jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Hey everyone!
I'm posting a video trying to describe/demonstrate how we trained Winslow to drop stuff. I know this is a really tough one with a lot of bulldogs. Why drop it, when they can make us talk all squeaky, get nice and close, about to grab it, and run away? SO MUCH FUN!! Only to come back and rub their slobbery toys on our arms and legs..... :pray:

Anyway, I was thinking back a few moments ago and realized that at one point I did believe we'd never teach him. Gave it this last shot, and it's worked wonders for us. A few things I didn't mention though:
- this did NOT happen overnight. We started this probably about a year ago and have been working on it, and continue to EVERY time we play. Even if I don't really care if he drops it, I still make him anyway.
- I am a total newb
- It doesn't HAVE to be a ball, but I would think that TWO brand new, identical, super fun omgineedthisnow toys would be a good way to start it. More willing to listen when they really want it, and easier to trade off when it's the same object. that's just kind of how I saw it.

So, here's the video. :eek: I don't know how helpful this is haha, but maybe it's a start for someone trying to teach their bully baby! :luv:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
great video.... handsome boy listens well! 1:10 head tilt is the cutest darn thing!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
WOW… LOVED the video and the head tilt… Lol I need to work on this w/Wally, and I love the idea of NOT using treats. Thanks for sharing!!!

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Oh, you are the sweetest thing!! Thank you so much! I really enjoyed watching this, seeing you interact with your beautiful dog. It IS helpful to me. :yes:

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
great video.... handsome boy listens well! 1:10 head tilt is the cutest darn thing!
Aww thanks! :D
If only he was this calm and cooperative when we had company! Now that's another story!

WOW… LOVED the video and the head tilt… Lol I need to work on this w/Wally, and I love the idea of NOT using treats. Thanks for sharing!!!
Glad you enjoyed it!
Those head tilts got me too, just so darn cute. I actually had another one that i did before this (i couldn't get over how much my bare feet were in it! Put on a pair of courtesy socks and tried again :rofl: ) and as soon as i started talking his head starting going. It was adorable.
Hope it works for him!

Oh, you are the sweetest thing!! Thank you so much! I really enjoyed watching this, seeing you interact with your beautiful dog. It IS helpful to me. :yes:
Aww i feel flattered!
Yay I'm glad you saw this and found it helpful - really hope it's a start!

Let me know how it goes!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.