Help! Stubborn bully spitting out medicine and other issues!!!

otis2611

Mar 21, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
My 4 1/2 year old stubborn bulldog is too smart for his own good! He started on medication for aggression and was doing fine for 2 weeks. I have been trying cream cheese, hotdog, peanut butter, braunschweiger- you name it! He is allergic to chicken so I used to hide it in chicken nuggets but no more! This morning I spent over an hour for him to try and take it with lots of human food options. I feel like he smells it now and is refusing it! He has been having issues at night with growling so was put on medication to help level his serontine levels. The medication is definitely needed. In the mean time, he is scheduled for tail amputation on June 8 and will need meds after that! So much going on here!!! Any advice on aggression (we have seen a behaviorist), tail amputation (ugh! soooo stressed about it) or getting him to take his meds would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Thanks!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I have the same issue with Boeboe, she'll smell a pill from a mile away... The only way it has worked for me is to simply put it down her throat, hold her mouth closed and rub her throat till she swallows. It's rough but so far I haven't found anything else that works.

I've been suggested to try ice cream, which I actually think might work but I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Sorry to hear about the tail amputation, I don't have any experience, I hope it will go smooth and he'll recover nicely. Is his aggression issues cos of the tail problem? They tend to be aggressive if they're bothered by something...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My 4 1/2 year old stubborn bulldog is too smart for his own good! He started on medication for aggression and was doing fine for 2 weeks. I have been trying cream cheese, hotdog, peanut butter, braunschweiger- you name it! He is allergic to chicken so I used to hide it in chicken nuggets but no more! This morning I spent over an hour for him to try and take it with lots of human food options. I feel like he smells it now and is refusing it! He has been having issues at night with growling so was put on medication to help level his serontine levels. The medication is definitely needed. In the mean time, he is scheduled for tail amputation on June 8 and will need meds after that! So much going on here!!! Any advice on aggression (we have seen a behaviorist), tail amputation (ugh! soooo stressed about it) or getting him to take his meds would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Thanks!

I have used, without fail, vanilla ice cream for about 11 years.... it is too cold for them to not just swallow. use just enough to cover the pill(s)

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I think mine just eats about anything except bare pills. I plop it in a spoonful of pumpkin or coconut oil and he eats it readily. I find it easier to put in substances he licks up and swallows without chewing.

Has anyone ever tried freezing a pill in a treat? Just wondering if that would work.

OP
O

otis2611

Mar 21, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
The behaviorist says no but the surgeon said it may be. We will see! I am willing to try anything to help the issue! He is such a large part of our family so we need to figure it out. We hold his mouth shut for the heartworm medicine every month- so annoying! I will try the ice cream and if all else fails I will need to hold his mouth closed! Thanks for the advice!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The behaviorist says no but the surgeon said it may be. We will see! I am willing to try anything to help the issue! He is such a large part of our family so we need to figure it out. We hold his mouth shut for the heartworm medicine every month- so annoying! I will try the ice cream and if all else fails I will need to hold his mouth closed! Thanks for the advice!

Also, I recently had tail removed on my boy and he was tired for one day and then ready to tear it up the next. if he is in pain from the tail issues, it most certainly will cause some 'aggression'. Give him two weeks post surgery and see if there are any changes. keep us posted.... good luck

OP
O

otis2611

Mar 21, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
How does it look? Obviously it needs to get done but I am really nervous about putting him under and making sure he feels better! Did you see a difference in your dog?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How does it look? Obviously it needs to get done but I am really nervous about putting him under and making sure he feels better! Did you see a difference in your dog?

Before surgery, Lambeau's tail was very tight with a deep pocket and a beast of an infection. he was 1 year old and his behavior has always remained steady from being a puppy... he is a big goofball with a nickname of MUSH.

I tagged a few members that also had tail removal that might be able to give different insight than me. we have been very lucky with Lambeau -- he shows no unacceptable behavior (as of yet)

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
I think mine just eats about anything except bare pills. I plop it in a spoonful of pumpkin or coconut oil and he eats it readily. I find it easier to put in substances he licks up and swallows without chewing.

Has anyone ever tried freezing a pill in a treat? Just wondering if that would work.

I agree with Kim De; solid coconut oil works for me. It's kind of like Crisco, but melts quickly on your hand. She loves it! I use it for a treat as well!

OP
O

otis2611

Mar 21, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
I am going to try them all!! Thanks so much guys! I will keep you posted!!!

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Hi, my George has just been through a tail amputation it went really well and I am sure yours will too. It took George 2 full days to recover from the anaesthetic but he was good enough after that he could jump up on his chair and do all his usual things. We did have one issue this week the wound was healing and as is normal scabs were forming (nothing major just small bits difficult to see really) they must have been irritating him as all this week he has been what I can only describe as depressed, but today the vet removed them and flushed the wound did blood tests (which were all ok) and he seems much better this evening. I must say I was worried though as he had taken to living in his crate apart from eating and going to the bathroom.
As regards medication I put any pills in a lump of tinned tuna (in brine) I think it might mask the smell better but if he's as clever as he sounds that may not work. I was also going to suggest freezing the pills into ice cubes or a frozen fruit treat and I see someone else said that too it might just work.
George also has a slight aggression problem but it only rears its head if he is tired or has had enough interacting with us. With no warning he wil just start biting our feet and if you say stop or no he starts jumping up and biting at legs and arms and if he made contact it would be dangerous. Not dismissing anyone's wonderful relationship with their Bulldogs but they are strong animals and to take a bite off them would be difficult mentally and physically. I know some of them are like big cuddly toys and that is great and their owners as very lucky but there are some that aren't. George is not big into affection or being petted much and we need to respect that. I have no idea about medication for aggression but I think I would rather find out what is causing it by having the dog assessed by a behaviourist as I don't think most dogs are just agressive there is something causing it. You may have been down that road and this is your last resort if so I am sorry that is the situation and I hope you can find a way to get his medication in so he can feel better.
Just to return to the tail amp it is a difficult operation for dog and vet my vet was very honest with me about that but he did a wonderful job and I think you will feel the same when it's done it also may help with the problems he's having as the discomfort he's in now is bound to make him angry.
I truly wish you and your bully all the best for the procedure and in the future.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with the ice cream, you can also use frozen yogurt, they love it, and the coconut oil sounds like it would work as well. My guys love coconut oil.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.