2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you...I have been wondering at what age to switch him to adult. Will be checking the Fromm line for single protein bags.

From is a great line of food, but I donā€™t think they have single protein.... look into Zingnature

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
I feed Shirley Zignature catfish but am almost at a point with her being settled in now and once I can figure out this recent vomiting issue before I begin rotating proteins. Everyone's advice was it takes about 3 months for a rescue to get settled in, we are a couple weeks away from that point. I wanted to allow her to fully settle in before making any changes in her diet.
From everything I've read in this thread, it does seem like a food system overload on lil Gilbert, even for an adult, but that's just my thinking on it. To me simple always better on the system.

OP
ladywebb

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
From is a great line of food, but I donā€™t think they have single protein.... look into Zingnature

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good to know about the Fromm! I was also thinking Acana brand, but will now also look into Zingnature. Thanks!:)

OP
ladywebb

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
I feed Shirley Zignature catfish but am almost at a point with her being settled in now and once I can figure out this recent vomiting issue before I begin rotating proteins. Everyone's advice was it takes about 3 months for a rescue to get settled in, we are a couple weeks away from that point. I wanted to allow her to fully settle in before making any changes in her diet.
From everything I've read in this thread, it does seem like a food system overload on lil Gilbert, even for an adult, but that's just my thinking on it. To me simple always better on the system.

Agreed..too much on his system. I just need to K.I.S.S!:yes:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Feed 1 cup in AM and 1 Cup in PM...adult food. Don't worry about a slow transition away from Puppy kibbles. His gut is already a little wonky and he'll probably continue to have loose stool for a week or so until he gets used to the food change. Zignature typically $10 per big bag less that Orijen and Acana. It's just as good of a food, IMO.

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Feed 1 cup in AM and 1 Cup in PM...adult food. Don't worry about a slow transition away from Puppy kibbles. His gut is already a little wonky and he'll probably continue to have loose stool for a week or so until he gets used to the food change. Zignature typically $10 per big bag less that Orijen and Acana. It's just as good of a food, IMO.

Thanks for the info on the different brands aside from Zignature that are comparable in quality. I get the 25 lb bag and it's $57 a bag but will be getting the small bags of different proteins when she's ready. I feed her 1 cup each feeding, bfast and supper but she gained 5lbs in the first week home with me from the rescue and still gaining but not by pounds, just ounces now. She was 51 lbs when I adopted her now she's nearing 57lbs. I thought that was a bit heavy for a female, but she's got her waistline and you can still feel her ribs when running your fingers down her side as you should and they're not visible through her coat.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you...I have been wondering at what age to switch him to adult. Will be checking the Fromm line for single protein bags.

Single protein are Acana n Zignature. Acana has the height protein count. Start with Duck. Either or brand. Ive never used Zignature but still good product. :). If you can go raw even better.

OP
ladywebb

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
Single protein are Acana n Zignature. Acana has the height protein count. Start with Duck. Either or brand. Ive never used Zignature but still good product. :). If you can go raw even better.

I was kinda leaning on the Acana line in the beginning but went with the Fromm. Will sure check them both out. thanks!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I was kinda leaning on the Acana line in the beginning but went with the Fromm. Will sure check them both out. thanks!

I believe Fromm does have single proteins but I think they use white potatoes in a lot of their formulas. I try to stay away from potatoes...super starchy and can feed yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
I believe Fromm does have single proteins but I think they use white potatoes in a lot of their formulas. I try to stay away from potatoes...super starchy and can feed yeast.

Did not know that about potatoes. Thank you for the education.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Giving too much food can also cause loose stool.

Yes!!
We were over feeding my Bella when she was real young! She seemed to always be hungry. Ate so fast and wanted more.
But then she would have diarrhea!
It took a few days and a lot of messy clean ups to figure it out.

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
I am so late to this thread.. I hope that just going back to the Fromm for a bit has settled his tummy down. I did want to mention, i know most of us use pumpkin to help firm up stools.. it's pretty much a go to i think.
However, my sister just had her dog (Frenchie) allergy tested and one of the high numbered food items she was allergic to was pumpkin! I was really surprised.

All dogs are different and maybe pumpkin is your culprit. only way to rule out is to remove all extras and test out slowly one thing at a time..

I hope as you do this things start to improve

OP
ladywebb

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
I am so late to this thread.. I hope that just going back to the Fromm for a bit has settled his tummy down. I did want to mention, i know most of us use pumpkin to help firm up stools.. it's pretty much a go to i think.
However, my sister just had her dog (Frenchie) allergy tested and one of the high numbered food items she was allergic to was pumpkin! I was really surprised.

All dogs are different and maybe pumpkin is your culprit. only way to rule out is to remove all extras and test out slowly one thing at a time..

I hope as you do this things start to improve

Good info on the pumpkin! I went ahead and did a bland diet and finally (knock on wood..dont want to jinx anything) poo looks to be getting back to normal and he finally went all night not having to go out!! Yay! Will definitely be starting back to square 1 with food (his normal or whatever other food I decide to go with).
Thanks to everyone for the advice!

OP
ladywebb

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
Yes!!
We were over feeding my Bella when she was real young! She seemed to always be hungry. Are so fast and wanted more.
But then she would have diarrhea!
It took a few days and a lot of messy clean ups to figure it out.

Gilbert definitely gives you the "I'm still hungry " look. Especially when doing the bland diet and no treats! Poor baby..lol! Guess just all trial and error and dont fix what works!:)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
99% of dogs will eat 24/7 bottomless pits. Like teenagers.

Staff online

Members online