I love my little guy but I think his feet are deformed--please advise

HoustonBullyLover

Aug 5, 2014
Houston, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
I love this pup. He has been with us for 1.5 weeks. We've gone through diarrhea but his energy level is perking up.

I didn't notice so much when I bought him but it does appear his legs are deformed or at least don't meet the breed standard. I think its called harefoot? I'm attaching a couple of pictures for you bully experts to look at. Do any
of your pups have this? Should I be concerned? Should I say something to the breeder? We do love him. His walk does seem to be cumbersome though. I have tile throughout the house and I've laid mats down for him to walk on.

Do you guys all have bullies that meet the akc breed standard? Just curious.

Attachments

• rocky feet.jpg
    rocky feet.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 2,616
  • rocky feet 2.jpg
    rocky feet 2.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 1,298

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
gosh -- he sure is a cutie pie! i tagged a couple members that might have some insight

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
I don't know AKC but I do know Rocky is so cute. If your vet has bully experience he or she should know. If you bought Rocky to be a family member and one of the gang who cares. He is a handsome fellow. I think he's great.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHi I agree with Ralph, if you bought him as a family pet, it won't matter. Our male Bulldozer has a Genetic Defect in his lower jaw, that didn't show until he was 5 months old. I did inform the breeder, only to let her know that he had this, so. He would be aware, and to suggest that he shouldn't breed his dog with this trait. I would never give him back or want my money back, God made him this way, and he is so cute and loveable. His jaw grew too long on the bottom, and so his upper and lower teeth don't match, which causes him to eat very slow, plus he's congenitally missing two lower molars. He can't close his mouth completely so his tongue is always hanging out. He looks so adorable. Lol

OP
H

HoustonBullyLover

Aug 5, 2014
Houston, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
I love this dog. My concern is that if this is a defect will it cause him problems later on? Also, can they grow out of it? Has his top body grown so fast that his feet are turning out to support the bulk? I don't know. Just hoping some of you can answer these questions for me.

Thanks so much!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this. You can ask your vet, maybe he can give you more answers, and the prognosis, as well as available treatments. I would also call your breeder and let them know, and if you have a contract or a guarantee, and he's going to need surgery down the line, maybe they will reimburse some of the money you paid to help with the costs of surgery.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
All I can tell you is that those paws are so cute! They just add to his adorable look! [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] Same for the tongue! How dang cute is that tongue! I love unique traits in our pups. For whatever reason, those dogs are always my favorites.

- - - Updated - - -

All I can tell you is that those paws are so cute! They just add to his adorable look! [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] Same for the tongue! How dang cute is that tongue! I love unique traits in our pups. For whatever reason, those dogs are always my favorites.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I love this dog. My concern is that if this is a defect will it cause him problems later on? Also, can they grow out of it? Has his top body grown so fast that his feet are turning out to support the bulk? I don't know. Just hoping some of you can answer these questions for me.

Thanks so much!

I was looking at old pictures of my bo, Nitschke, last night and he did this in a lot of those pics so I am wondering if it is just how he stands? Does Rocky do this all the time and it is like that when he walks?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
My Harlea stands with her right front paw turned out a good portion of the time and doesn't have any problems at all. When she walks her paw is in the normal forward position so our vet wasn't overly concerned about it. Now if she is running on our wood floors then she tunes both paws out when she tries to stop so I guess that is her way of putting on the breaks.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Looking at the photos, it looks like his right foot, turns over at the "ankle" more than the left. If you are really worried-take him to a veterinarian who is experienced with English Bulldogs. If he thinks there is a problem, he may even want to put a cast on-while his bones are still forming. If you wait too long(if there IS a problem) it will be too late to help. Then again-the vet may think there is no worry at all. I would think that you could have him check it out and you would feel better about it. [MENTION=12557]HoustonBullyLover[/MENTION]

OP
H

HoustonBullyLover

Aug 5, 2014
Houston, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Thanks everyone. Yes, he walks with the paws turned out as well. I contacted the breeder last night and sent him a picture and a video. He is taking it to his vet to review. Breeder did send me pics and video of Rocky prior to me bringing him home and I would agree with the breeder that he did not show his feet turned out so this confuses me.

Rocky walks and plays but at a very slow pace and he clearly would prefer to lay down then get up and walk; as if walking is too much trouble. I'm going to confer with my vet as well. The more research I do it seems to me its splayed feet not hare foot.

I gotta be honest, it is completely stressing me out. I have waited 30 years to get a bulldog and here I have this adorable fella and he might have a deformity.

BoldDeGuard

Aug 4, 2014
Montana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir BoldDeGuard
@HustonBullyLover Im so sorry your I'll guy is having these issues. He is adorable though :). I completely understand your frustration and fear that he will have serious problems in life. I haven't been through the exact problem, but my most beloved girl was diagnosed with ED and HD at 6 months. My husband and I agonized for months over her prognosis and we decided that it was fate she was brought to us. Because if not US, then who, and would they have loved her and cared for her as well we are? It was meant to be. :)

She may not be the most active dog, she often limps, is NEVER graceful and always seems to injure herself just tripping over her own feet. But she is happy, loving, with an enthusiasm for life that always makes us smile. She is our heart and soul and we often discuss that we can't believe that we lived so long with out her. (She is also our first...ever)

Anyways my point is, we NEVER have any guarantee of our health, our spouses or children's. It's unfair, but it's still a good life. I bet with a good vet and a clear understanding of his issues with the proper treatment you can all live a great life together. Don't let his cute feet get you too down, he may grow out of it. Good luck and let us know how he does.

PS I also have a cat missing his right front leg for the last 9 years. Little stinker is the best mouser and even has figured out how to climb trees. Animals do great with disabilities. Especially when it's all they ever know. Have faith yet!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He is a cutie, and I would for sure let your vet take a look, there might be something they can do to correct it since he is still young, without surgery. That might explain why he is sluggish to get up, it might hurt him to walk.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
I love this pup. He has been with us for 1.5 weeks. We've gone through diarrhea but his energy level is perking up.

I didn't notice so much when I bought him but it does appear his legs are deformed or at least don't meet the breed standard. I think its called harefoot? I'm attaching a couple of pictures for you bully experts to look at. Do any
of your pups have this? Should I be concerned? Should I say something to the breeder? We do love him. His walk does seem to be cumbersome though. I have tile throughout the house and I've laid mats down for him to walk on.

Do you guys all have bullies that meet the akc breed standard? Just curious.

Your cute baby has East/West Pasterns (referred to often as an eastie/westie). This condition is usually due to inadequate diet. The majority of east-west pasterns have less to do with genetics and more with nutrition. Sometimes, this condition is temporary and the pup will outgrow it if his nutritional needs are met with a correction in diet. However the condition, if prolonged, carries a risk of putting excessive strain on the joints and inner legs, hastening the structural breakdown of the bone plates. This could ultimately lead to arthritis in the joints or other degenerative joint disorders.
You should change him over to a very high quality diet and also have a vet take a look at him in case the issue is in fact genetic. Also, make sure that if you have slippery floors (hardwood, linoleum, etc) that you lay down some rugs so that he can get good footing. Good luck! He sure is a doll!

OP
H

HoustonBullyLover

Aug 5, 2014
Houston, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Thank you so much [MENTION=10206]agentbunny[/MENTION]. He has been on a bland diet and I am slowly integrating Fromm Puppy Gold. Would that be an acceptable diet?

I also called a long time breeder here in Houston and asked him his opinion. He said that he has seen a bully come out of this by the time they are 8-10 months old He said if he doesn't come out of it by then it will be permanent. He strongly encouraged me to put Rocky on the grass and make him walk for 15 minutes every evening. I have yoga mats all over the family room for him to walk on so he won't slip.

I have to be honest; we considered returning Rocky to the breeder. In the end the breeder refunded us $500 of the purchase price. We are very pleased because we did not want to send him back to the breeder--not sure that is a good place after learning about the poor nutrition and slick floor issues that can cause this issue.

We're blessed to live in a large city that has so many options for us. There is an orthopedic surgeon vet in our immediate community and I'm going to call him and schedule a consultation tomorrow for Rocky. I just want him to have a look and give me his opinion.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.