I have to pick a new puppy.

EllieMay

Oct 6, 2019
Marshall Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder
Well I found out today that the puppy I had picked out is not healthy and Iā€™ve got to pick another. I donā€™t care for any of the other females and I donā€™t want to wait until next year.. I think maybe Iā€™m just meant to have a male.. I have picked out two males. There is one deposit ahead of me so if my first pick gets taken, Iā€™ll go with the second. I will know for sure by Friday but I wanted to share my prospects.. I still want to name the baby Cinder even if itā€™s a boy. Do yā€™all think thatā€™s stupid??View attachment 117706View attachment 117707

The blue fawn is my first pick.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Oh my- they are gorgeous!! Firstly, I love the name Cinder and it's fine for a male! They both have beautiful color and markings, so no matter which you end up with, you win! Can't wait to see whoyou bring home!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My question to the breeder is the female you picked that was not healthy, was she from the same dad as those 2 in the photo? Hercules? What was wrong with the female you picked? Curious.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My question to the breeder is the female you picked that was not healthy, was she from the same dad as those 2 in the photo? Hercules? What was wrong with the female you picked? Curious.

I actually had that same thought. Good question!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
be advised...Dogs bred for these colors generally have a higher instance of genetic defect. One pup has already been diagnosed as "not healthy". I'd be very concerned that the other pups from the same litter may eventually show an issue. If that happens after the sale is complete then the only option is to return the puppy for a refund. Most owners will not do that because of the strong bond that is so quickly created.
New owners could be saddled with a lifetime of medical issue management. Our MINI is a perfect example of that. She has Mega E.
If you have already made up your mind to move forward with this plan...
I agree with your first pick, the blue fawn.

OP
EllieMay

EllieMay

Oct 6, 2019
Marshall Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder
View attachment 117712View attachment 117712She couldnā€™t give me an exact answer. A week ago, I questioned the size by a photo I had received. She had told me then that she was the runt but was perfectly healthy.. then all of the sudden sheā€™s not. The lady had also told me that it was not unusual for her to loose a puppy out of a litter.. I am seriously considering taking a loss on my $500 deposit and going with another smaller private breeder. There is a female I like and I like the woman who has her also. I want a healthy baby. This baby is 10 wks old and ready now. She is a black tri. I hadnā€™t thought about that color but itā€™s a female like I had originally planned and sheā€™s gorgeous. The lady also offered me a $250 discount to make up for the loss of some of my deposit..

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Cinder is a very nice name and to me it sounds fine for a boy!

Having said that, I agree with [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]. Breeding for certain colours, and in particular for colours that are not accepted according to breed standards, is not good breeding practice. There is money in such breeding since buyers want their pups to look in a certain way, so bulldogs in these non-standard colours have become very popular, but I would never buy from a breeder who goes for certain colours. Much more important is the temperament of the parents and (if you can find out) their medical history.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
View attachment 117712View attachment 117712She couldnā€™t give me an exact answer. A week ago, I questioned the size by a photo I had received. She had told me then that she was the runt but was perfectly healthy.. then all of the sudden sheā€™s not. The lady had also told me that it was not unusual for her to loose a puppy out of a litter.. I am seriously considering taking a loss on my $500 deposit and going with another smaller private breeder. There is a female I like and I like the woman who has her also. I want a healthy baby. This baby is 10 wks old and ready now. She is a black tri. I hadnā€™t thought about that color but itā€™s a female like I had originally planned and sheā€™s gorgeous. The lady also offered me a $250 discount to make up for the loss of some of my deposit..
Black tri(a designer color) is what MINI is...and looks very close to this girl.
MINI was also the runt...mainly because she could not keep food down with her Mega Esophagus. Feeding her in a Bailey Chair twice daily with a soft food recipe we have designed for her has done wonders. She's doing great!
The resemblance is striking...'cept for that big ole rope!

MINI3.JPG

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder is a very nice name and to me it sounds fine for a boy!

Having said that, I agree with [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]. Breeding for certain colours, and in particular for colours that are not accepted according to breed standards, is not good breeding practice. There is money in such breeding since buyers want their pups to look in a certain way, so bulldogs in these non-standard colours have become very popular, but I would never buy from a breeder who goes for certain colours. Much more important is the temperament of the parents and (if you can find out) their medical history.

Very true you can loose a puppy or 2 out of a litter. If she didnā€™t want to answer your question, I would go elsewhere. Go with your gut. You like that cutie black tri, go for it. Runt or not, they seriously do change as they grow. Also we canā€™t put all breeders trying to breed colours as bad breeders. Sadly yes itā€™s a big money maker n yes not all are colour breeders are doing it the right way. That being said, you do have that little handful of breeders their dogs will come first. I know my breeder will put her dogs before herself, investigate on all buyers n even refused tons of buyers. Those are the rare good breeders. Iā€™ve met a few black tri bulldogs and all very healthy n 2 were in their senior age. You want a healthy puppy? Start feeding it with proper dog food or simply go raw immediately. The more you give a puppy a healthy start the more youā€™ll see your dog thrive as the years goes by. At the end of the day go with your gut.

OP
EllieMay

EllieMay

Oct 6, 2019
Marshall Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder
I am certainly not downing the breeder I was going to originally go with but My gut tells me to stay away. I am going to get the black tri female. Her breeder has been very good about answering my questions. The puppyā€™s parents have no medical issues in History & The puppy also had a good checkup . She Feeds Biljack puppy kibble.. I am picking her up tomorrow evening and we follow up with my vet on Thursday... I didnā€™t think I would have a baby this soon, but now that the decision is made, I feel like a weight is lifted... we are super excited..

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Please get your money back. Blue, Merle, lavender, and black and tans are NOT original English bulldog colors. They are a mix breed and cost way too much money. They also can have a lot of health issues. Please do yourself a favor and do not buy from these unethical breeders who are ruining the breed. There are plenty on ethical breeders out there that are selling healthy bulldogs. They pay close attention to temperament and health when breeding. These unethical "color" breeders do not, they just want to make a quick buck off you and then you have an unhealthy pup.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I am certainly not downing the breeder I was going to originally go with but My gut tells me to stay away. I am going to get the black tri female. Her breeder has been very good about answering my questions. The puppyā€™s parents have no medical issues in History & The puppy also had a good checkup . She Feeds Biljack puppy kibble.. I am picking her up tomorrow evening and we follow up with my vet on Thursday... I didnā€™t think I would have a baby this soon, but now that the decision is made, I feel like a weight is lifted... we are super excited..

Holy cow do not feed her that horrible kibble. It has by-products n corn... Get higher end kibble like Acana

This is what sheā€™s feed
Chicken, Chicken By-Products (organs only, source of arginine), Corn Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Oatmeal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Monocalcium Phosphate, Flaxseed, Salt, Menhaden Fish Meal, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, Sodium Propionate (a preservative), L-Lysine, Vitamin E ...

The Real Reason Dog Food Companies
Use Animal By-Products

Thereā€™s one glaring and indisputable reason animal by-products remain so popular with some manufacturersā€¦ and not others.

Animal by-products are simply cheaperā€¦ notably cheaper than most any other comparable meat product. Theyā€™re used for making dog food because they save money. Not because theyā€™re more nutritious.

Why is this important to a pet food shopper?

Although finding animal by-products in a recipe doesnā€™t guarantee youā€™ve discovered a good or a bad dog food, their presence must always be considered a reliable clue the food is made with cheaper ingredients.

The Bottom Line

With the sole exception of precisely identified organ meats, two rules will help you more intelligently navigate the confusing world of meat-based dog food ingredients.

First, watch what you spend. Never pay top dollar for any dog food that lists animal by-products on its label.

And lastly, never buy any dog food containing anonymous animal by-products sourced from materials a manufacturer refuses to clearly identify.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
All the babies are beautiful, but agree, move on from the first.

And, as suggested, do not feed Biljack... it is not a great food at all

Best of luck with your new baby

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Agree with all the great advice here. REally do research on your food choice- it will make a HUGE difference in health and allergy issues. The food guru's here know their stuff and from experience. food issues are rampant in EBD and starting them out right will make a world of difference in growing!! Can't wait to see pictures. I also think you need to get your first deposit back. The pup you picked was not healthy (per the breeder) and you should not have to settle. Stand firm!

OP
EllieMay

EllieMay

Oct 6, 2019
Marshall Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder
Thank you all!! I appreciate all the advice.. I have decided to take the little female black tri puppy. I will pick her up this evening and we follow up with my vet tomorrow.. I have ordered the Nuvet supplement for her and plan to feed a variety of the 6 star kibble (blue wilderness) listed on this forum as well as raw.. I wouldnā€™t want to eat the same thing all the time and I donā€™t want my baby to develop an allergy to one certain food..???? I will start a new thread after I get her!!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.