How often does a puppy need to go out when out of the crate?

Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Brutus is a 20-week-old English Bulldog puppy. He's done really well with crate/house training During the work we I can take him potty in the am before work, my wife takes him out at lunch, and I take him out when I get home with no accidents. Our son takes him out in between but Brutus wouldn't have an accident if he didn't.

When Brutus is out, I usually take him out every hour. He doesn't really sleep if he's out. I guess he saves sleep for the crate. In addition to every hour, I take him out if he drinks or suddenly takes a break from playing and suddenly want to explore random places in the house or does a lot of sniffing. Is every hour needed? I know I could try to stretch the time and just see if he has an accident. I was just curious. I may try to go from an hour to an hour and a half while out to see how he does.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
You should be able to get three hours out of him at 20 weeks. It sounds like you are already getting at least that when you aren’t home

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I've always done 3 hours tops.... even now with my two that at 8 and 12 years.

As a puppy, a few good timing to follow are :
-- 20 to 30 mins after eating
-- immediately upon waking (nap or over night)
-- immediately after any play session
-- one hour more than months old (if 3 months, then 4 hours is your limit)

Members online

No members online now.