Help with food and pooping

sonia92672

Mar 16, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
Hello!

I have a 5 month old English Bulldog Pup named Biggie :) I have had him for almost 2 months now and wow has it been a journey. When I first got him he had very loose stools. I changed his food a couple times, he is now currently eating Acana Duck and Pear. His poops are way better, more solid. However, this man will poop so many times. Vet suggested I feed him his serving once a day which we are doing at like 4:00pm and then the pooping begins. He is doing pretty decent with potty training when he is being watched, however at night he poops his kennel like 2-3 times. Morning comes and he is still pooping, when it has literally been hours since he has eaten. His poop is solid not runny. I do not know what else to do. I do not know how he keeps pooping even when he has not eaten in awhile. I am struggling. I am tired of waking up to so much poop. I pray that the day comes that he can be in his crate over night without pooping. Does anyone have ideas or suggestions? All I get from my vet is "if its normal poop and not runny he is doing ok" He is growing and gaining weight but when does this poop stuff get more regular.

I am hoping someone that has been through something like this can help me because I am one tired Mama.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I tried feeding Acana to one of mine when he was a puppy and it was too rich for him and he was pooping a lot more than normal. Finding a food that works is always trial and error as all dogs are different and what works for one may not work for another. You might want to try a different brand.

Also, a puppy should be eating more than once a day. I feed 3 times a day up until about 6 months.

I have an almost 8 month old and she poops probably twice a day, sometimes 3 times and it's been like that for awhile now.

OP
S

sonia92672

Mar 16, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
I tried feeding Acana to one of mine when he was a puppy and it was too rich for him and he was pooping a lot more than normal. Finding a food that works is always trial and error as all dogs are different and what works for one may not work for another. You might want to try a different brand.

Also, a puppy should be eating more than once a day. I feed 3 times a day up until about 6 months.

I have an almost 8 month old and she poops probably twice a day, sometimes 3 times and it's been like that for awhile now.
I have been reading about Acana being too rich. Do you have a good food suggestion? He does better on grain free.

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
I agree with Cbrugs- puppies need to eat more than once a day. Most vets recommend 3x per day. We've always fed 2x per day because of our work schedule. It could be the food you're feeding is too rich as well. We feed Earthborn Holistic- Meadow Feast and they all poop 2-3 times per day. My frenchie is 9 months old now, and he wasn't fully house broken until about the 5 month old mark. But he quit pooping in his crate very early on, most dogs genuinely don't like to be in their crate with their poop, so make sure the crate you're using isn't too big either. We fed Taste of the Wild Puppy formula until he was a little over 6 months old. We just recently made the switch to Earthborn and I like it a lot more- poops are much firmer and seem healthier. As a start, I would change foods to something less rich, use a puppy formula or an all life stages formula, and feed more frequently. Also, check your crate size! If it's too big it won't deter him from pooping in there.

OP
S

sonia92672

Mar 16, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
I agree with Cbrugs- puppies need to eat more than once a day. Most vets recommend 3x per day. We've always fed 2x per day because of our work schedule. It could be the food you're feeding is too rich as well. We feed Earthborn Holistic- Meadow Feast and they all poop 2-3 times per day. My frenchie is 9 months old now, and he wasn't fully house broken until about the 5 month old mark. But he quit pooping in his crate very early on, most dogs genuinely don't like to be in their crate with their poop, so make sure the crate you're using isn't too big either. We fed Taste of the Wild Puppy formula until he was a little over 6 months old. We just recently made the switch to Earthborn and I like it a lot more- poops are much firmer and seem healthier. As a start, I would change foods to something less rich, use a puppy formula or an all life stages formula, and feed more frequently. Also, check your crate size! If it's too big it won't deter him from pooping in there.
thank you :)

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I have been reading about Acana being too rich. Do you have a good food suggestion? He does better on grain free.
My 2 kibble fed dogs eat and do well on Open Farm with Ancient Grains. They have a grain free line as well. Some other brands you can look at are Zignature, Earthborn Holistic, First Mate to just name a couple. There are many decent brands out there to research and try. Since he is only 5 months old, be careful with a food that is super high in protein as they can affect his growth.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hello!

I have a 5 month old English Bulldog Pup named Biggie :) I have had him for almost 2 months now and wow has it been a journey. When I first got him he had very loose stools. I changed his food a couple times, he is now currently eating Acana Duck and Pear. His poops are way better, more solid. However, this man will poop so many times. Vet suggested I feed him his serving once a day which we are doing at like 4:00pm and then the pooping begins. He is doing pretty decent with potty training when he is being watched, however at night he poops his kennel like 2-3 times. Morning comes and he is still pooping, when it has literally been hours since he has eaten. His poop is solid not runny. I do not know what else to do. I do not know how he keeps pooping even when he has not eaten in awhile. I am struggling. I am tired of waking up to so much poop. I pray that the day comes that he can be in his crate over night without pooping. Does anyone have ideas or suggestions? All I get from my vet is "if its normal poop and not runny he is doing ok" He is growing and gaining weight but when does this poop stuff get more regular.

I am hoping someone that has been through something like this can help me because I am one tired Mama.

Definitely he needs to eat more than once a day.

Some foods make dogs need to go more often, Acana does that to some dogs.

I would recommend switching his food, if you want to stick to kibble, these are really good brands:

- Natures Logic-has probiotics in it and is whole food based and no synthetic vitamins.
-Carna 4- has probiotics and no synthetic vitamins, it’s oven baked.

-N&D

I personally would try the Natures logic or Carna 4 as it’s very easy to digest and has probiotics in it too. Lots of good proteins to choose from too.
Both these foods are for all life stages which is good for puppies too.

Also for him eating poop, that’s usually means he is deficient in something in his diet, some dogs do it from a habit. One of my dogs, she always used to eat her own as a puppy(this was frustrating and gross!), when we knew it was likely something missing in her food, we switched them off the Eukanuba(this food is garbage and has tons of fillers in it, they were on this from the breeder as puppies until we switched them to better quality), and she did it even less often but didn’t go away completely, once they were switched to raw, she hasn’t even tried to eat it.
My recommendation is to switch your pup to a higher quality kibble or Raw diet(if your open to feeding raw).

Others I know with that issue, they have switched to Natures Logic kibble with great success!

I switched my dogs to raw a little over a year ago, my Frenchie only goes 1 time in 1-2 days total. And it’s very minimal what I have to pick up.
That’s another option if your open to feeding raw?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.