How to whiten saliva stained paws

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Hi all
i just posted in the welcome forum as I just joined.
Peppa has had allergies and licked her paws a lot. Weā€™ve now cured it and she no longer licks. Her itchiness is gone And we are so happy she is feeling better.
However, she is now left with rusty strains on her white paws. I really want to make them white again so looking for advice please.
Iā€™ve searched around and there isnā€™t much info available Online. I have found that hydrogen peroxide should do the trick but Iā€™d rather try something less harsh first. Iā€™m scared of using something like hydrogen peroxide because she is quite sensitive.
Iā€™ve tried vinegar solution soak and it didnā€™t work.
ive tried baking soda and water paste and it didnā€™t work.
After speaking to groomers, one said bleaching is the only way. Another said feed her blueberries (8 a day) and let the fur grow back to white naturally.

I would be so greatful if someone could share their thoughts if theyā€™ve experienced this. I really want to get her looking white and clean again.
many thanks,

Tin
(proud owner of the sweetest bulldog)

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
I've heard about blueberries for tear stains... I'm not sure how that would end up cleaning the paw fur.
I think letting it come back naturally or bleaching is the only way... I would be worried about re-irritating the paws by bleaching.

I've seen Millie's tear stains clean themselves up over time, after addressing the food.
When I was more impatient I tried drug store Hydrogen Peroxide + Milk of Magnesia + Corn starch. It made a little bit of a difference after letting it dry on for several hours, but then I worried about the possibility for irritation and stopped doing that method.

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Thanks for your reply. Since my last message I already went out and bought blueberrie. Gave her a couple and she likes them so will start feeding her properly tomorrow.
I feel the same about bleach and hydrogen peroxide, thatā€™s why Iā€™ve not tried it yet.
would shaving be an option? If I shave a little bit of fur how long would it take to grow back?

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
would shaving be an option? If I shave a little bit of fur how long would it take to grow back?
Im not sure on that one. My gut says probably a month to look ok but then much longer to fully fill in. You would want to make sure the area stays clean and dry

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
About 40yrs ago my mom use to work for a big hospital in Montreal & back then n still, she said patients with foot infections would soak the foot in water n bleach. Bare in mind it was ā€œonlyā€ one cap from the gallon of the bleach container Very little goes a long way. I recall her saying the patient in question had a cleaner/brighter foot than the other.

Regarding tear stains, when a dog eats a raw diet, the stains disappears.

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.
tear stains are not really a problem because she has apple cider vinegar and coconut oil/water in her diet and I find it helps a lot.
she has the occasional raw beef but not on a full raw diet because she was on dry food with the breeders before so I wanted to keep her on it as she seemed very healthy and well.
The difference now is that we are able to spend a lot more time with her and take her out for walks twice a day whereas before with the breeders she only gets to go out once maybe every two weeks. And we have grass yard whereas the breeders had paved concrete.
therefore, she is exposed to grass and the environment a lot more now which has triggered her allergies.
I think I would rather be safe so I will continue with vinegar soak for paws (if it doesnā€™t help with whitening itā€™s at least helping with yeast build up) and baking soda paste for a little longer to see if they whiten again.
if not then I will let it grow back naturally.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
It's always been our belief that stains are from dyes used in the food. You might consider feeding a different diet. Helene's comment that feeding RAW will eliminate the stains supports our food dye theory.
What are you feeding?

Jun 13, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
VooDoo and Breezy
Hi, I hope the blueberries help. But I wanted to ask how did you eliminate the allergies? Voodoo is constantly licking his paws and I'm not sure the cause.

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Hi, I hope the blueberries help. But I wanted to ask how did you eliminate the allergies? Voodoo is constantly licking his paws and I'm not sure the cause.
We identified that Peppa only started licking in February when the weather got a little warmer so itā€™s most likely grass allergy.
we gave her allergy tablets for one week (loratadine) and also used vinegar, water and liquid dish soap solution for her paw soak. She pretty much stopped licking a day after the tablets.
Piriton, I was told, also works well and is safe for dogs. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s available for you in the States.

Jun 13, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
VooDoo and Breezy
We identified that Peppa only started licking in February when the weather got a little warmer so itā€™s most likely grass allergy.
we gave her allergy tablets for one week (loratadine) and also used vinegar, water and liquid dish soap solution for her paw soak. She pretty much stopped licking a day after the tablets.
Piriton, I was told, also works well and is safe for dogs. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s available for you in the States.
Thank you so much for the info. Iā€™ll look into those tablets hopefully I can find them here.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you so much for the info. Iā€™ll look into those tablets hopefully I can find them here.
Its basically Claritin. Bare in mind, long term will have side effects. Add raw organs as a topper to the meals as it will build up the immune system. Clean the gut as we say :)

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Its basically Claritin. Bare in mind, long term will have side effects. Add raw organs as a topper to the meals as it will build up the immune system. Clean the gut as we say :)
Thanks for advice. Iā€™ll look at raw organs.
I took her off the Loratadine tablets after about 5 days because the allergies started to fade. I would never keep her on medication for longer than necessary.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.