HELP - My bulldog suffered FCE/spinal stroke

OdisBlu

Sep 6, 2021
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Odis Blu
Odis Blu, our full of life 4-year old English Bulldog suffered a stroke to the spine on August 30, 2021. It has left him with all four limbs temporarily paralyzed - left side more severe than the right. The medical term for the spinal stroke is Fibrocartilagenous Embolism (FCE). The neurologist is optimistic with a 75% chance of recovery in his favor. He has deep pain sensation in all four limbs. He developed an UTI and diarrhea, which was ongoing for almost four days. It has been an enormous challenge given his lack of being able to move. Due to his diarrhea, he, unfortunately, developed a butt rash wherein his tail pocket, anus, general butt area and scrotum are all irritated and raw. Because doctors were unable to send him home with an in-dwelling urinary catheter, we were forced to try to express his bladder manually. However, given his anatomy and paralysis, we were unsuccessful. Nurses who cared for him in the ICU also had a difficult time trying to locate his bladder. We were ultimately forced to take him twice a day to the primary vet for them to manually express his bladder or use a temporary catheter pump. He has since began urinating on his own, but hesitant to urinate or defecate in his home because heā€™s such a good boy. This may be the reason he developed an UTI.

In just a week, costs for his hospitalization and diagnosis (MRI, ICU stay, medications, etc) have sky-rocketed. We have not gone into the rehabilitation process as of yet. We have started a GoFundMe page to try raise some money for his medical process and eventual recovery. The link to his GoFundMe page is as follows, should anyone be interested in donating towards his recovery:

We are currently expecting our second child (currently 8.5 months pregnant) along with raising an 11-month old baby, trying to work from home due to COVID with minimal physical family support. Working from home is a blessing in disguise for his situation as we are able to care for him 24/7.

I have attached some photos of him this past week. The photo with the harness where heā€™s on the gurney is the day we picked him up from the ER after he was diagnosed. The photo of him in the car with the black towel is when we took him to his primary vet to have his bladder expressed. The photos of him standing and sitting are more recent after he was hospitalized for the second time due to his secondary issues.

We are trying to scramble within our brains to find the best solutions. Due to the doctors not allowing him to go home with a catheter, we are seeking some possible solutions for his urination management. His bowel movements seem to be under control. The nurses are hand feeding him his food and syringe feeding him water to stay hydrated. They are rotating him every 6 hours to avoid any bed sores and doing some basic exercises to keep his limbs from being stiff and developing muscle atrophy.

We are desperate for information or help. If anyone has been through something similar or could offer any advice, we would love to hear from you. Thank you in advance and please keep our fur baby in your prayers!

Attachments

• E29E48E1-7818-4C93-AE81-1001F457E39F.jpeg
    E29E48E1-7818-4C93-AE81-1001F457E39F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 120
  • A10D9C07-2DCA-4D94-A00C-16B7D7DF3E25.jpeg
    A10D9C07-2DCA-4D94-A00C-16B7D7DF3E25.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 125
  • E91E82A8-9ADD-407A-AB59-AE2010B3C0EC.jpeg
    E91E82A8-9ADD-407A-AB59-AE2010B3C0EC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 135
  • D7AC9EB4-2035-4936-9B90-91C862D4161A.jpeg
    D7AC9EB4-2035-4936-9B90-91C862D4161A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OH my gosh... I'm so very sorry to read this, and I don't know of anything that could help w/the bladder situation. Please keep us posted on his recovery efforts!!!

OP
OdisBlu

OdisBlu

Sep 6, 2021
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Odis Blu
OH my gosh... I'm so very sorry to read this, and I don't know of anything that could help w/the bladder situation. Please keep us posted on his recovery efforts!!!
Thank you for your well wishes. We should have some updates soon with some good news on his recovery process. We did get confirmation that he stood (with little assistance) on his own for about two minutes. We will definitely keep everyone posted!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you for your well wishes. We should have some updates soon with some good news on his recovery process. We did get confirmation that he stood (with little assistance) on his own for about two minutes. We will definitely keep everyone posted!
You should look into CBD oil. A few members here uses CBD for for joint issues n one for a ā€œspinal neckā€ issue and has good result. I use it as maintenance. I give it every other day. Also good results for bladder, organs, muscles etc. Most definitely you should look into this. Just a thought.

OP
OdisBlu

OdisBlu

Sep 6, 2021
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Odis Blu
You should look into CBD oil. A few members here uses CBD for for joint issues n one for a ā€œspinal neckā€ issue and has good result. I use it as maintenance. I give it every other day. Also good results for bladder, organs, muscles etc. Most definitely you should look into this. Just a thought.
Thank you! Thatā€™s very helpful. Do you recommend a specific brand or anything? Heā€™s currently taking a bunch of medication which we eventually would like to eliminate.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you! Thatā€™s very helpful. Do you recommend a specific brand or anything? Heā€™s currently taking a bunch of medication which we eventually would like to eliminate.
I just answered you in your PM. Ask @Cbrugs since Iā€™m in Canada. Wonā€™t be the same as you in the USA.

BTW, donā€™t use CBD with meds. Give it like humans 3hrs later. Or before bed if thereā€™s no meds at night.

OP
OdisBlu

OdisBlu

Sep 6, 2021
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Odis Blu
I just answered you in your PM. Ask @Cbrugs since Iā€™m in Canada. Wonā€™t be the same as you in the USA.

BTW, donā€™t use CBD with meds. Give it like humans 3hrs later. Or before bed if thereā€™s no meds at night.
Got It - thank you so much!

manecya

Jul 10, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Odis Blu, our full of life 4-year old English Bulldog suffered a stroke to the spine on August 30, 2021. It has left him with all four limbs temporarily paralyzed - left side more severe than the right. The medical term for the spinal stroke is Fibrocartilagenous Embolism (FCE). The neurologist is optimistic with a 75% chance of recovery in his favor. He has deep pain sensation in all four limbs. He developed an UTI and diarrhea, which was ongoing for almost four days. It has been an enormous challenge given his lack of being able to move. Due to his diarrhea, he, unfortunately, developed a butt rash wherein his tail pocket, anus, general butt area and scrotum are all irritated and raw. Because doctors were unable to send him home with an in-dwelling urinary catheter, we were forced to try to express his bladder manually. However, given his anatomy and paralysis, we were unsuccessful. Nurses who cared for him in the ICU also had a difficult time trying to locate his bladder. We were ultimately forced to take him twice a day to the primary vet for them to manually express his bladder or use a temporary catheter pump. He has since began urinating on his own, but hesitant to urinate or defecate in his home because heā€™s such a good boy. This may be the reason he developed an UTI.

In just a week, costs for his hospitalization and diagnosis (MRI, ICU stay, medications, etc) have sky-rocketed. We have not gone into the rehabilitation process as of yet. We have started a GoFundMe page to try raise some money for his medical process and eventual recovery. The link to his GoFundMe page is as follows, should anyone be interested in donating towards his recovery:

We are currently expecting our second child (currently 8.5 months pregnant) along with raising an 11-month old baby, trying to work from home due to COVID with minimal physical family support. Working from home is a blessing in disguise for his situation as we are able to care for him 24/7.

I have attached some photos of him this past week. The photo with the harness where heā€™s on the gurney is the day we picked him up from the ER after he was diagnosed. The photo of him in the car with the black towel is when we took him to his primary vet to have his bladder expressed. The photos of him standing and sitting are more recent after he was hospitalized for the second time due to his secondary issues.

We are trying to scramble within our brains to find the best solutions. Due to the doctors not allowing him to go home with a catheter, we are seeking some possible solutions for his urination management. His bowel movements seem to be under control. The nurses are hand feeding him his food and syringe feeding him water to stay hydrated. They are rotating him every 6 hours to avoid any bed sores and doing some basic exercises to keep his limbs from being stiff and developing muscle atrophy.

We are desperate for information or help. If anyone has been through something similar or could offer any advice, we would love to hear from you. Thank you in advance and please keep our fur baby in your prayers!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I have never heard of this and I am so sorry it has happened to your boy. I don't have anything to help but sending prayers for his recovery. Hugs to you too.

OP
OdisBlu

OdisBlu

Sep 6, 2021
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Odis Blu
I have never heard of this and I am so sorry it has happened to your boy. I don't have anything to help but sending prayers for his recovery. Hugs to you too.
Thank you for your prayers. We definitely need all the prayers and wishes for Odis to get better soon! Itā€™s definitely tough and even our vets/doctors called It a fluke because they havenā€™t seen this type of injury on an English bulldog. They see this in very active dogs and all Odis did was turn his head a little fast I guess. The neurologist said they had a patient who sneezed and was left paralyzed. So so sad

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I also have never heard of this condition, sending many prayers to your boy and you.

@oscarmayer ā€¦ any insight?

OP
OdisBlu

OdisBlu

Sep 6, 2021
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Odis Blu
I also have never heard of this condition, sending many prayers to your boy and you.

@oscarmayer ā€¦ any insight?
Thank you so much. Apparently Itā€™s not common for English bulldogs. More common in super active dogs but he does fit the criteria on paper - 3-6 years old, medium to large dogs etc. This fluke has caused him so much agony poor baby šŸ„ŗ

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Prayers for your little boy. Hoping he will have an amazing recovery and be able to have a good life.

OP
OdisBlu

OdisBlu

Sep 6, 2021
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Odis Blu
Prayers for your little boy. Hoping he will have an amazing recovery and be able to have a good life.
Thank you so much! Everyoneā€™s well wishes and prayers mean the world!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.