Help Needed! Hives and no way to the vet until this evening!

Kat and Adeline

Nov 4, 2014
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Adeline (Addy)
Hello. I am really sorry for my very first post here being one in need of advice. I have been reading over this forum and have found a real wealth of knowledge. I really wish that I had been as informed as I am now of all of the possible issues that could arise with my poor girl when I adopted her. Not that I wouldn't have taken her home; but at least I could have been better prepared! With that said - it seems that my girl is having a bit of a crisis. I noticed a few bumps on her yesterday morning that I now know are hives. I really had no idea what they were before - I just decided to keep an eye on them. This morning they have spread and she is acting kind of weird. She is hyper - like she was really going crazy running in circles on my bed and rubbing her face on the blanket. Also, she refuses to urinate. It is like she is afraid of going onto the grass at all. She had a bm outside last night okay, but she refused to urinate both last night and this morning. Her face does not have any hives on it, and her face does not seem to be swelling, nor does her tongue. She has not been particularly lethargic. From what I have read on here, the absolute best thing for me to do is take her to the vet asap, and I plan to as soon as I can. The problem is that I am stuck here at home without a vehicle or any way to get to the vet, or even to a store to get any benadryl. When my husband gets home for work we will be taking her straight away, but that will not be until this evening. I guess my main question is: what, if anything, can I do to make sure that she is okay between now and then?? I am really afraid. I have only had this girl for two or three months but she is the light of my life.

Secondly, I would appreciate any advice or speculation on what has caused this. There seem to be many possible culprits at this point:

1. Cheap food. I had NO IDEA how important high quality food is for bullies. I have always fed her Benefuls, and have had no real issues until now. Though actually, she has always been a bit itchy - there is an ongoing struggle to get her to stop chewing on her front legs. I have the suggested foods page open and will be looking over it in a few. Her food will get an upgrade immediately. This seems likely to be a contributor but probably not the main issues as I have been feeding this to her regularly and she is just now breaking out into hives, correct?
2. New shampoo. I gave her a bath three days ago with a shampoo I had not used on her before. It is actually one meant to help with dogs who shed a lot.
3. I noticed a little red splotch near her privates post-bath and after I dried her off I put a little medicated powder on it and her belly. Her belly is covered in hives. This is my main suspect at this point.
4. Something in the grass bit her? This would account for her being afraid of going into the grass (it is not particularly long grass). If this is the case I had no knowledge of it when it happened. When she is outside she is always on leash so you would think that I would know that it happened.

*edited*
and 5. I bought a new ear flush from Petco a couple of days ago because I saw a bunch of gunk in her ears. I have only used it on her once, but I suppose this could also be it?

Anyway, thank you so much for reading and for any advice that you could share. Adeline thanks you as well!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome! Thank you for adopting Addy..... Do you have any type of allergy meds, Clartin, Zyrtec? A cool bath will help lessen the itch if you can get her in the tub or shower. Since her face and mouth are not impacted, she should be fine.... It is the breathing you want to watch any change you have to find a way to the vet

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like it could be many different things that may have triggered this outbreak- I'm leaning to the shampoo, maybe some residue was left behind on her coat.

Can you ask a neighbor if they have any benedryl?

If there is no way to get her any, and she cannot be seen until tonight, I would suggest rinsing her with luke warm water bath mixed with a couple of cups of vinegar. That's the only thing I can think of that you can do right now. Don't use hot water as it will only make the hives more prominent.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Many here use Benadryl, I use Claritin for hives 10mg redi-tabs (unflavored) for a bullie at/around 60lbs. It starts to get rid of hives on my bullies within a few hours.

Call a friend or family member with a car, have them get you some Benadryl, Zyrtec or Claritin. Or, like [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] said, get to a neighbor and see if they have anything.

What could of caused it could be anything. A bite, new shampoo, grass, food.. who knows. Once you get the hives under control, you can start figuring it out. It's also allergy season depending on where you are.

I'm also thinking the gunk in her ears is what's causing her to run around and rub her face on your blanket. Her ears are probably bothering her.

OP
Kat and Adeline

Kat and Adeline

Nov 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Adeline (Addy)
Thank you all so much for you input! I ravaged my medicine cabinet and I found a package of 10 Benadryl Allergy liqui-gels...but they expired on 07/13. *sigh* What do you guys think - can I use them? Info on package as follows: Benadryl Allergy Liqui-gels Dye-free. Dipphenhydramine HCI 25 mg antihistimine. She weighs about 54 or 55 pounds so that would be.....2 capsules, right?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you all so much for you input! I ravaged my medicine cabinet and I found a package of 10 Benadryl Allergy liqui-gels...but they expired on 07/13. *sigh* What do you guys think - can I use them? Info on package as follows: Benadryl Allergy Liqui-gels Dye-free. Dipphenhydramine HCI 25 mg antihistimine. She weighs about 54 or 55 pounds so that would be.....2 capsules, right?

yes, two capsules.... As long as they are NOT children's version, it would give it to her

OP
Kat and Adeline

Kat and Adeline

Nov 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Adeline (Addy)
yes, two capsules.... As long as they are NOT children's version, it would give it to her

I will give them to her right away. She just got out of a nice cool bath (much to her dismay!) and seems to be feeling okay right now. You guys are awesome - I'l update with any more info that we get at the doc's later.

Thanks again - so very, very much!

Katy (and Addy!)

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup

Glad she is doing better! Typed my response as you sent yours so am updating.

Dogs can have Benadryl up to 2mg per pound of body weight so if she is not lethargic (or unexpectedly energetic / manic) within a couple of hours from the initial dose you might consider giving her another capsule since you're looking to stop an existing allergic reaction. But if she's never had Benadryl it's always better to err on the side of conservative (lower) dosing. Would use with extra caution if she has heart disease or if she still hasn't urinated as Benadryl can cause urinary retention due to the anticholinergic effects separate from its antihistamine effect. The Benadryl is probably still mostly good if it was stored in a cool dry place and the capsules don't look damaged or cloudy. The liqui-gels might take effect faster than a tablet.

I also find that scratching worsens or spreads hives in both people and dogs so when she scratches you could try to distract her by gently rubbing the area with your fingers. Doesn't solve the problem, but may keep Addy from injuring her skin through scratching.

Last edited:
OP
Kat and Adeline

Kat and Adeline

Nov 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Adeline (Addy)
Adeline did okay for the rest of the day, thankfully. The excess energy has not reappeared and she urinated for me shortly after I posted my last message. Doc gave her a "steroid" shot and wants me to schedule her for an allergy test with her regular vet as soon as I can afford it. I am also to treat her with antihistamines. Poor girl. Though, she does quite enjoy taking her pills as the only way I have figured out to give them to her is via a small scoop of peanut butter. =)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Glad she's okay, sounds like a good plan. I use cheese singles for any meds, others use ice cream.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Adeline did okay for the rest of the day, thankfully. The excess energy has not reappeared and she urinated for me shortly after I posted my last message. Doc gave her a "steroid" shot and wants me to schedule her for an allergy test with her regular vet as soon as I can afford it. I am also to treat her with antihistamines. Poor girl. Though, she does quite enjoy taking her pills as the only way I have figured out to give them to her is via a small scoop of peanut butter. =)

gald she is doing better..... ice cream is my go to for pill hiding! My girl has had this happen twice, very bad, face swelled up, eyes closed, struggle breathing -- we still, after the allergy test. have no idea what caused them becasue, she had not had any or bee near any of the items that were on the list. Strange, huh?

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)

Could also use pill pockets.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm so glad to hear Adeline is doing better, these guys are so sensitive to so many things. Dozer developed hives twice over the summer, I never found the cause of his hives, and nothing changed in his routine, but I always keep Benadryl in the house just in case. I use ice cream or Peanut butter to give them their pills.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online