Hey! Newbie here, advice much appreciated!

Catherine2021

Dec 15, 2021
Country
England U.K.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Hey everyone I’m Catherine from the U.K. and we have just got our very own little English bulldog puppy. Would love some advice! Any advice on anything. Maximus is 9 weeks old! Since he was born we’ve visited and he’s been around our little boy daily (childminder puppies) so he knows us pretty well.

Anyway he’s been with us for 8 days now, settled right in, brilliant in his crate in evening etc. But all of a sudden that has changed the past few days. I knew teething was going to be a tough one but he is good keeping to his toys, although has the stages with us or clothing.
•He is going in the garden for business although very stubborn.
•We never leave him for any great length of time maybe 1-2hr at most and when we do he goes into destructive mode, mainly puppy pads, a chunk of laminate flooring 🤦‍♀️

•But the biggest is he barks loud and I mean loud all of a sudden during night, approx night 7 of being with us - I wake- clean up any mess sort him water, take him into garden, quick cuddle- goodnight and back in- then it starts again and again 😅
I can’t understand why all of a sudden after being with us a week is he now unsettled?
•He doesn’t chew or nip at me but he does my 6yr old and partner 😅 but if i say bed he ignores me, if partner says it he goes 😂
•He pees and poos outside for me but not my partner 🤷‍♀️
•He’s also started scratching around his ears etc for no reason but full of scratching hard no fleas or other pets present.
(pic attached)

Attachments

• 0DAC4FC5-C9A7-46A5-8513-404ABF3B5634.jpeg
    0DAC4FC5-C9A7-46A5-8513-404ABF3B5634.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 140

Dundeered

Jul 10, 2021
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Geoff
I was a first time dad and wow was it tough. I let him sleep with the crate open and every morning I would wake up to present in livingroom ( laminate flooring so easy to clean up). I made the decision that if I got a good nights sleep then didn’t mind. I worried that he would get into a bad habit of doing the toilet in the house but as he got older he kept it in longer from 5 months old he completely stopped leaving presents and I’ve never had to miss sleep. He has never barked in the night , sure I hear him snoring away and occasionally he will waked me as he moves about but I just fall asleep straight away. He was a terror when going through the shark phase biting my hands and legs but again grew out of it. Scratching wise it’s mainly his ears he goes for I regularly clean thenm and to beat of my knowledge he has never had an infection. He has an ongoing issue fur thinning and been to vets several times for skin/allergy issues but they have calmed down when I switched him to RAW diet. I’m also from uk i

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
1…get him raw marrow bones as per the photo below n NOT the cooked ones (as most will break “splinters“) from your butcher n have him/her cut it about 3” long for that size of pup. Yes feed raw n no more chewing anything.

2…he’s only 9weeks you got 2ish more months to go through these issues. You totally need to burn his energy so he sleeps at night. No water at night or most definitely he”ll end up doing his business. Water will move his insides. Make sure you feed him at the same time frame. When my dogs were pups, I would always put them out before I get in bed. Sadly you will have to stretch your bedtime further n wake up earlier to potty train. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Enjoy puppyhood!

Attachments

• BC5BF63B-9D4D-420F-BD48-D5582BAD9D9D.jpeg
    BC5BF63B-9D4D-420F-BD48-D5582BAD9D9D.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 128
OP
Catherine2021

Catherine2021

Dec 15, 2021
Country
England U.K.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Thanks, we have his cage in his own little room downstairs which he seems quite happy with. He’s out freely during day as someone usually always home. Waking with him I don’t mind it not being able to satisfy him when I do. Like he goes out side all the time continually, so that a good routine we got, he has a set routine when it feeding time and going out.
Telling him no when he chews or stopping playtime just ends up in a barking argument from him😂

i think we have more getting a shock how stubborn he is and how hard he is actually is- we have had puppy’s/dogs before but never had one so defiant or stubborn to do anything 😂

Attachments

• EAE50037-F3C8-45AF-AA54-94CBF74B5D33.jpeg
    EAE50037-F3C8-45AF-AA54-94CBF74B5D33.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 134
OP
Catherine2021

Catherine2021

Dec 15, 2021
Country
England U.K.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I was a first time dad and wow was it tough. I let him sleep with the crate open and every morning I would wake up to present in livingroom ( laminate flooring so easy to clean up). I made the decision that if I got a good nights sleep then didn’t mind. I worried that he would get into a bad habit of doing the toilet in the house but as he got older he kept it in longer from 5 months old he completely stopped leaving presents and I’ve never had to miss sleep. He has never barked in the night , sure I hear him snoring away and occasionally he will waked me as he moves about but I just fall asleep straight away. He was a terror when going through the shark phase biting my hands and legs but again grew out of it. Scratching wise it’s mainly his ears he goes for I regularly clean thenm and to beat of my knowledge he has never had an infection. He has an ongoing issue fur thinning and been to vets several times for skin/allergy issues but they have calmed down when I switched him to RAW diet. I’m also from uk i
What do you use for his ears?
i know royal cannin is recommended but he was previously on bakers which is worse and we didn’t realise royal cannin wasn’t recommend neither 😅

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Welcome to EBN and to the wonderful world of bulldogs! They can be incredibly stubborn.
I have been away from the UK for too long now as far as food recommendations but I do believe you can get Acana. You are right, RC is a no-no. Raw is best and you are in the best place for butchers so if you can, do it! What I would give for a proper butcher here... I am sure others will be along to help with hints for puppyhood too. Good luck!

OP
Catherine2021

Catherine2021

Dec 15, 2021
Country
England U.K.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Welcome to EBN and to the wonderful world of bulldogs! They can be incredibly stubborn.
I have been away from the UK for too long now as far as food recommendations but I do believe you can get Acana. You are right, RC is a no-no. Raw is best and you are in the best place for butchers so if you can, do it! What I would give for a proper butcher here... I am sure others will be along to help with hints for puppyhood too. Good luck!
Thanks so much! RC has always been the known go to brand and I thought it better then bakers 😅 but then maybe not. Il speak with vet on Wednesday, as I suppose this could be causing his scratching also.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks so much! RC has always been the known go to brand and I thought it better then bakers 😅 but then maybe not. Il speak with vet on Wednesday, as I suppose this could be causing his scratching also.
Like @1Chumly mentioned RC is a BIG no no….It’s mostly grains. And yes UK does have Acana. It has the highest protein count in any brand. I state this often, rotation is the key. After each bag, switch protein so the puppy immune system gets use to all protein. Avoids future allergies “if” any.

Sadly Bulldogs will plz you if only they feel like it. They totally understand what you want but they will look at you, n go…..”naaaaaa not today” thingy.

Dundeered

Jul 10, 2021
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Geoff
Thanks, we have his cage in his own little room downstairs which he seems quite happy with. He’s out freely during day as someone usually always home. Waking with him I don’t mind it not being able to satisfy him when I do. Like he goes out side all the time continually, so that a good routine we got, he has a set routine when it feeding time and going out.
Telling him no when he chews or stopping playtime just ends up in a barking argument from him😂

i think we have more getting a shock how stubborn he is and how hard he is actually is- we have had puppy’s/dogs before but never had one so defiant or stubborn to do anything 😂
Get him on the nutriment raw complete food. It’s so easy to use. Buy it frozen keep in freezer take it out night before at teatime to let it defrost overnight. I buy the 1.5kg chubbs and each one last 2 days , once defrosted I store it in a Tupperware container in fridge. Other essentials I have stocked up on are natural water wipes, clorahexadine wipes, nu stock ointment ( available on uk Amazon from America). Vetericyn wound and skincare liquid, ear cleaning wipes

Last edited:

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
Welcome to you and that pretty little bullyboy. Patience is a big thing with those bullys. He'll come around and settle down. We are looking forward to seeing many more photos of your new addition. Thanks for sharing with us.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great advice has been given… puppy stage is wonderful and brutAl at the same time. Enjoy while it last.

welcome to EBN

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
:welcome: Maximus is too cute! 😁
Theres not much to add that hasn’t already been said, all bully’s are different and we have also had other breeds and they are certainly different from other dogs too.

people will always get the idea that bulldogs aren’t very inelegant because of the way they look but they are the worst mix of intelligence and stubbornness 🙂
as said earlier they generally know exactly what you mean but will selectively choose when to actually comply!

Wesley has been on raw since we got him home and he is doing very well on it, i would definitely try it if you can.

good luck 😄

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hello baby Maximus!
Our Castor did very well on a British brand called Canagan (but I don't know if they have puppy food).

OP
Catherine2021

Catherine2021

Dec 15, 2021
Country
England U.K.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Thanks everyone he seems to be settling well, going outdoors for toilet not many indoor accidents, chewing is still high but expected and he has loads of kong toys x

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online