I just adopted a senior English bulldog

Fatcookie

Jun 27, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Hi everyone! Today I just adopted an adult English bulldog from the local shelter.. he looks to be around 6 years old, and looks overweight, tomorrow I'm picking him up and taking him to the vet, I never had a bulldog before, but I didn't want to leave him at the shelter since it is a high kill one....he has a problem with his eye, that's why the vet visit , but I would like to know what I should feed him with? Any suggestions about how to take care of him, again is my first bully and want to make him happy....

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi everyone! Today I just adopted an adult English bulldog from the local shelter.. he looks to be around 6 years old, and looks overweight, tomorrow I'm picking him up and taking him to the vet, I never had a bulldog before, but I didn't want to leave him at the shelter since it is a high kill one....he has a problem with his eye, that's why the vet visit , but I would like to know what I should feed him with? Any suggestions about how to take care of him, again is my first bully and want to make him happy....

Welcome !!! There is tons of great advice for all the questions out there on this site. Little search button will guide you. I call it bed time reading n of course weā€™re here to help to. The biggest health issue is alway on the food side. Before doing drastic changes, start asking the ā€œshelterā€ questions on what kind of food heā€™s been eating. It will be kibbles but if Meatball was on raw or home cooking, go back to it slowly. If itā€™s kibbles stick to higher quality like Acana, Orijen, Zignature, Fromm. Whatever you do, DO NOT give Royal Canin as most vets suggest as itā€™s all grain n fillers n vets gets a % $ back on each sale. Great site for dog food is https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ Bookmark it and subscribe to it as they send out recalls if any. Always stick to a 4-5 star brand. 5 star brand is best. I like Acana as they put tripe in there kibbles. If heā€™s overweight, start with small walks. Since heā€™s new to you, you have no clue of any health issue aside from the eyes. If he has joint issues with long walks wonā€™t help him why you need to start small and see how he feels. Baby steps as we say. Ask your vet if he/she has bullies as patients at that clinic. If not you can ask the shelter if they know any vets that knows bullies. If youā€™re going home with a bag of meds for all sorts of issues (aside for the eyes) will be a red flag. At that age put him slowly on joint supplements, or we prefer turmeric with a tiny pinch of black pepper in his food n coconut oil everyday. But start with one teaspoon every other day. Use the search button as it will truly answer most of your questions. Please keep us posted and we love photos!!! Again Welcome!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN! Thank you so much for saving him from the shelter!! Helene has you started right... find a great 4-5 star food if you are going to feed kibble. and, most important find a bully knowledgeable vet.
if you tell us where you are located, we may know one in the area.

OP
F

Fatcookie

Jun 27, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Thank you! I'm in the city of Downey in South California

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you! I'm in the city of Downey in South California

Btw turmeric, start with 1/2 teaspoon per day with a tiny pinch of black pepper n Coconut Oil 1 teaspoon every other day after a month build it up to a tablespoon. Sorry I wasnā€™t clear in my post above for measurements. :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Welcome! And thank you for rescuing this baby...we'd love to see pictures!

Helene has given you some great advice.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Nice job, New Bully Mom!
TYTY