurate, but give a great baseline on what to avoid. For Nitschke, once we removed rice from his diet he never got another one. Grass or other envirnmental allergies can cause them too... wipe his paws when you come in the house after being outside, see if it helps at all

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I just called the vet and an allergy test will run close to $300. Something I will definitely have to take up with the hubby first but we need to get to the bottom of this that is for sure.

I totally understand! Right now in the meantime I would cut out all treats and such and give just kibble for now and see if anything! Trial and error with dog food will cost in the long run :( Hope everything gets better! Here if you need anything!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
First, is there any limitation on the treatment we try? Like can we do an epsom soak and then vetericyn after? I do not want to over do it but I also want to make sure I am doing everything possible.

I did both. I soaked Sally first in the epsom salt and then rinsed that off and then I squirted some vetericyn and genlty massaged it on the cyst. She also got a prescription ointment for skin lessions after that. Never bothered here. Not sure if Quick question. Emma appears to have a tail pocket infection. I noticed it when when I was cleaning her tail pocket on Saturday after her bath. It's deep inside and bleeding, well bright red blood comes out on the cotton ball. Her bend on her tail is so much that she can't wag her tail.

I cleaned it last night with Douxo pad, wiped that out, then used Desitin. This morning I did the same but used Mupiricin 2% cream. Is that ok to use? I'll post over at EBN too. She'd been scouting recently but I chalked it up to hair in her TP until I got in deep to clean it. Sally got hers shortly after we got her so weather he was her food, the grass who knows. I don't think she ever peed on the grass before since since she was a breeder bully after we got her so it could have been the grass for her. What I did learn though was not to stop treatment until it's 100% gone.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I have tried doing "soaks" on Maximus' interdigital cysts (which he has on all 4 paws). It doesn't work for me. I can't get Maximus to sit still long enough to do any type of soak on his paws. I wish there was a way to get him to cooperate, but there just isn't. I've never heard that the cysts were a result of food. That surprises me a lot.
I wish I could get the redness out of the cysts on his paws. Some days they really look very irritated and sore.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.