Denisea

Aug 15, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius and Lola
I'm the proud mama of Tiberius, my 9 year old male English Bulldog...and Lola, my 2 year old female English Bulldog. Tiberius (Ti) had always been such a healthy boy from the day we brought him home with us at 9 weeks old. It wasn't until 2015 when he developed a torn CCL and had his first TPLO. 6 weeks later his 2nd TPLO was done due to both legs being impacted. He had an easy first surgery but after the 2nd...he just wasn't the same. His fur took a year to start to grow back and he developed a terrible skin condition that caused hair loss and scabbing. We were told it was pyoderma and that antibiotics and time would clear it up. It never cleared up and he started urinating in the house when he had been potty trained for the previous 7 years. I took him to another vet who tested him and diagnosed him with Cushings Disease and we started to meds and continued on with the numerous regular tests and medication dosage adjustments. Several months went by and we saw no improvement and Ti became extremely lethargic and lost his appetite. Fearing that he had developed Addison's, I asked the vet if we should stop the meds and he said no. I knew something wasn't right so off we went to another vet. This time we went to UC Davis where we were told that he did not have Cushings. He had an ultrasound, a scope, tons of tests and still no diagnosis. Flash forward to today and his urinating indoors is extreme. Daily I find urine on the carpet, furniture, pee pads, you name it. He stares off without really focusing on anything and gets agitated at what seems like nothing. He used to love chewing on bones and now has no interest and we have to prod him to eat. He's lost weight without trying and has no desire to go out for even the shortest of walks. We're at our wits end with the urinating and I don't know what to do. Part of me says that he must have CCD (dog dementia) and it's time to let him go but without an actual diagnosis, I'm so torn. My own quality of life has deminished because I spend so much time mopping, shampooing, and laundering urine in my home. Anyone have any words of wisdom?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=17504]Denisea[/MENTION] If I had a magic wand I would give it to you in a flash. There is not much you can do or anyone. A lot of members had to make the big decision n myself for my GS. You had all sorts of test done on Ti and still to this day no accurate details. From what you have written, Ti has already given up. You will make the right decision soon as im sure you dont want Ti to suffer.

Do have one question though, you went to another vet and still no diagnose, you mean they couldn't diagnosed the issue or you're still waiting for results? Like was this recent?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm the proud mama of Tiberius, my 9 year old male English Bulldog...and Lola, my 2 year old female English Bulldog. Tiberius (Ti) had always been such a healthy boy from the day we brought him home with us at 9 weeks old. It wasn't until 2015 when he developed a torn CCL and had his first TPLO. 6 weeks later his 2nd TPLO was done due to both legs being impacted. He had an easy first surgery but after the 2nd...he just wasn't the same. His fur took a year to start to grow back and he developed a terrible skin condition that caused hair loss and scabbing. We were told it was pyoderma and that antibiotics and time would clear it up. It never cleared up and he started urinating in the house when he had been potty trained for the previous 7 years. I took him to another vet who tested him and diagnosed him with Cushings Disease and we started to meds and continued on with the numerous regular tests and medication dosage adjustments. Several months went by and we saw no improvement and Ti became extremely lethargic and lost his appetite. Fearing that he had developed Addison's, I asked the vet if we should stop the meds and he said no. I knew something wasn't right so off we went to another vet. This time we went to UC Davis where we were told that he did not have Cushings. He had an ultrasound, a scope, tons of tests and still no diagnosis. Flash forward to today and his urinating indoors is extreme. Daily I find urine on the carpet, furniture, pee pads, you name it. He stares off without really focusing on anything and gets agitated at what seems like nothing. He used to love chewing on bones and now has no interest and we have to prod him to eat. He's lost weight without trying and has no desire to go out for even the shortest of walks. We're at our wits end with the urinating and I don't know what to do. Part of me says that he must have CCD (dog dementia) and it's time to let him go but without an actual diagnosis, I'm so torn. My own quality of life has deminished because I spend so much time mopping, shampooing, and laundering urine in my home. Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Hi Denise, I'm so sorry you're going through all this with Tiberius. You both have been through so much, and it seems he's been misdiagnosed and given meds he may not have needed. I don't know anything about CCD, and have never heard about Dementia in dogs. I'm going to have to look this up and learn about it. It's too bad that he's been through so much testing and they still can't diagnose what's wrong with him. At least if you knew what was causing his symptoms, you would be able to make better choices and decisions for his treatment. Has he been tested for Cancer or had his thyroid tested? I hope that the vet can get to the bottom of it and figure out what he has. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way.

The answer to your question of How to Know When it's Time, is different for everyone and every dog. We are never ready to say goodbye to our babies, and it's the toughest and most heartbreaking decision we have to eventually make for them.
I always say that when their quality of life and their life as a dog is no longer good, when they can no longer able to walk or run, hold their bladder or bowels, if they are in pain or can no longer run and play and enjoy being a dog, then it's time for us to make that unselfish decision to end their suffering and let them go. We do all we can to make sure they have a good life, and when they get sick, we do our best to see that all avenues have been tried, we give and get unconditional love and when it's time for them to cross the bridge, then they count on us to help them. We owe that to them, and we owe it to them to stay with them and comfort them until they pass, even though our hearts are breaking and it feels like our hearts are being ripped out. We feel quilty or that we are giving up on our beloved pets, but it's the the best thing we can do for them, because they can't do it for themselves, and they count on us to love them enough to let them go with love and dignity.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 172
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 172
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 177
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 177
Reactions: Lia

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
Awww I am so sorry u r going threw this ya know as far as knowing when it is time noone knows better than u I know its a hard decision to make and I am so sorry it has come to that time for you but u know in ur heart when its time again I am so so so sorry

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
So sorry to hear what you've been going through with poor Ty. Could he possibly have diabetes? - weight loss and urination are two signs. It sounds like every cause has been ruled out so I'm sorry about the difficult decision that you are being forced to take.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
[MENTION=17504]Denisea[/MENTION]

Your story is heartbreaking for me... I went thru a similar situation w/my boxer Roxie. She was 10 years old, and I just had her senior panel done... she was in fantastic shape. THEN all of the sudden the peeing in the house began, so did the testing... she was diagnosed w/cushings so we started the meds. And for a little while it worked, but then things got worse. She would act loopy, stumbling into things... I found her onetime just resting her head on the fence outside. When I would talk to her I could snap her out of it, but she would pace in circles for hours at night in the house or outside in the yard. She basically stopped eating, and started having seizures... I was hand feeding her canned food and giving her syringes of water. The vet was thinking cancer, and ran some tests but nothing was conclusive. Based on her behavior we determined that CUSHINGS must have developed a tumor on her brain. My vet told me that I could take her to UT vet medical school, and they could do what they could to save her. I knew that w/any type of brain surgery it would be an incredibly risky. Honestly at that time I knew that she wouldn't survive the surgery, she was literally skin and bones. One particularly bad night, I had been up ALL night w/her seizures she just gave me a look and I knew... she was tired and she was ready to go home. I took her to the vets in the morning, and she was finally at peace.

It's hard to tell someone when it's time... but I honestly feel like that if you pay attention your baby will let you know. IMO dogs are realists... they accept their fate, and move on with it. They seem to understand the circle of life, while us humans always think we are in charge of everything and hope for a miracle. Sometimes it happens, and sometimes it does not...

My thoughts and prayers are with you... I know how difficult a decision this can be.

OP
D

Denisea

Aug 15, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius and Lola
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]...thank you for your reply. I feel like I need someone (other than my husband) to tell me it's OK to let go. This is by far the hardest thing I've ever had to do and I love my fella more than I love most people. No, we're not waiting on results as we had our final tests, ultrasounds, and scope done back in February. The vet at UC Davis Vet Hospital had said that since there wasn't anything showing in any of the tests, that his conclusion is that it must be neurological and taking into consideration Ti's age, most likely dementia. I could go to more vets and have testing done again...and again....and again, but what if they all come back inconclusive? This is the worst part of being a pawrent...the absolute worst.

OP
D

Denisea

Aug 15, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius and Lola
Thank you so much for your kind words, they mean a lot to me. He has been tested for Diabetes and his Thyroid but I don't know if they tested for Cancer specifically. I guess I just assumed that would be part of the full panel testing.

OP
D

Denisea

Aug 15, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius and Lola
Thank you so much [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]...it's absolutely gut wrenching. I am sick to my stomach just thinking about this. I have decided that if we decide to have my baby put down, we will have it done in our home where he's comfortable and has all of his familiar surroundings. I'm already an emotional mess and to think of him in a cold and sterile environment with strangers for his final moments just kills me.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sending you lots of hugs and prayers of support ....

Tracey has given you great insight.

(((Hugs)))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=17504]Denisea[/MENTION], When I had to put my GS down 2 yrs ago, he was 8yrs old top shape. As he was aging, his brain was escalating towards other animals which turned into blood. His new targets was young children. He was the biggest gentle baby with the whole family. But once outside the house, his brain would do a 360 degree change. This was the hardest decision I have ever made in my lifetime. Im telling you this because a dog, healthy or not, comes "the" time we need to make that decision which no one wants to do. In wildlife, a sick animal, like [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] said, knows it's fate and just go. When it's our dog, they will hang on as far as they can go because they love us more than they love themselves. Why we humans need to make the dreadful decision so our babies dont suffer anymore. No matter what you decide, we are here for you.
:assurred:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So sad to hear this, [MENTION=17504]Denisea[/MENTION] I have been there way more than anyone should have to,having had so many dogs. Over the years I have learned that our dogs ultimately make that decision,it is the owner that has to take time to accept it,as many of us has had to do. It is the second worse decision I've ever had to make. The first was unthinkable.
You can look in Ti's eyes and see the answer.The eyes tell you if they are ready to go. The most painful decision is your's. You must do the kindest thing for him. The best thing is hold him in your arms,and be there for him. He feels your love and his spirit will always be there with you.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
It's so hard to even respond with anything but hugs and support. I wish there was something to take the pain away but I know it's just something that we all face and have to somehow have the strength for. The support you have here is fully with love and prayers... Bless your heart for the years you've given. Huggs, me and Hank

manecya

Jul 10, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Hello [MENTION=17504]Denisea[/MENTION], your story really shook me. My Henry is only 12 weeks old... but I'm so deeply attached and he's made me discover so much love... that I often find myself thinking about THIS. The time will come, I know, we WILL outlive them most of the time. And I have no wise words for you, just as there is probably no recipe to know WHEN is the time. Just wanted to send you some peace of mind to guide your decision. Dont let guilt get in the way of your love. Big hugs from Canada.

OP
D

Denisea

Aug 15, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius and Lola
Thank you so much [MENTION=17356]manecya[/MENTION]. We've made our decision today that we are going to let our baby boy go. I've been sick with emotions and like you, I always had this in the back of my mind and when i would hear stories of other bully parents who lost their babies, i would get so emotional knowing that one day i would face the same heartbreak. I knew that it would hurt terribly, and it does...and what scares me is that the final moment hasn't even arrived yet. I need to have some time with him so we're going to schedule a in-home service to be done in a couple of weeks. I'm so thankful that I found this forum and have been met with such kind and non-judgmental words from you and others. Love that little stinker until you can't love anymore.....it's all we really have to give them.

Take care and bless your heart,

Denise

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.