bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
Help!! in the last month or so Radar has become really protective. He goes to my in laws house during the day while we are at work and recently radar has started barking and trying to attach strangers who come over. THEN on Friday my husband picked up my son (doesn't happen a lot as he is almost 10) and when he put him down Radar tried to attach him, growling, nipping etc., this morning Gavin was being funny and crawled towards me on all fours and Radar went after him again, and just now I tried to give my son a hug and Radar growled and tried to nip at him again. I know there have been other posts to have Gavin take him out and to be in charge of the food so I am going to try that and see if it helps. How do I stop the aggression to strangers at the in laws house and any other ideas, suggestions, tips would be very much appreciated.

Radar is 1.5 years old. I need to get a fix on this cause if I don't my husband won't tolerate it. Radar and Gavin are the best of friends until he sits next Radar1@AAHC_2014.jpgto or hugs us etc.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is everyone in the house following the same training rules with him? Also. Keep him on leash when visitors are over and correct him if he tries to jump or lunge at them

OP
bengardradar

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
We all try to follow the same rules I will try the leash and having my son feed him and hopefully he will stop

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Keep him leashed and have your son walk around with him while giving simple commands like sit, stay. Make sure all interactions are supervised so you can be sure everyone is calm and ok. The dog has to respect your son and right now it doesn't like he does. Make sure your son rewards radar with a treat when he walks nice or listens to his commands. Training has to be consistant and done everyday until you see a change in behavior.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I don't understand why he is being aggressive, unless he has not had to learn to respect his place in the "pack". Or he has a pedigree of dogs that tended to be aggressive.
I have never had this problem, and I have raised alot of breeds of dogs. I agree that you need to keep him on a leash, and he has to learn that your son is his alpha,and he is in charge of Radar, and Radar is not the one in charge. I would have your son do everything with the dog-walk him, feed him, and do training with him. He has to learn that your son is not intruding-as Radar may be becoming jealous of your son. For the time being, I would tell visitors NOT to pet him. He must be "taken down a peg" and get under control before he bites someone who may sue you.

OP
bengardradar

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
I will admit after this that I was ready to be a dog owner but not as educated as I should have been radar has been in his harness and on his leash tonight gavin gave him his supper him and dad checked homework and no episodes hopefully with x mad break and my husband being off we can fix this. Thank you all for your advice

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I will admit after this that I was ready to be a dog owner but not as educated as I should have been radar has been in his harness and on his leash tonight gavin gave him his supper him and dad checked homework and no episodes hopefully with x mad break and my husband being off we can fix this. Thank you all for your advice

Keep in mind consistency is the key here... Radar is in the 'teenage' years and is going to take every inch he can get. Even when he starts to improve STAY on him with the training. Banks was 9 yrs old and was in traing for 9 yrs - whnever she knew we were not 'on her' she would push that envelope

OP
bengardradar

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
Keep in mind consistency is the key here... Radar is in the 'teenage' years and is going to take every inch he can get. Even when he starts to improve STAY on him with the training. Banks was 9 yrs old and was in traing for 9 yrs - whnever she knew we were not 'on her' she would push that envelope
Gavin has been feeding and walking Radar, but something you said in another post got me thinking and doing more research about his aggressiveness. You mentioned thyroid -- I used my google machine as my husband calls it - and everything about hypothyroidism fits Radar to a T -- and I also see that English Bulldogs are in the top 10 of dogs that can suffer from this condition.
So off to the vet on Friday to get blood work and fingers crossed we can figure it out.:pray2:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gavin has been feeding and walking Radar, but something you said in another post got me thinking and doing more research about his aggressiveness. You mentioned thyroid -- I used my google machine as my husband calls it - and everything about hypothyroidism fits Radar to a T -- and I also see that English Bulldogs are in the top 10 of dogs that can suffer from this condition.
So off to the vet on Friday to get blood work and fingers crossed we can figure it out.:pray2:

Good idea... be sure to still stay consistent on the training -- they are buggers at this age

OP
bengardradar

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
I will definitely stay consistent with the training, with all of my research I have found that a Dr Jean Dobbs in CA is a leader in this field so I think I am going to request that my vet send his blood sample to them as well.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
GREAT.... keep us posted and I hope it all goes well!

OP
bengardradar

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
We had our vet appointment today -- things went well I think - my vet was very receptive and thought that the thyroid test was a really good idea - she said it's been in the back of her mind especially because he will lose a few pounds 1 visit and then gain it back plus 1 or 2 each time we are there. She isn't sending the blood to the doctor I read so much about on the internet -she is going to send it to Iowa State, and said if he was in the low normal range she would still treat him to get his levels in the normal high range and see how things go and adjust from there.

Gavin has been feeding Radar and making him sit, stay, and walking him when it isn't super cold here and things are going better we are not separating them per say, but are limiting the time they are together especially in the early afternoon/evenings when Radar seem to be the most disorientated.

I will update again when I get blood test results.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have some great advise above and I am glad 1 that he is getting a little better, so keep up the good work on the training, and 2 I am glad you checked his thyroid. It never hurts to make sure it is not a chemical problem.

OP
bengardradar

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
Ok so radar has been on thuya and lyssin for almost a week and with the training and meds is getting better but I going crazy cause I haven't heard anything on his thyroid test. I am praying tomorrow I hear something

OP
bengardradar

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
Radar Update: Since my last post we have had his Thyroid tested, completed the Thuja and Lyssin for his possible vaccine reaction, my son has been feeding him, we had a behaviorist at the house just this Saturday and things are much better.

His Thyroid came back completely normal, he was smack dab in the middle on everything. The Thuja and Lyssin I think made a difference, my vet says that there is no way that his rabies shot had anything to do with his problems, I am not convinced - if there is a side effect to something Radar will have it.

The behaviorist was at the house on Saturday and that was a huge wake up call for all of us he was fantastic he taught us a lot about the things we do at the house that give Radar the wrong impression - like he said everything you do trains your dog only sometimes you mean it. We have put in place some very easy exercises to re-train Radar that we are in charge.

I am not sure if it was his rabies shot or us that got him this way, I am assuming it was mostly us and I have to stop beating myself up about that, but we are on the right track now and are seeing improvements every day and with some consistency we should have our adorable, funny, loving fur baby back.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online