Hives or allergic reaction??

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Hi guys, Harvey, my guy that never has issues has been all of a sudden licking at his paws last couple of days. I just noticed his 2 front paws like this! I gave him a benedryl and am soaking him in Epsom salt, vinegar and lavender essential oil now. Vet is Ofcourse closedā€¦ thoughts???

This is not the cysts that Stella usually gets and he has never really had allergy issues before..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2feb1042872779685f3229bbcb603a5f.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
All paws are like that? If yes, could he have walked on recently treated grass... chemicals?

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
All paws are like that? If yes, could he have walked on recently treated grass... chemicals?

Nope, just the front 2. [emoji45]

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Itā€™s so weird, no food, detergent or cleaners are different. The only thing is he got his heart worm 2 days ago but itā€™s the same he has been on forever and no issues.

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Gave benedryl this afternoon, tonight a Zyrtec and have rubbed them with bag balm. Here are better pictures. They donā€™t look better at all. Uggh just when I thought I was doing so good not living at the vet, my healthy one starts with issues.
7ce8e9a08e4919a479eca992379a2eea.jpg

85e1704750af0b9d42d2b15f75a4b15c.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Gave benedryl this afternoon, tonight a Zyrtec and have rubbed them with bag balm. Here are better pictures. They donā€™t look better at all. Uggh just when I thought I was doing so good not living at the vet, my healthy one starts with issues.
7ce8e9a08e4919a479eca992379a2eea.jpg

85e1704750af0b9d42d2b15f75a4b15c.jpg

Almost looks like a hotspot.... keep with bag balm

Since it is just front paws could he have stepped on some weeds or been bit by an insect??

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
I suppose anything is possible but after seeing zedsded post on Wesley a hot spot Iā€™m thinking that may be it.. but it does look like several spots like a hive. It seems slightly better this morning. I will keep with the Zyrtec, keep it clean and apply bag balm. If itā€™s not significantly better tomorrow we will do to the vet. You can tell he isnā€™t comfortable but no other issues otherwise

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
That is odd... has he been licking it as well? I agree it looks like a hot spot...

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
That is odd... has he been licking it as well? I agree it looks like a hot spot...

Yes he has been liking and biting at it. I have been lucky and neither have ever had a hot spot before. If it is, itā€™s bad and covering both front paws. Iā€™m sure will look much worse after shaving the area. He may be wearing the cone for a while. [emoji45]

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
If you started soaking n bag balm hopefully you might put it under control. Nothing has changed in his diet or anything n I believe heā€™s having this issue cause of his heart worm pills as itā€™s made with chemicals (pesticides). You know me I donā€™t believe in that stuff but thatā€™s me. I wouldnā€™t have the vet give him a shot to reduce inflammation as you just gave HW pill. I would let the body fight it n up his probiotics. Mixing other meds or chemicals with the heart worm meds can cause other issues. Harvey never had any issues so his immune system is strong. Keep doing what your doing give it another couple days, see if it gets worse. Then go to the vet. You can also put NuStock n wrap the paws before bed. NuStock has sulfur in it n it will stop the inflammation. Plz keep us updated on Harvey :yes:

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Thanks Helene and all. I do not have nusock but am going to get some. Will keep up with the soaks and bag balm for now.

I thought about the heart worm but I highly doubt it, he has been on that for the year and a half Iā€™ve had him and never had an issue. Fingers crossed itā€™s better tomorrow otherwise he will be going to see the doc [emoji4][emoji3590]

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks Helene and all. I do not have nusock but am going to get some. Will keep up with the soaks and bag balm for now.

I thought about the heart worm but I highly doubt it, he has been on that for the year and a half Iā€™ve had him and never had an issue. Fingers crossed itā€™s better tomorrow otherwise he will be going to see the doc [emoji4][emoji3590]

My go to for a ā€œmustā€ to have at home is Bag Balm n NuStock. When Jake ripped all of his top paw n the whole skin hanging, that what I used. Healed perfectly. He did lose the web on that paw. Not as if he can swim anyway :no:

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
So update on the Harvsterā€¦ vet said there was some bacteria and to take care of infection he got a round of antibiotics and a steroid to take down the inflammation . He is just about done with them and is doing much better.
He consensus is he is developing allergies?

I am using the nu stock and he is getting kefir milk and plain Greek yogurt to make sure his little gut is ok.

Thanks everyone for your valued input. I love this crew! Iā€™m sorry for the delayed update. Had some family emergencies this week and have been tied up[emoji3590]

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
So update on the Harvsterā€¦ vet said there was some bacteria and to take care of infection he got a round of antibiotics and a steroid to take down the inflammation . He is just about done with them and is doing much better.

I am using the nu stock and he is getting kefir milk and plain Greek yogurt to make sure his little gut is ok.

Thanks everyone for your valued input. I love this crew! Iā€™m sorry for the delayed update. Had some family emergencies this week and have been tied up[emoji3590]

A couple months ago we redid are backyard and have new grass and a lot more of it. Coincidentally, Louie started being more itchy and kept scratching giving himself hotspots. Last week I decided to try the Cytopoint shot and he hadnā€™t scratched since. Ella has been more itchy too so clearly they are reacting to the new grass.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Glad heā€™s back on track n plz donā€™t apologize. Family comes first.

You can also use fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies, also 1/4 cup of raw organs on the kibbles. It will bring the gut back on track with them natural vitamins n probiotics.

Members online

No members online now.